3 hours ago, viking8x6 said:

OK, I went back to the CDC site and looked some more. It appears that what the news agencies picked up was a telebriefing on Monday 23 May. The CDC site has a recording of it, but it's 53 minutes long and I'm not up for that today. They claim that a transcript will be posted, but it has not been as of now (afternoon EDT Wed 25 May).

[think before following links] [think before following links] https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2022/a0523-monkeypox.html

From Kaiser Health: [think before following links] https://khn.org/morning-breakout/monkeypox-spreading-mostly-through-sex-who/

"The CDC issued an update that alerted gay and bisexual men that monkeypox is primarily spreading through sex."

But a direct link to a CDC document is not in the article.

• Thanks 1

"Monkeypox outbreaks tied to sex at 2 raves in Europe"  But the article does not list the events and the events are also not named in the linked European CDC pages/documents.  They are just mentioned as two raves in Spain and Belgium.

[think before following links] https://www.livescience.com/monkeypox-spread-through-sex

On 5/24/2022 at 2:31 PM, lukeboybare said:

Living in Europe here and that information is incorrect

Some people went to African states and returned with the virus .... Europeans went and got it not the other way around

Monkey pox has been around for a while also 

its nothing t be that concerned about anyway its rarely fatal and generally clears up after 4 weeks 

Good to know, summer weather is here again, and heading out to my favorite venue........nude beaches ⛱️

I saw someone earlier in this thread mentioned the Montreal CumUnion party last week at G.I. Joe. There’s since been a televised segment and online article that implies a connection between that event and the ongoing monkeypox outbreak, and frankly I found the content and overall frame really disappointing. 

[think before following links] [think before following links] https://globalnews.ca/news/8873527/canada-monkeypox-origin-montreal-sauna/

Last night I angrily tweeted out a brief critique that seems to have resonated with a lot of people, and has led to a good exchange with one of the reporters involved. The main points I’ve raised with her so far include:

-bathhouse customers and workers were already aware of the monkeypox risk before any cases were confirmed in Canada, we’ve been proactively informing ourselves and each other and drawing on the expertise of community health orgs to assist with that; describing bathhouses as sites of risk without also highlighting how they’re sites of education and harm reduction is irresponsible

-even if some cases are epidemiological linked to this one bathhouse, in major cities most men who have sex with each other are part of sexual networks that include bathhouse patrons; pointing the finger at one club instead of raising everyone’s awareness of symptoms, treatment, how to share useful info with partners etc, is counterproductive 

-sensationalizing cumunion as a “sex party” makes this reporting seem really clueless, like what the fuck do you expect happens in bathhouses every day. there’s nothing connecting this specific event with the outbreak, and it’s disappointing to see a party that explicitly welcomes poz guys get portrayed in national media as a disease vector first and foremost. 

-asking about “enhanced measures” seems off-base, as a bathhouse worker myself I know we put a lot of effort into keeping these spaces safe and sanitary and most of the additional stuff we should do (and are doing!) re: monkeypox is in the domain of education and connecting customers with resources

We’re having ongoing conversations that the reporter says will inform their future coverage (here’s hoping!!) and I’d love to hear if anyone here has further suggestions on what kinds of stories could help our communities be better equipped to weather these monkeypox outbreaks without feeding into shame and stigma.

Edited by myxoflagellant

• 2 weeks later...

I caught it in Berlin. It presented itself like either chlamydia or syphilis but came out negative on all tests. I got a cyst right outside my hole which was painful and puss filled. The person I got it from ended up getting a cyst on his cock which looked like either herpes or syphilis but was of course monkeypox. One of his lymph nodes ended up swelling to the size of a lemon and his cock swelled up to about 3 times its normal size. No one was able to figure out what was wrong until the pimples started showing. 

This article pointed the me to the right direction.  [think before following links] https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2022/06/03/1102945017/monkeypox-can-look-different-than-what-doctors-thought-heres-what-theyre-learnin?t=1654970702656

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I just arrived back within another EU country & was watching the local news last night that the monkey pox is starting to gain more traction & even though they do not expect an epidemic like covid-19 / corona they are worried as this past week the numbers have jumped to a high level, i also heard the incubation of this virus varies between 10-12 days so you could have it & be totally unaware & infect others & instead of saying it's only gay men they are waking up that also a lot of bi men have this. i find it so hypocrite that when a new sex virus appears that the gays always without doubt get blamed first ( sad ) but so true. All we can do is be a little cautious i won't stop having sex because of it but just be more careful if that is even possible. The information was given by a notable virologist who covered the story during the covid-19 / corona epidemic so was a reliable source & not a hack looking for sensation which is often the case.

Edited by manhole4use
auto correct & adding text

• 2 weeks later...

Abstinence or death?

It's not just monkeypox. Typhoid is now antibiotic resistant and COVID-19 subvariants are gaining resistance to vaccine/antibody. Meningococcal diseases are on the rise in gay communities. All of that was in the news this morning.

On 6/11/2022 at 2:07 PM, Terfer said:

I was surprised to find out that monkeypox is presenting in a way different than classical cases.  The lesions look quite different.

As it turns out there have been numerous medical papers on monkeypox outbreaks in the West since at least 2006.

Here is a recent case reported in the New England Journal of Medicine - a Gay man presents with monkeypox following sex in "southeastern Canada".  If you have not seen medical pictures with lesions then this link might be unsettling:  [think before following links] https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMcpc2201244

The case study is very instructive.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, fuckholedc said:

I was surprised to find out that monkeypox is presenting in a way different than classical cases.  The lesions look quite different.

As it turns out there have been numerous medical papers on monkeypox outbreaks in the West since at least 2006.

Here is a recent case reported in the New England Journal of Medicine - a Gay man presents with monkeypox following sex in "southeastern Canada".  If you have not seen medical pictures with lesions then this link might be unsettling:  [think before following links] [think before following links] https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMcpc2201244

So one way this is instructive is the revelation that there are two major different kinds (clades) of monkeypox.  The one in this case study is the West African one which has a  mortality rate < 3% (and is mostly children and immune compromised individuals [which may or may not mean older people]):

There are two distinct clades of monkeypox virus. The Congo Basin clade (which is endemic in Central Africa) is associated with case fatality rates of up to 11%, and human-to-human transmission is well documented.6 The West African clade is associated with less severe disease (case fatality rates of <3%),7 and in the past, limited human-to-human transmission has been reported.8 Recent outbreaks of the West African clade in Nigeria suggest that transmission between close contacts may be more common than initially reported.9 Death is most likely to occur in children10 and immunocompromised patients7; the pooled case fatality rate is lower for the West African clade (3.6%) than for the Congo Basin clade (10.6%).10

On 5/20/2022 at 10:52 AM, SFSloppyAznBottom said:

Thank @viking8x6 for the CDC link. 

The wider question  is that for many chasers or bareback lovers here, if a disease affect their look more than temporarily, what would they react ? Wasn’t trying to create panic , and definitely not pointing fingers.  

We all like to be cumdumps but having scars all over one’s body would be counterproductive to that. Most men do care about look.  

Sad that I get a downvote for asking an innocent question while blatant racism like leather69 is completely fine. Lol

I think the post and question you wrote was completely within the bounds of curiosity and education. Nothing wrong at all what you posted. UNTIL you just called leather69’s post “racist” I mean wow what a big word and over used word to throw at him. Kinda silly. The R word gets thrown around nonstop by a certain number in the population as a mode of attack when they disagree with someone’s opinion. Just because someone stated something u seen to disagree with doesn’t make them racist. U should think of dialing down the use of a pretty strong accusation against someone just because u disagree with them. Life would probably look nicer and happier to you on a day to day basis.

2 hours ago, fuckholedc said:

Here is a recent case reported in the New England Journal of Medicine - a Gay man presents with monkeypox following sex in "southeastern Canada".  If you have not seen medical pictures with lesions then this link might be unsettling:  [think before following links] [think before following links] https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMcpc2201244

This webpage from Ontario is pretty comprehensive and includes photo examples of lesions connected with the current outbreaks, it’s a great resource:

[think before following links] https://gmsh.ca/monkeypox/

On 6/24/2022 at 2:23 PM, Hairypiglet said:

Abstinence or death?

This is the recurring motif of a gay life. I have lived life in the shadow of infectious STIs. I came to terms with the prospect of HIV many years ago.  I made a choice to live and fuck without fear of infection. Yes, I will acquire infections; maybe they will be the end of me, or my body will end up scarred… or possibly ill die from an asteroid on my way home from work.

HIV has claimed many lives before me and I respect it’s impact; however, I credit my view on HIV for effectively mentally navigating through COVID. And I’ll do it again for pox and whatever else life throws at me. 

#YOLO I’m not going to spend mine abstaining from what makes me feel most alive. 

Edited by KylerIsTrash
  • Like 2

Here's a link to this article:

I Have Monkeypox — Here's What It's Like And What You Should Know

This is my experience, but it boils down to this: This shit sucks and you don’t want it.

by Matt Ford

[think before following links] [think before following links] https://www.buzzfeed.com/mattford/i-have-monkeypox-my-symptoms-so-far?ref=bftwbuzzfeed&utm_source=dynamic&utm_campaign=bftwbuzzfeed 

Edited by viking8x6
Clarifying that "I" is the author, not the BZ poster of the article
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2