8 minutes ago, fuckholedc said:

There have actually been 5 deaths attributed to the current monkeypox outbreak in the West (and 70, likely an undercount, in Africa): - well actually this report is saying that the five deaths *WERE IN FACT* in African countries.  Perhaps I have been misreading ....

[think before following links] [think before following links] [think before following links] https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-perspective/2022/07/who-14000-monkeypox-cases-worldwide-5-deaths#:~:text=A global outbreak of monkeypox,been reported in African nations. 

Looks like WHO and other reporting agencies are making a difference between monkeypox year to date and the specific current outbreak which started as a "separate" (distinguishable) health phenomenon circa May, 2022. 

[think before following links] https://www.who.int/emergencies/disease-outbreak-news/item/2022-DON392 

Additionally 10% of people who contract monkeypox have been admitted to the hospital for pain management (Sweden is reporting 15% for pain management).

[think before following links] https://zeenews.india.com/world/monkeypox-virus-outbreak-over-18000-cases-globally-most-in-europe-who-asks-at-risk-men-to-reduce-number-of-sexual-partners-2490287.html

Those 50 and over who got the smallpox vaccines (which stopped being a part of routine vaccinations in the United States.) will have some protection , about 85% from getting MP according to the CDC.

That was the vaccine that left behind a distinctive mark or scar.

A doctor in Nigeria tried to warn the world that monkeypox had become a global threat

The story actually starts five years ago with a doctor named Dimie Ogoina. Back in 2017, he saw what's perhaps the most important patient of his career.

DIMIE OGOINA: They brought my attention to a young boy.

DOUCLEFF: An 11-year-old boy with a very strange rash that looked like blisters.

So Ogoina tested the boy, and he was right - monkeypox. At the time, Ogoina thought that this monkeypox outbreak would act the way it always had, the way it had been described in textbooks and scientific papers since the 1970s. That is, the virus came from an animal, like a rodent or a monkey.

OUCLEFF: And that the virus doesn't spread very easily between people because it's not very contagious, especially between healthy adults.

OGOINA: It affects mainly children.

DOUCLEFF: Because when they're playing outside, they often come into contact with animals. So previous outbreaks were small, only a few dozen cases in rural areas. And Ogoina and other doctors thought that this outbreak back in 2017 would be the same.

OGOINA: So we felt, OK, could be the regular monkeypox that we know has been described in the center Africa.

DOUCLEFF: But a few weeks later, Ogoina started to become concerned. The outbreak began to grow very rapidly. Cases popped up not just near this boy but all over.

OGOINA: We are seeing cases just suddenly appearing across the country.

DOUCLEFF: The virus seemed to be spreading further and faster than expected. And it wasn't kids getting infected but rather men in their 20s and 30s.

DOUCLEFF: Ogoina started to investigate these patients more and found that many of them had high-risk sexual behaviors - multiple partners, sex with prostitutes. Ogoina started to realize something huge - that the virus had changed, and for the first time, it was starting to spread through sexual contact.

DOUCLEFF: Ogoina knew these findings had massive implications. It meant the virus no longer needed to jump from an animal. Instead, it could now easily jump from human to human, and that meant the current outbreak in Nigeria would be extremely difficult to stop. It meant monkeypox was no longer just a threat to communities in West Africa but a threat to the world. So Ogoina tried to warn Nigerian health officials years ago. They wouldn't listen. At an international meeting, he tried to bring up the possibility of sexual transmission. Somebody told him to be quiet.

DOUCLEFF: For the first time in history, monkeypox is spreading across the world - and just as Ogoina predicted, through sexual contact.

KHALID: All right. Michaeleen, I mean, that, to me, is a wild backstory - this scientist who had all this important information, but he could not get anyone to pay attention to it. I mean, it's really mind-boggling.

DOUCLEFF: Yeah. You know, in fact, Ogoina's insights and knowledge go even further. He says the outbreak in Nigeria back in 2017 never actually stopped. Health officials just stopped looking for cases and the outbreak went underground. And eventually, it actually turned into this huge international outbreak we're fighting right now.

KHALID: So you're saying that the outbreak today is, in fact, the very same one that was in Nigeria back in 2017? How do we know that?

DOUCLEFF: Yeah. You know, there's new genetic evidence that hasn't been published yet showing that this outbreak - this international outbreak we have - started in Nigeria way back even years before this little boy showed up in Ogoina's office. Michael Worobey is studying this question. He's an evolutionary biologist at the University of Arizona. He says the data are really indisputable.

[think before following links] https://www.npr.org/2022/07/28/1114183886/a-doctor-in-nigeria-tried-to-warn-the-world-that-monkeypox-had-become-a-global-t

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

San Francisco declares an emergency to help the city deal with monkeypox spread

The mayor of San Francisco [Mayor London Breed] announced a legal state of emergency Thursday over the growing number of monkeypox cases, allowing officials to mobilize personnel and resources and cut through red tape to get ahead of a public health crisis reminiscent of the AIDS epidemic that devastated the city.

The declaration, which takes effect Monday, was welcomed by gay advocates who have grown increasingly frustrated by what they called San Francisco's lackluster response to a virus that so far has affected primarily men who have sex with men, although anyone can get infected.

The city has 261 cases, out of about 800 in California and 4,600 nationwide, according to the San Francisco Department of Public Health. A national shortage of vaccine has resulted in people waiting in line for hours for scarce doses, often to be turned away when the shots run out.

San Francisco shut down its primary monkeypox vaccination clinic earlier this week after it ran out of doses, saying it had only received 7,800 doses of a requested 35,000.

"San Francisco was at the forefront of the public health responses to HIV and COVID-19, and we will be at the forefront when it comes to monkeypox," said state Sen. Scott Wiener, a Democrat who represents San Francisco. "We can't and won't leave the LGTBQ community out to dry."

[think before following links] https://www.npr.org/2022/07/28/1114381260/san-francisco-monkeypox-emergency

• Upvote 1

Pretty much proves my usual statement that the USA is a complete fuck-up country (which doctors are increasingly saying themselves wrt deficits in the organization of public health)

Monkeypox outbreak in U.S. is bigger than the CDC reports. Testing is 'abysmal'

June 25, 2022

[think before following links] https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2022/06/25/1107416457/monkeypox-outbreak-in-us

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Administrators
12 hours ago, Muscledadbod said:

Those 50 and over who got the smallpox vaccines (which stopped being a part of routine vaccinations in the United States.) will have some protection , about 85% from getting MP according to the CDC.

That was the vaccine that left behind a distinctive mark or scar.

The smallpox vaccination was a series of 4 shots at 18 months, 5-6 years (just before school), 10 years and 15 years. The US stopped giving that vaccination in 1972. As a result you'd need to be over ~65 years old to have had all 4 shots, over ~60 to have had 3, over ~55 to have had two.

I wouldn't count on much of any protection unless you had 3-4 shots.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, fuckholedc said:

A guy I was with in Montreal mentioned that a week or two after his monkeypox inoculation, the inoculation site got hard and swelled up a bit and was a bit sore.  I'm one week in and haven't experienced anything (but usually don't have the reactions to inoculations that lots of people report).   

I had almost no reaction, and I am nearly 4 weeks out from mine. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, ErosWired said:

What is your information source for this?

If this is your source for saying 85% efficacy… That source does not say that a 50 year old, incomplete vaccination is 85% effective. In fact it's unclear what they're talking about. The way I read it they're talking about JYNNEOS and they acknowledge that it's based in part on animal studies, not studies in humans.

It's always better to err on the side of caution. Hence my comment that one shouldn't assume protection from 1 or 2 shots 50 years ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ErosWired said:

What is your information source for this?

I had one shot as a kid AND the current vaccine a few days before exposure to MPX and I still got it. Mind you I think the two vaccines helped - my case was mild. You could argue the new vaccine didn't have time to work, but the shot I got as a kid was not sufficient to protect me from getting it.

Edited by JakeTurner
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, rawTOP said:

If this is your source for saying 85% efficacy… That source does not say that a 50 year old, incomplete vaccination is 85% effective. In fact it's unclear what they're talking about. The way I read it they're talking about JYNNEOS and they acknowledge that it's based in part on animal studies, not studies in humans.

It's always better to err on the side of caution. Hence my comment that one shouldn't assume protection from 1 or 2 shots 50 years ago.

There seems to be mixed messages about this. When I went for my regular 6 month check up and bloods last week, I asked my consultant about monkeypox. She asked if I’d had the smallpox jab as a kid. I said I had and even showed her the scar. “Oh, you should be okay, then,” she said. “You should have some good immunity.” And that was it. Not terribly convincing if I’m honest. But I’m guessing that means over 50s (the vaccination programme in the UK ended in 1971) won’t be prioritised in any new vaccination programme for monkeypox.

Edited by RawPlug
Clarity

2 hours ago, rawTOP said:

The smallpox vaccination was a series of 4 shots at 18 months, 5-6 years (just before school), 10 years and 15 years. The US stopped giving that vaccination in 1972. As a result you'd need to be over ~65 years old to have had all 4 shots, over ~60 to have had 3, over ~55 to have had two.

I wouldn't count on much of any protection unless you had 3-4 shots.

Does it matter how many SP shots one had? Smallpox was still eradicated regardless.

The way it was explained to me when I got my MP vaccine yesterday, was that if I had the smallpox vaccine, then just one MP vaccine as a booster should be enough to ward off the virus. But I still have an appointment for the second, and I intend on getting it as it.

It’s funny how goal posts shift.  A few weeks ago, before the vaccine became available, most of us were only too happy to have a vaccine which wouldn’t prevent us catching the virus, but which would protect us from severe disease.

By all accounts, one shot of the current vaccine is enough to provide that level protection.  But now it seems like everyone is pursuing maximum protection from catching the disease at all.

I’ll take the risk of catching a mild version of it now that I’ve had that first shot.  My generation has lived so much of its life in fear of disease- first HIV, then COVID, now monkeypox- and time’s running out for some us.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 1