An interesting if lengthy feature in The Guardian by Steven W Thrasher, professor at Northwestern University.

‘Is sex worth the risk?’ Monkeypox just the latest virus to threaten gay intimacy

Decades after the Aids pandemic began, game-changing drugs restored some peace of mind. Now monkeypox puts that progress at risk

[think before following links] https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/aug/02/monkeypox-gay-lgbt-sex-intimacy

2 hours ago, myDNA4u said:

Considering that this is like the smallpox vaccine I got as a child which was an absolute requirement to attend school (and there was no exemption for any reason including religion), I would not be concerned in the least. It was also required for anyone returning from overseas at the time. We have all let the anti-vaxers scare us into worrying about extremely rare and non- fatal reactions to vaccines. 

Same here, old enough to have received it as a child and have both the scar and vaccination record to prove it.

3 hours ago, bbm4matl said:

I asked my primary care physician about this.  He said the smallpox vaccine has risks he considered significant, potentially life threatening if you’re unlucky. 

I haven't asked yet. The big problem is neither of the current vaccines have been widely tested in humans.

If I had a good understanding of what the potential risks are, I might make the choice to take it and let them study it. I will be stunned if 6 months from now we aren't talking about deaths and lingering problems from monkeypox. If they don't even test the ACAM2000 vaccine, we won't know which risk is higher.

@Euromusk76's post on the previous page regarding the issues involved with the older ACAM2000 vaccine is worth a close read.

Pediatric nurses used to be trained specifically in administering this vaccine, because essentially every US child was getting it. But that was 50 years ago. The youngest nurses practicing then are near or over 70, and there aren't even enough people experienced in the technique to teach the army of others that would be needed if this vaccine were to be used.

Which does, of course, call into question why we're hanging onto it, or why we're not continuing to train at least some fraction of our health care providers how to safely administer this vaccine. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ellentonboy said:

God, I hope we can vote him out of office this fall.

There are several things we can do:  fan the flames of the women's rights debacle, attend demonstrations that are large enough to get local tv coverage, get everyone you know to register and vote, etc.  Charlie's no panacea, but hells bells if he's not way better than DeathSantis, and his hatemongering crowd.  

"ALL politics is local"     

• Like 1

Got the Monkey 🐒 Pox vaccine (JYNNEOS) this morning from my health care provider: Stanford (University) Health Care at their Emeryville/Berkeley clinic - drive through. No pain, didn't feel a thing...no after effect. Asking the Gay Gods to help  my gay brothers get the vaccine!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, bluedragon said:

In London, the vaccine is currently only being offered to known exposures and to people with symptoms.

Surely people with symptoms should be isolating? Do you mean they're being given the jab when being checked/diagnosed?

Edited by VersGuyAnon
I wanted to add an extra question

6 hours ago, bluedragon said:

In London, the vaccine is currently only being offered to known exposures and to people with symptoms.

Hi @bluedragon, unless things have changed dramatically in the last couple of days, the vaccine programme is currently being rolled out to a much broader range of guys in London. STI clinics are proactively contacting clients they think are at high risk as well as making appointments available to those that request them, mass vaccination events are being arranged at weekends, and even sex club promoters and venues are getting involved. For example, if you go to the Vault, you can pick up a ‘voucher’ that entitles you to a walk-in vaccination at a clinic just around the corner.

Most of the guys I play with regularly have now had the vaccine or at least have an appointment to get it. Anyone who’s a regular player in London should have access to the vaccine right now: it might involve standing in a queue for a few hours or taking a day off work, but in my book, that’s worth it.

Outside London, I understand things are a lot more patchy.

Edited by Spunkinmyarse
  • Upvote 2

13 hours ago, Spunkinmyarse said:

Hi @bluedragon, unless things have changed dramatically in the last couple of days, the vaccine programme is currently being rolled out to a much broader range of guys in London.

This was what I was told having called 111 to try and arrange a vaccination for myself (and previously the London monkeypox advice line). STI clinics' websites currently state that they aren't offering phone appointments for vaccines: because I'm not a permanent resident in London I'm not on anyone's books at the minute.
I didn't know about the voucher available at the Vault though, that's useful information. I'm going to try and get into one of the walk-in clinics tomorrow.

In fairness the doctor who called me back from 111 did say that the situation was changing day by day due to huge demand and limited supply of vaccines. He wasn't able to offer me an appointment though even though I explained I had recently had sex with multiple partners in a sex club.

13 hours ago, VersGuyAnon said:

Surely people with symptoms should be isolating? Do you mean they're being given the jab when being checked/diagnosed?

Some of the symptoms of monkeypox are quite common to a range of illnesses. I don't know exactly but this was part of the checklist of questions I went through with the doctor I spoke to (see above post)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluedragon said:

STI clinics' websites currently state that they aren't offering phone appointments for vaccines: because I'm not a permanent resident in London I'm not on anyone's books at the minute.

Yes, I do think it’s much harder if you’re not already registered with one of the London STI clinics.

Good luck tomorrow- I hope you’re able to get somewhere with this.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, hntnhole said:

There are several things we can do:  fan the flames of the women's rights debacle, attend demonstrations that are large enough to get local tv coverage, get everyone you know to register and vote, etc.  Charlie's no panacea, but hells bells if he's not way better than DeathSantis, and his hatemongering crowd.  

"ALL politics is local"     

Yes, I already voted for Charlie.  I don't know one gay friend, even straight friends, that are voting for DeSatan.  Any opportunity I have to promote the defeat of DeSatan I use it.   His opinion on abortion alone has been enough to get former Republican friends to re-think their vote.