Please check this out and respond…

rawTOP

On 1/2/2022 at 10:30 AM, WelshBBCigarFuck said:

Agree 10/10 U.K. here

I’ve got clinically high risk elderly parents living 16 miles from me so I have had to do all their shopping, home maintenance and other activities for them for nearly 2 years, so have stuck fairly rigidly to masks, vaccinations, social distancing etc (It’s not much fun shopping at 6am and then coming back to do a full day’s work before then taking the shopping over to them - but needs must). Been working from home for 20 months so far too, it is fairly isolating and virtual meetings isn’t the same as meeting in person, so it’s not ideal for mental health, but I suppose it’s safer.

I'm in a similar situation. Overall, everyone has to assess risk and outcomes and behave accordingly. The frustrating thing is that the actions of others have a bearing on you. I was on the train the other day and there were a lot of Chelsea supporters on the train making it quite crowded. NONE were masked. Talking about it they were of the opinion that Omicron wasn't so bad and it would be better to 'get infected and get it over and done with'.  That made me quite anxious as my approach to risk is somewhat different considering my additional role as a carer. So... to mitigate the risk, I will take a 3 day break and test before resuming. I think I am reaching the point of accepting that everyone has varying assessments of risk and that's not going to change. If I were not in the position I am in, my attitude would be more relaxed and I wouldn't want to miss out on things in life. But I can't help thinking masking up on a crowded train is just polite. 

10/10 Buckinghamshire / London

I live in Kentucky, a state with 120 counties, and my county is one of the five with the highest infection rates per 100,000. Of our total population, 21%, have now had COVID so far. I don’t go out unless I must. Few here would agree with very many of these listed items.

I, on the other hand, agree with 9 of them. I must decline to render an opinion on number 10, as I consider “high risk” too undefined to evaluate in the context of the question, and I believe “sufficient capacity” in hospitals, again, in context, implies that there is an acceptable level at which we can accommodate otherwise avoidable suffering and death as long as we have the space. I am uncertain as to your intent, so I abstain on this one.

• Moderators

I agree with 10/10.  I'll add that my agreement with #10 would be significantly stronger if it were tweaked to include the idea of consensual risk (one that is surely familiar to most members of this forum!)

Raised in Colorado, living in West Virginia.

9.5 out of 10

Phoenix, AZ

The only part I disagree with is from #7 (“All of the above can be helpful and together they can ‘flatten the curve’ but they may never completely get rid of COVID as a threat”). All of the recommended measures listed above #7 would be helpful and together they would flatten the curve and would completely get rid of COVID as a threat if everyone complied with them. The way #7 is written implies that the recommended measures themselves would never innately be effective at eliminating COVID in and of themselves, even assuming perfect compliance. The problem, of course, is not the ineffectiveness of the measures themselves but rather our society’s ineffectiveness, i.e., our failure to build a world with enough education and social cohesion to maximize compliance.

• Administrators
46 minutes ago, 11bi11guy said:

9.5 out of 10

Phoenix, AZ

The only part I disagree with is from #7 (“All of the above can be helpful and together they can ‘flatten the curve’ but they may never completely get rid of COVID as a threat”). All of the recommended measures listed above #7 would be helpful and together they would flatten the curve and would completely get rid of COVID as a threat if everyone complied with them. The way #7 is written implies that the recommended measures themselves would never innately be effective at eliminating COVID in and of themselves, even assuming perfect compliance. The problem, of course, is not the ineffectiveness of the measures themselves but rather our society’s ineffectiveness, i.e., our failure to build a world with enough education and social cohesion to maximize compliance.

I don't mean to start an argument or anything, but the fact that COVID is deer populations and their strains of COVID match the strains of COVID in the humans near them suggests that even if humans did everything perfectly, we'll never quite get rid of COVID because the deer can infect us the same way we infected them.

• Like 1