Does PREP protect against AIDS?

LurkingBottom

47 minutes ago, LurkingBottom said:

Recently I ended up bottoming for an AIDS top but I had only stopped using PREP maybe two days before? 

I know it can take about a week before PREP loses its effectiveness but I was wondering if it even protects against AIDS or just HIV? Just curious.

Thanks for your help!

I’m only disappointed because it’s 2022, but here’s your answer:  HIV is the virus.  If you have contracted the virus, you’re HIV-positive, mostly referring to the antibodies in your system.  However, if you’re positive, there are other metrics that become important, like T-cell count and viral load.  When your T-cell count falls below 200, you get an AIDS diagnosis.  You’ll also receive an AIDS diagnosis if you get diagnosed with an opportunistic infection (meaning normally people don’t get the infection, but your immune system is compromised and the infecting agent takes advantage of the opportunity to invade).  

I should add this:

If you have an AIDS diagnosis and aren’t being treated, you’ll probably have a high viral load, and the viral load impacts transmissibility.  You probably also have 2 or 3 years left to live.

If you don’t want to contract HIV, take Prep.