HIV and Autism

A number of studies link autism and HIV risk. I am one of those statistics. I have not seen any discussions of this correlation on BZ. I'm going to use this thread to forward information on the correlation of ASD and HIV because it is a very real thing that statistics are proving despite not being widely discussed in academic circles.

Guest WelshBBCigarFuck

There could be a potential link in relation to HIV and people on the spectrum, when you look for potential characteristic behaviours on the spectrum, one of them is this:

Hyperactive, impulsive, and/or inattentive behaviour.

Potentially therefore, impulsive or inattentive behaviour could lead to unsafe sexual practices or simply not enquiring to the status of a sexual partner, this potentially exposing the person to HIV. This is just one possibility as there are different characteristic behaviours, different major types of autism, I can’t say I had given it any thought until you raised this topic, which prompted me to have a look.

Not everyone on the spectrum has the same behaviours, so this sounds like a broad brush. 

There's a bunch of characteristics that might place you on the spectrum if you identify with more than a few of them, but they are pretty diverse:

[think before following links] https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses-and-conditions/brain-nerves-and-spinal-cord/autism-spectrum-disorder-asd#characteristics-of-autism

Many adults learn to work around some of the traits as they mature so they might not totally obvious, but manage more or less to confirm to societal norms. It's only recently that the world seems to be opening up a bit to celebrate the strengths of those on the spectrum rather than medicate or therapize us into normality.

Personally speaking, I can get ultra focused, and almost addicted to an idea. That happened with casual encounters, bareback culture, and poz guys.  So yeah, I guess it put me at risk to an extent. It's also why I generally avoid chems as that kind of focus and an addictive substance is a recipe for a disaster. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/4/2021 at 4:05 PM, WelshBBCigarFuck said:

There could be a potential link in relation to HIV and people on the spectrum, when you look for potential characteristic behaviours on the spectrum, one of them is this:

Hyperactive, impulsive, and/or inattentive behaviour.

Potentially therefore, impulsive or inattentive behaviour could lead to unsafe sexual practices or simply not enquiring to the status of a sexual partner, this potentially exposing the person to HIV. This is just one possibility as there are different characteristic behaviours, different major types of autism, I can’t say I had given it any thought until you raised this topic, which prompted me to have a look.

Those qualities can be ascribed to ADD/ADHD, OCD, mania/bipolar/hypomania, Narcisscistic personality disorder, drug/alcohol or polydrug addiction, etc.

I know people who have autism including Aspbergers they do not act this way, do not have unsafe sex, in some cases they are not really interested in sex or a relationship with someone, the people I know on the Autism spectrum that have sex know how to have safe sex and use condoms, know about HIV/STDs etc.

Edited by TotalTop

Guest WelshBBCigarFuck
4 hours ago, TotalTop said:

Those qualities can be ascribed to ADD/ADHD, OCD, mania/bipolar/hypomania, Narcisscistic personality disorder, drug/alcohol or polydrug addiction, etc.

I know people who have autism including Aspbergers they do not act this way, do not have unsafe sex, in some cases they are not really interested in sex or a relationship with someone, the people I know on the Autism spectrum that have sex know how to have safe sex and use condoms, know about HIV/STDs etc.

I’m not disagreeing with you, I stated that there are various major types of autism and various types of characteristic behaviour so I wasn’t attempting to draw any conclusions.
I merely noted that one of the behaviours which has been documented and can be presented by people on the autistic spectrum, namely the “hyperactive, impulsive and/or inattentive behaviour” could potentially lead to unsafe sex (by measure of impulsive and/or inattentive). I did try and say that was only one behaviour out of many different behaviours displayed by people on the autistic spectrum and that it was only a potential possibility, I wasn’t trying to say that everyone on the autistic spectrum would display that behaviour or have unsafe sex.

23 minutes ago, WelshBBCigarFuck said:

I’m not disagreeing with you, I stated that there are various major types of autism and various types of characteristic behaviour so I wasn’t attempting to draw any conclusions.
I merely noted that one of the behaviours which has been documented and can be presented by people on the autistic spectrum, namely the “hyperactive, impulsive and/or inattentive behaviour” could potentially lead to unsafe sex (by measure of impulsive and/or inattentive). I did try and say that was only one behaviour out of many different behaviours displayed by people on the autistic spectrum and that it was only a potential possibility, I wasn’t trying to say that everyone on the autistic spectrum would display that behaviour or have unsafe sex.

Okay, I was agreeing with you, or agree with what you wrote in reply here.

Guest WelshBBCigarFuck
5 minutes ago, TotalTop said:

Okay, I was agreeing with you, or agree with what you wrote in reply here.

Sorry, I thought I had said something which had caused offence, which wasn’t what I was aiming for when I originally posted on this topic. I just thought I should try and better explain my original posting on this topic so as to say I wasn’t trying to make any sweeping generalisations.

Edited by WelshBBCigarFuck
Edit

On 9/4/2021 at 3:59 AM, Hairypiglet said:

A number of studies link autism and HIV risk. I am one of those statistics. I have not seen any discussions of this correlation on BZ. I'm going to use this thread to forward information on the correlation of ASD and HIV because it is a very real thing that statistics are proving despite not being widely discussed in academic circles.

I haven't seen anything that suggests autism is a risk factor for HIV, however there are studies that are suggesting the reverse:  Autism isn't a psychological disorder but is instead a symptom of an immunological imbalance that may have viral origins.

Here is a link to one such study:    [think before following links] https://www.oatext.com/the-cause-of-autism-and-chronic-disease-from-misunderstanding-to-treatment-recovery-and-prevention.php#Article

That said, autistic behaviors could lead to more risk taking which could lead to a higher rate of HIV. (And if the relationship I mentioned above is true, it could develop a feedback loop where a virus causes an imbalance that leads to behaviors that make someone more susceptible to future viral infections.)  If you know of studies or statistics showing that type of correlation, or show percentages of people with both HIV and autism, I'd be interested in seeing them.

On 9/6/2021 at 4:32 AM, BareLover666 said:

And hopefully people won't confuse correlation with causality.

This ^ was exactly my reaction as well.

I remember doctors asking me how my teeth were back in the day.  "My teeth??" I'd reply back.  Doctor would try to explain, "Yes, many HIV+ folks have poor oral health".  Hah, well: "I go to a dentist, have all my teeth, so that's not an issue for me" I'd chuckle ... with a smile.  Even doctors over-generalize when their patient clearly shows no signs of correlation to some study.

Edited by chipygmalion80
typo
  • Like 1

It's correlation. People with autism are less likely to stand their ground in regards to practicing safe sexas well as having tactile aversions and skin/touch sensitivities that might inhibit their use if certain items for safe sex. I don't use social media anymore, so I can't find the links, but there was an autistic guy with HIV in Toronto putting out all kinds of survey studies that showed correlation between autism and HIV risk.

Well me i have slight autism which when it comes to condoms i cant stand the feeling of condoms i used to think it was an alergy to them and im easily manipulated into doing things i wouldn't normally do like certain sexual acts.

• 1 year later...
On 9/13/2021 at 1:48 PM, racerboi77j said:

Following because I suspect that I have ASD, and am an unsuccessful (so far) bug chaser. For some with ASD, the thought of bug chasing can become one of those interest that become all consuming. At least it has for me. 

I am borderline ASD I have ADD, I am not chasing yet but like you the thought of getting pozzed is becoming more and more consuming for me to