• Administrators
25 minutes ago, Muscledadbod said:

Does it matter how many SP shots one had? Smallpox was still eradicated regardless.

The way it was explained to me when I got my MP vaccine yesterday, was that if I had the smallpox vaccine, then just one MP vaccine as a booster should be enough to ward off the virus. But I still have an appointment for the second, and I intend on getting it as it.

Since Smallpox and MPX are both orthopoxviruses and the vaccines were/are actually general vaccines against orthopoxviruses - then yes, the current vaccine will act as a booster for any vaccines you got as a kid.

Smallpox was wiped out because there was enough herd immunity. But I'm not aware of any studies that say how much immunity a particular person has if they only got 1 or 2 shots 50 years ago. It's an unknown. And when a medical provider asks if you got "it" as a kid - that's the wrong way to put it when "it" wasn't a single thing - it was 4 shots - and it's wrong to assume 1 shot is as effective as 4 shots 50 years later.

The problem is lack of data. Smallpox isn't around anymore, and Monkeypox has only affected relatively small numbers of people in countries that the rest of the world doesn't pay attention to. If we had data we'd know what to do right now, but we don't have the data since no one studied it properly in Africa.

Which makes the point that it pays to deal with other people's problems. If the world had dealt with MPX when it was "just an African problem" then it wouldn't be a problem now. And if the world doesn't deal with it when it's "just a gay problem" then they'll have to deal with it when it gets into the general population (via school kids or prisons, or whatever)…

• Like 4
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

Someone I know has it in his Anus.  Says it's horrible, as nearly impossible to crap, and apparently affected his prostrate, and VERY painfull to pee.

Yes he can be a slut, but apparently got it from a small group of people he knew who had no symptoms.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, rawTOP said:

Smallpox was wiped out because there was enough herd immunity

And also because there are no animal reservoirs for smallpox, which meant there was no place for the virus to retreat to once it could not spread from person to person. This is not the case with MPX. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RawPlug said:

There seems to be mixed messages about this. When I went for my regular 6 month check up and bloods last week, I asked my consultant about monkeypox. She asked if I’d had the smallpox jab as a kid. I said I had and even showed her the scar. “Oh, you should be okay, then,” she said. “You should have some good immunity.” And that was it. Not terribly convincing if I’m honest. But I’m guessing that means over 50s (the vaccination programme in the UK ended in 1971) won’t be prioritised in any new vaccination programme for monkeypox.

Indeed, it seems variable. My friend had smallpox vaccine in the 1960's rang our local clinic for a checkup appointment this week and asked if he needed the shot. They asked him about his habits and he mentioned saunas, darkrooms and cruising... that seemed to fit the criteria and they booked him in for the jab on Monday. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rawTOP said:

The way I read it they're talking about JYNNEOS and they acknowledge that it's based in part on animal studies, not studies in humans.

This is true. No one knows how effective is Jynneos in real life. All the vaccine studies are animal studies and the 85% efficacy is "estimated" from analysis of their lab results. It would have been impractical to do real world studies for such a rare pathogen. 

I guess we are about to find out if it works or not. 

5 hours ago, JakeTurner said:

I had one shot as a kid AND the current vaccine a few days before exposure to MPX and I still got it. Mind you I think the two vaccines helped - my case was mild. You could argue the new vaccine didn't have time to work, but the shot I got as a kid was not sufficient to protect me from getting it.

I am glad that your case was mild and that you are feeling better

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AirmaxAndy said:

Indeed, it seems variable. My friend had smallpox vaccine in the 1960's rang our local clinic for a checkup appointment this week and asked if he needed the shot. They asked him about his habits and he mentioned saunas, darkrooms and cruising... that seemed to fit the criteria and they booked him in for the jab on Monday. 

That’s very interesting, To be honest, I was surprised how laid back my consultant was about it all. 

• Administrators

There are now two deaths related to MPX outside of Africa - one reported Friday in Brazil and one reported today in Spain…

https://apple.news/ADR32bQIwRVuQ-VLGp8h5Fg

Another interesting detail in that story - in Spain 3.2% of the known cases require hospitalization.

• Like 2

I induced a basic exponential function for monkeypox data from Germany (I cannot find historical data for Berlin itself) without the wild assumptions I had made prior to my trip to Montreal.  Currently most of the monkeypox cases are occurring in Berlin but this will change if the outbreak isn't contained so currently this function is basically a Berlin function.

The function is not bad and may indicate that inoculations and other measures are in fact having an effect.  The question will be is that is sufficient.

So the function is y = 0.5381741*x^2.000014 where x is days since May 19, 2022 (May 19 is day 1).

This indicates that in two weeks cumulative monkeypox cases will be 3798 which would be an additional 1258.  These new cases are currently locked in because the incubation period is approx. 2 weeks.  The current doubling period is approx. 27 days and appears to be getting longer.  If this holds up *AND* if the doubling period continues to lengthen then the outbreak will be corralled in Germany.  

• Upvote 3

• Administrators

Good news, kinda… The rate of increase for MPX cases in NYC is going down. Last week it averaged a 6.6% increase each day. The week before it was 9.4%.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2