Remote Work - Best place for a horny gay guy to live?

Breedingandseeding

48 minutes ago, ejaculaTe said:

I wouldn't say the quoting feature is wonky, just that the developer didn't envision quotations within quotations. 

Actually, when I hit "quote" on your post (which quotes me), it only quotes the parts YOU posted, not my original quote. That's how it SHOULD work. I'm not sure why ErosWired's quoting went astray, but it's definitely not working the way mine does (and yours did, above).

23 minutes ago, BootmanLA said:

Actually, when I hit "quote" on your post (which quotes me), it only quotes the parts YOU posted, not my original quote. That's how it SHOULD work. I'm not sure why ErosWired's quoting went astray, but it's definitely not working the way mine does (and yours did, above).

I suspect that what happens is that I don’t simply hit the ‘Quote’ button. When I quote, I usually try to only quote the section specifically relevant to my response, so I select the text and then hit the ‘quote selection’ option that appears. Evidently this is where the system fails to distinguish the context of the material and defaults to the overall post author. I will have to be more careful. 

What I do is hit the quote button, then chop off the irrelevant parts. And if I need to quote a second time from the same post (from a widely separated section) I just hit the quote button again, and repeat except deleting the original quote along with anything not needed the second round. Complex but seems to work. 

On 2/24/2022 at 12:57 PM, TheSRQDude said:

When you said all of this, I had to look up where Defiance County actually is. Turns out your nearest major city in Ohio isn't much better. 

Saturday Night in Toledo, Ohio

(Complete with the truckers)I feel for you, @ohmalewhore. I really do. 😀

Don't you hate when the link you've placed gets removed once you post? Yeah, me too. Sorry, @ohmalewhore. Here's the actual link.

• Like 1

Columbus had a pretty thriving gay scene and was pretty affordable. 

Cleveland is super cheap to live but I found the hook up experiences to be so so. Some fun nights downtown and some good experiences at Flex but outside of that it was iffy. 

Portland had a GREAT scene and some real pigs I hooked up over the years I was there. Expensive as shit to live their though. 

In Chicago now and I’ve had a few fun experiences but has been pretty dogged down by work so I haven’t had a chance to really explore the fun parts of the city. For a major metropolitan area though I find it pretty affordable if you don’t live in city proper. There’s plenty of nice burbs around the city and travel time isn’t too bad .

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 2/26/2022 at 2:31 AM, Fprefect570 said:

Cleveland is super cheap to live but I found the hook up experiences to be so so. Some fun nights downtown and some good experiences at Flex but outside of that it was iffy.

I think the "super cheap" line kinda resonates on that one. I know there's been some improvement since this video was made, but...its Cleveland: The Mistake on the Lake. I somehow can't see it becoming a gay Mecca.

[think before following links] [think before following links] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM

Edited by TheSRQDude

Columbus.  Get here before it gets expensive lol.  With Intel and bunch of other companies we won't be a hidden gem for much longer.  Pro:  Cheap to live here, lots of gay bars, and lots of gay men means lots of dick/ass to be had, liberal city inside the outerbelt, and close to other gay cities for weekend getaways.  Cons:  It's not as big as NYC or LA but also that's not a bad thing, we don't have an adult book store with glory holes, and only one cruisy bar (AWOL, but we have tons of normal gay bars, and even one of the last lesbian bars left).  the weather in winter:  but beacuse it's cheap here, I just went to IBC last weekend, which I couldn't afford when I lived in NYC.  

• 1 month later...
On 2/23/2022 at 11:54 PM, ejaculaTe said:

@TheSRQDude is depressingly right about Philadelphia. The only thing he didn't mention is that the parking regulations occasionally make the US tax code look like a model of plain writing.

I'll offer another locale as a possibility: northern Delaware, more precisely the suburban area of New Castle County, but probably not Wilmington (largest city in the state). Northern New Castle County has the advantage of being within a 30 minute drive of Philadelphia (I-95 and I-495). There's no sales tax; the income tax rates won't cause your eyes to bulge; state and local government are reasonably well-run ; and the state legislature seems pretty reasonable nowadays, far more so than when I lived there. In the America of 2022, there are far more worse places to live....

Funny we have been chatting, I was born and raised in Philadelphia.  The parking situation in downtown is a nightmare.  I often stay in south Philadelphia with buddy and I can tell you the number of guys there are plentiful.  I can also say there are many who are in relationships, so if you post that you are visiting from out of town you can get so many guys that normally would not take a chance on hooking up with a local.  I can go to Philly for five days, and literally go through 5 to 8 guys in a day.  My friend who I stay with jokes he is virtually my doorman, and gets pissed that many of the guys I hook up with he recognizes from the gym or gay bars and they pay him no mind.  He is extremely attractive so what is the issue?? He is a local......and people talk.  You mentioned the parking and in south Philadelphia it is awful for residents.  My friend who lives there racked up over $3000 is parking tickets, his car was booted and then towed away.  He NEVER bothered to go and get it back, I could not believe it.

Guys are everywhere in Philadelphia.  I went to school and then college there, I moved to Florida in my late 20s.  I often miss the public transportation.  My friend told me not to come back with the rising crime and rents going through the roof.

Now I am facing the same rental increases in the Tampa/St Pete area, and Philadelphia can have some terrible winters. It is interesting I was chatting with you about the video recording and now I find out you are well acquainted with my home town.  Now you live in the Tampa area.  Talk about a coincidence....

3 hours ago, ellentonboy said:

Funny we have been chatting, I was born and raised in Philadelphia.  The parking situation in downtown is a nightmare...It is interesting I was chatting with you about the video recording and now I find out you are well acquainted with my home town.  Now you live in the Tampa area.  Talk about a coincidence....

(Queue Will Smith singing the Fresh Prince theme song) 😃🤣

13th Street used to be the jaun! Yes, Philly region, born and bred, and there was a lot to like there while growing up as a kid. I worked a summer at Wanamaker's at 13th and Market, and coming in each morning, I used to get propositioned by the tranny hookers hanging out, only to go to Wanamaker's and be hit on by the other sales clerks. 😉 If you moved when you did, you missed a lot of the revitalization that occurred during the 90's and was subsequently undone ever since. Philly actually became kinda nice during that time, and then went precipitously downhill and the jobs moved out -- north, west, Delaware, NYC, etc.

Phila Parking Authority is a nightmare. Ever watch Parking Wars? It's all them, and those are the tamer encounters. Since the 60's, South Philadelphians parked in the middle of Broad Street, and they were stoned out of meetings when those cars were ticketed (probably the same crowd who boo'ed Sant Claus and pelted him with snowballs). I managed to avoid tickets but that's no easy feat for street parking. Finding broken meters (or ones that soon would be) turned out to be a saving grace. 😉 Between skyrocketing crime, spiking rents, and onerous city taxes, I don't know anyone who'd go back when you could live outside the city and commute...or just live elsewhere period.

Funny how it's such a small world. We probably know enough of the same haunts.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheSRQDude said:

(Queue Will Smith singing the Fresh Prince theme song) 😃🤣

13th Street used to be the jaun! Yes, Philly region, born and bred, and there was a lot to like there while growing up as a kid. I worked a summer at Wanamaker's at 13th and Market, and coming in each morning, I used to get propositioned by the tranny hookers hanging out, only to go to Wanamaker's and be hit on by the other sales clerks. 😉 If you moved when you did, you missed a lot of the revitalization that occurred during the 90's and was subsequently undone ever since. Philly actually became kinda nice during that time, and then went precipitously downhill and the jobs moved out -- north, west, Delaware, NYC, etc.

Phila Parking Authority is a nightmare. Ever watch Parking Wars? It's all them, and those are the tamer encounters. Since the 60's, South Philadelphians parked in the middle of Broad Street, and they were stoned out of meetings when those cars were ticketed (probably the same crowd who boo'ed Sant Claus and pelted him with snowballs). I managed to avoid tickets but that's no easy feat for street parking. Finding broken meters (or ones that soon would be) turned out to be a saving grace. 😉 Between skyrocketing crime, spiking rents, and onerous city taxes, I don't know anyone who'd go back when you could live outside the city and commute...or just live elsewhere period.

Funny how it's such a small world. We probably know enough of the same haunts.

So what are the chances we would be from the same city?   I still go back to party and play, to hook up with guys that didn't know me back then and those I never met.  I could put a turnstile outside my buddy's place at 12th and Porter and just count the number of guys I can get off of Barebackrt., a4a even the goddy goddy manhunt site.  I work out at the gym on 12th street that had all the hot trainers, now most of them have opened their own stuidios.  I used to go up for the circuit event because it was a real sausage fest for me, new blonde guy in town so to speak.  It was the first time a buddy put me in front of a web cam and before you knew it we had an invite to an all the dick and favors you can handle party at a very nice hotel on Rittenhouse Square.  My career took off once I actually got to Florida, even though I began working for the Feds in Philadelphia.  Like you said, rental space was at a premium, and most agencies were moving to Cleveland.  I worked in the old post office building across the street from the Gallery Mall as well as on Jeweler's Row, and of course the William Green Federal Building.  Coming to Florida, though I took a lower graded position, paid off as I was able to navigate my way through the federal hiring system and ended up with the Department of Agriculture.  

You mentioned Wanamaker's.....so funny.  I think they were the first store to give me a credit card after I graduated from college.  I was sorry to hear they closed.  My father closed his business, it was on S. Waters Street down by the Delaware River.  It was constantly being broken into and he just couldn't take it anymore.  I was so fortunate he retired at an early age and I was able to find a government job in Tampa and initially commute from Ellenton.  Agriculture eventually had me stationed in Sarasota and working from home, with that salary was pure gravy.  

I miss Philly and being able to take the Subway.  I used to go to "Woody's" bar because they didn't card me and I could get in when I was 17.  I remember the "Key West" Bar, and "Equus" where all the hotties went.  My favorite after hours place was the old 2-4 club, where we could party and stay out all night.  If you couldn't get laid there (and party) you couldn't do it anywhere.  Hopefully I will get to chat with you soon,

27 minutes ago, ellentonboy said:

So what are the chances we would be from the same city?   I still go back to party and play, to hook up with guys that didn't know me back then and those I never met.  I could put a turnstile outside my buddy's place at 12th and Porter and just count the number of guys I can get off of Barebackrt., a4a even the goddy goddy manhunt site.  I work out at the gym on 12th street that had all the hot trainers, now most of them have opened their own stuidios.  I used to go up for the circuit event because it was a real sausage fest for me, new blonde guy in town so to speak.  It was the first time a buddy put me in front of a web cam and before you knew it we had an invite to an all the dick and favors you can handle party at a very nice hotel on Rittenhouse Square.  My career took off once I actually got to Florida, even though I began working for the Feds in Philadelphia.  Like you said, rental space was at a premium, and most agencies were moving to Cleveland.  I worked in the old post office building across the street from the Gallery Mall as well as on Jeweler's Row, and of course the William Green Federal Building.  Coming to Florida, though I took a lower graded position, paid off as I was able to navigate my way through the federal hiring system and ended up with the Department of Agriculture.  

You mentioned Wanamaker's.....so funny.  I think they were the first store to give me a credit card after I graduated from college.  I was sorry to hear they closed.  My father closed his business, it was on S. Waters Street down by the Delaware River.  It was constantly being broken into and he just couldn't take it anymore.  I was so fortunate he retired at an early age and I was able to find a government job in Tampa and initially commute from Ellenton.  Agriculture eventually had me stationed in Sarasota and working from home, with that salary was pure gravy.  

I miss Philly and being able to take the Subway.  I used to go to "Woody's" bar because they didn't card me and I could get in when I was 17.  I remember the "Key West" Bar, and "Equus" where all the hotties went.  My favorite after hours place was the old 2-4 club, where we could party and stay out all night.  If you couldn't get laid there (and party) you couldn't do it anywhere.  Hopefully I will get to chat with you soon,

To say nothing of the Chancellor Club. Loved it there 🙂

• Upvote 1

Depending on when you need to relocate, and depending on how much you love wanton sex, Ft. L. would be a consideration - in a number of months.  The recent (and outrageous) rise in real estate prices is probably (this according to several realtors I know) within a few months of descending, having reach their zenith recently.  

Whatever kind of sex you love most, it's here, and in abundance.

i think it depends on what kind of connections are most important to You. Are You looking for lots of anonymous sex? Move to a place that has a sex shop with lots of activity, often next to an interstate freeway. You can find those just about anywhere and internet culture doesn't really come into play.  i have consistently gotten sex in a booth in a sex shop, not unusual to get fucked 4 or 5 times in an hour in a busy sex shop.  Of course, that is an environment that is focused on sex alone, so if you want more, than that is only part of the equation.

If You are looking for an active gay community in addition to sex, i'd suggest Palm Springs. Estimates are about 40% of the population is gay. There are several "gay resorts" there, as well as the usual sex shops. Though PS has experienced the same real estate increases as the rest of the country, there is a broad range of housing cost. i live in a small town in Oregon and considered moving there before Covid hit, i could make a lateral move when it comes to housing cost. If You are a renter, there are tons of rentals in PS, it's condo city. Lot's of people buy condos as an investment, so there are lots of rentals.  Taxes, gas and other costs can be high in CA. You are also close to San Diego, Mexico and Los Angeles. i fly to PS a couple of times a year and often fly into SD or LA and drive to PS if air fair is cheaper. 2 hours from SD, 1 hour from Oontario airport in LA. 

• Like 2

On 2/23/2022 at 1:56 PM, evilcoyote said:

You should also check with your employer as they may be remote but there could be restrictions on where you can live.

This is a good point. Some employers have model employment agreements only for certain states.

I want to add one other suggestion, because I myself, my boyfriend, and some friends have recently negotiated employment agreements.

Although the urban parts of California are pricey (see my earlier post for a way to minimize rental housing costs in the long-term, while still staying in an urban area), California has excellent worker protections.

Just like health insurance and quality health care, this point might not seem important at first glance, but it matters a great deal to your economic future.

• High state minimum wage, and higher local minimum wages in some cities (ripple effect on wages for workers at all levels — even for salaried workers, given that California pegs the salary threshold for exemption from hourly wage rules to double the state minimum wage)

• Paydays at least twice a month

• Paid vacation (if offered) as a vested benefit, meaning that the employer must pay you cash for accrued but unused vacation when your employment ends

• Right to designate your personal doctor for workers' compensation evaluations, rather than being forced to use the company doctor (but you must designate before something happens, and your doctor must agree)

• Ownership of intellectual property that you create, when it is not related to work, is made after working hours, and is made without using the employer's resources (an important right if you write, make art, program computers, etc.)

• Most non-compete and non-solicitation agreements invalid (as long as you stay in California, you can work for whoever you like after you quit your job)

• No mandatory arbitration for state labor law issues (you can no longer be forced, as a condition of employment, to sign an agreement requiring arbitration of California Labor Code issues; you are free to get help from state agencies that enforce the Labor Code)

• No mandatory transfer of jurisdiction (you can no longer be forced, as a condition of employment, to sign an agreement that removes California's jurisdiction over your work; many employers rely on the lax labor laws of other states; in California, you can only give up California jurisdiction if you are represented by attorney, who can presumably balance your interests when negotiating an employment agreement)

• Right to be paid in full the same day that your employment ends (always, if the employer terminates you or, if you resign, then as long as you've given 72 hours' notice)

• State registration required for mass layoffs, with some advance notice (a flimsy protection as companies can get around it, for example, by declaring bankruptcy, but better than nothing)

I'm not a lawyer in this is not legal advice, just a prompt for your research. For any new job or change in employment terms — especially if remote work is involved — I encourage everyone to check with an attorney. Local bar associations usually have a referral service, with a low, fixed price for an initial consultation with an attorney.