What should i do if i forgot to take PrEP for one day???

rodoonestandard

1 minute ago, rodoonestandard said:

What should i do?

Nothing, skipping a day now and again doesn't hurt and taking two to make up for it has no benefit (according to my doctor) just make sure you take it regularly and don't get into the habit of skipping. I use a weekly pill box so I know when I've forgotten and what day.

Taking prep regularly keeps the drug in your system to do what it needs to, one day missed has little if any impact, several days however is a different issue as the amount in your system is lessened.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

In PrEP research studies that include adherence monitoring, participants who have taken at least 4 of 7 daily Truvada pills in a given week are generally considered protected.

It's important to note that this covers receptive anal sex. Drug concentrations vary in different body tissues. For receptive vaginal sex, daily dosing means daily dosing; there's much less margin for error.

Some PrEP users report that taking Truvada at the same time each day (even though the time of day doesn't matter) helps them sustain the routine.

Most of all, be sure to discuss missed doses with your PrEP provider. Part of providing good PrEP care means supporting patients with adherence.

It may also be informative to learn about intermittent or "2-1-1" dosing — not necessarily because you want to switch, but because the research will put your mind at ease about missing occasional daily doses. If you are in the US, intermittent or "2-1-1" dosing is discussed in some depth in the forthcoming 2021 revision to the CDC PrEP guidelines. The guidelines are a great resource for medical professionals and for informed patients, because they reference actual research.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1. stop having unprotected (bare) sex for now, and call the doctor who prescribed your PrEP to ask how long it takes for you to be protected again. 

it seems that taking a double dose as in the 2-1-1 method would make you safe again in a couple of hours but there are no doctors here and I really think a medical professional should coach you in your PrEP use and how you practice safe sex while your on these meds. as far as I know.- there are are no medical professionals here on this site and if there are they don't know you or your personal medical history.
I'm not a fan of people on their own changing the way they take their PrEP because these are serious drugs with effects on your entire body and organs.

2. if you've already had (bare) sex after missing one or more doses: call that doctor ASAP and discuss if you should go on PEP.
I don't know and it might not be necessary but that's a question that seems importent to ask in order to protect yourself.

3. don't worry TOO much. it seems a bit panicky what I'm advising you but these are just precautions. HIV is actually quite hard to catch.
I'm just telling you where to go as you obviously want to be as safe as possible, or you wouldn't have gone on PrEP in the fist place. and there are rare cases of someone becoming positive on their first date while losing their virginity. VERY rare cases, but still.

please remember living with HIV is not the end of the world either, it's no longer a death sentence if you have acces to treatment. so chill... and be sensible while you get help.

good luck!

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

According to my knowledge based on many studies, daily taking of PREP is the safest but there is another option to take it every second days. It offers almost the same level of security. If one doesn’t have regular bareback sex, one can take PREP on demand.  This means at least 2 hours before sex one pill and after it 2 pills two days long. 
So, don’t worry nothing happened. However, making a daily routine, attaching the time of taking is something can help not to forget it. For example, I take it every day 9 am. But if know that I will sleep because I come home early morning (it happens regularly when I attend in bareback orgies)  I take it right when I arrived at home. 

1 hour ago, bareback-flipflop said:

According to my knowledge based on many studies, daily taking of PREP is the safest but there is another option to take it every second days. It offers almost the same level of security. If one doesn’t have regular bareback sex, one can take PREP on demand.  This means at least 2 hours before sex one pill and after it 2 pills two days long. 
So, don’t worry nothing happened. However, making a daily routine, attaching the time of taking is something can help not to forget it. For example, I take it every day 9 am. But if know that I will sleep because I come home early morning (it happens regularly when I attend in bareback orgies)  I take it right when I arrived at home. 

could you give us links to which studies you are referring?

The only regimes I know are either daily or the 2-1-1 regime around the time you have sex. 

1 hour ago, BareLover666 said:

could you give us links to which studies you are referring?

The only regimes I know are either daily or the 2-1-1 regime around the time you have sex. 

Before starting, I got some brochures for studying which contained links as well. Unfortunately these are in Hungarian. I found one of them on the internet. However, it’s an old result, supposedly newer results are also available. 
[think before following links] https://doi.org/10.1016/S1473-3099(14)70847-3
(The Lancet)

1 hour ago, bareback-flipflop said:

Before starting, I got some brochures for studying which contained links as well. Unfortunately these are in Hungarian. I found one of them on the internet. However, it’s an old result, supposedly newer results are also available. 
[think before following links] [think before following links] https://doi.org/10.1016/S1473-3099(14)70847-3
(The Lancet)

Thanks.

the summery that I can acces doesn't really go into regime.

@rodoonestandard and others should probably stick to the advice their doctors give, and not try things out.

Seems like a very broad study, and data might be hard to interpret for laymen like us.

14 hours ago, BareLover666 said:

Thanks.

the summery that I can acces doesn't really go into regime.

@rodoonestandard and others should probably stick to the advice their doctors give, and not try things out.

Seems like a very broad study, and data might be hard to interpret for laymen like us.

I totally agree with you. Therefore, I take every day and made my daily routine. Prep itself is not a fun but medical treatment for prevention (for enjoying fun).  So, I worry about guys who take Prep without controlling it by doctors. It is typical here in Hungary, where Prep is not supported by the state and only one doctor has te right to prescribe it. And this costs quite lot of money.