How unusual is it for a bottom not to use poppers?

backdoorjimmy

As someone who strictly bottoms, I've been offered poppers more times than I can remember but I've always been nervous about trying them. So I either say "no thanks" or just act like I didn't hear the offer and try to ignore it so I won't feel pressured.

It sounds dumb when I type it out here, but I've never used poppers, or any other substances like meth or pot. I tried to drink a beer once and couldn't even finish it. Usually when I say "no thanks", it's accepted and we move on.  But one time it caused the guy I was with to feel judged and he called off the hookup. It sucked but I wasn't willing to go outside my comfort zone. I've also had some guys tell me that they rarely or never meet slutty bottoms who don't want to hit poppers, and that I'm the only one they know who won't try it. My bf and his boys all drink and smoke weed but they don't even bother asking me if I want in because I've passed on it so many times before.

Is it really that much of a rarity for guys like me to avoid any kind of drugs or alcohol? I see threads about chem sex and poppers all the time but I never comment because I have nothing to add since I've never tried it before. Sometimes it makes me wonder if I'm being a prude and if it's worth trying at least once, but if I'm honest it makes me nervous since addiction runs in my family.

• Like 3

It's probably true that a lot of gay men use poppers. But that's not an indication that you need to, or should, in any way, shape, or form.

Fuck the guy who tried to shame you for not using them - it's no skin off his back if you don't, and it would instantly make me suspicious he hoped to use the "high" they produce to trick you into accepting something that was otherwise off the table, or that he wasn't going to ask you about.

I'm 57 years old, and I used them a couple of times in my early 20's because a top with whom I played insisted they would make the experience immensely better. All they did for me was give me a headache, and frankly, I've never had trouble bottoming even not using poppers. I'm sure there are some - a few - bottoms out there who can't do the deed without them, but honestly, most men probably pass fecal matter that's larger than any cock they're getting on a regular basis, so I call bullshit on that excuse for most guys.

I'm all for people enjoying sex in whatever state they best like it, but I for one prefer a mind firmly present in the here and now, for both me and my partner. I used to drink a moderate amount in social situations, but I've even quit that mostly, because I just don't need it and I notice how annoying most people who've had more than a couple of drinks get. Like you, I come from a family with some history of addiction, so I'm doubly cautious for that.

In sum: do what YOU feel comfortable with, not what other people are trying to make you comfortable with. Kudos to your BF and his friends for not pushing you to drink or smoke weed - it seems like they grasp the concept of "to each his own."

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

I tried poppers once but strong smells like that just give me a headache which kills the mood so I don't use them. I've tried some other drugs over the years but didn't really like the effects (of most) so I don't use drugs, either. Same with alcohol -- I'll have a drink occasionally with dinner for the flavor of the drink and probably won't drink the whole thing. I don't know how "rare" it is for a bottom to not use substances, but I can say you are not the only one. I can also say that you shouldn't feel judged or pressured to use something when you don't want to.  There's nothing wrong with being sober and aware of your situation and surroundings. especially in anonymous situations, your safety and security are more important.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

If you don't want to use them then don't. I have used poppers. Yes, it makes me (even more) horny, but some also leave me with a splitting headache. I do get a high and a rush but that doesn't last very long. Some bottoms say they need them to "open up" their hole because they feel more relaxed. That may be true for some, not so for others. 

Don't let anyone talk you into using something that you don't want to.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

I’ve never used them, either. But, in high school I tried something called “rush” that’s apparently the same thing. Though, not meant for the same purpose. 
It wasn’t for me, and I’ve never had any desire at all to use poppers. 

5 minutes ago, YrGudBtm80 said:

I’ve never used them, either. But, in high school I tried something called “rush” that’s apparently the same thing. Though, not meant for the same purpose. 
It wasn’t for me, and I’ve never had any desire at all to use poppers. 

Rush is a popper brand

You don’t need to have any negative feeling about not using substances. Especially if you’re aware that you may be at higher risk of addiction, you’re playing it smart to stay away from a lifestyle that could lead you there.

Poppers themselves, however, are not addictive.

Aside from poppers, I do not use any substance, and I don’t use poppers the way many guys do - I don’t use them for pleasure, or to get a rush or to feel slutty (got that covered) - I use them judiciously to keep my cunt open and receptive so I can give Tops my best service. For me, they’re not a recreational drug, they’re a pharmaceutical with a use.

Frankly, if you take cock the way you like just fine without them, I’d say don’t bother with them. Sex is much better when your head’s in the game. Plus, if you don’t have any, then the Top can’t ask you for a snort of them and then go limp as a noodle because he thinks he’s somehow immune to that effect. It drives me crazy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As a bottom I do like using poppers, especially if I’ve not been fucked for a while or the top has a big cock or he’s pounding me hard (off the bed hard!), but I don’t always use them. 
They don’t necessarily make the sex any better - good sex is always down to the mindset of those involved I think, so no one should think that they need to use enhancements if they don’t want to. 

• Like 1

Sex is one of the most free things or should have to be.  Do what you enjoy if it isn’t something what your actual partner doesn’t want. So, if you don’t want to use drugs or poppers it’s your choice and it’s not of the other’s business. It’s so simple. 
I like poppers but if I’m in a real flipflop I rarely use it because it takes my hardon away. However, I never tried any drugs, even though in house orgies usually I am the only one who doesn’t use chms. My partners (especially in the first occasion) try to push me on trying it, but until now always accepted my decision. Once I was a cumdump for ten hours and one of the breeders asked what kind of chms I used and he was absolutely surprised to hear my answer. Then he asked how I could bear to be fucked for a long time. I replied  that I love cocks, being fucked and bred. It makes me totally loose. 
I assume that this is the situation with you, therefore you don’t need any additional stuff. Be happy with this because it means that you are able to enjoy sex totally freely

• Thanks 1

i've never been drunk or stoned in my life. i've never even had a beer, though i do have an occasional glass of wine with dinner if out with friends who are having wine. i was around a ton of drugs growing up, i just never took them. As a critical care nurse, i have seen to many of the affects of stuff like meth and it's not worth the risk for me.

Having said that, i have used poppers. Not really into using them on my self, but find it extremely hot when a Top poppers me. i think i probably get off on the submission and control aspect of it more than the actual poppers. i don't like to be forced, shamed or bullied to do anything. That shuts me down. But when i see and feel the lustful pleasure a Top gets controlling me, i open right up.... and i have had lots of Tops tell me they love to use poppers on a bottom because it "opens them up."  They do me, in more than one way. 

• Like 1

Eh, it's not that unusual. I enjoy them occasionally but most of my long term hookups couldn't stand them or had no interest in them at all.

An issue I've noticed is some guys form a habit of using poppers for every sex act and while poppers themselves aren't addictive people can become dependant on the high.

That a guy cancelled a hook up because you don't use them says a lot more about them than you. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, tallslenderguy said:

i've never been drunk or stoned in my life.

I have been intoxicated exactly once. I did it intentionally, in order to have a frame of experiential reference. When I lived in Boston, I asked a friend of mine (who was well acquainted with spiritous beverages) to take me to a nearby bar any ply me with whatever was required to get me drunk. Whatever they were, she gave me three of them.

Before I went, I took a handwriting sample for comparison with one to be taken when I had reached the target state of inebriation. I took notes. In hindsight, as I approached the entire effort much as a science experiment, I suppose I may have been the most unentertaining drunk ever.

The result was that I felt a bit dizzy, the handwriting was marginally inaccurate, and I concluded the affair with no better understanding of why people do it than when I started, so I found no reason to ever do it again. Besides, everything alcoholic I’ve ever put in my mouth tastes vile. What’s wine? Rotten grape juice, essentially. Bourbon? Rotten corn juice. Sake? Rotten rice water. Mezcal? Rotten agave juice with a worm in it. See the pattern developing there? Bleh.

At least you don’t taste poppers. Well, best not. Drinking them makes your blood unable to carry enough oxygen and then ☠️

• Like 1