I saw a tweet saying that New York state health officials say that there have been monkeypox cases in people born before 1972, people who had been vaccinated against smallpox (routine smallpox vaccination ended in the US in 1972).   Currently there are 11 cases in NY, 10 in NYC.

Another tweet said that there is some limited data published by the CDC showing ages of monkeypox patients ranging up to 76 - the median age is apparently in the mid-30s).  Basically if a person was born in 1969 or before, they were given the smallpox vaccine without question.  Some people born between 1970 and 1972, but before the abandonment of universal smallpox inoculation, did not get the vaccination.

UK Based here... went for a check-up at my local clinic this week (first in three years so should be interesting results) and asked about Smallpox vaccine. Initially they said that they were making a list of guys and putting it in risk/priority order, but as I was about to leave they said that their delivery of vaccine had arrived and they'd be happy to give me a dose, but it was still frozen - so they made an appointment for Friday (yesterday) to give it. 

They key thing was mentioning 'saunas' and 'parties in Berlin, similar to Darklands'. That seemed to get me the #2 slot in their list. I am only wondering who was #1 and what they said!

They explained the vaccine they are giving is a much more modern vaccine than that given in the 60's and 70's and it doesn't leave a scar - the older vaccine left a 5p coin sized scar apparently. They did warn there may be some reaction around the injection site. They were also quite careful to talk through any possible allergies. They said egg is used in the production process. The info also said that 'flu like symptoms' are possible in the days or so afterwards. The shot was given in the flesh and was like the B12 shots I have each quarter, and no weird aches afterwards like you get with the covid shots. They wanted me to hang around for 20 minutes 'just in case there is a reaction' but I needed to get to the gym for a PT session, so I left early.  

They reckon it takes "a week or two" to build immunity after having the shot. So far no, symptoms at all except wanting to get out there again!

A buddy of mine I go out cruising with is older and has had the smallpox vaccine in the 70's. I asked if he would need a booster, and they said that if he fits the risk profile, he'd get a shot whether or not he'd had the smallpox vaccine years ago, so don't discount the idea if you had a shot in the 60s/70s.

This was my experience at a smallish provincial clinic in the UK - your experience may vary depending on your local NHS Trust's policies etc. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

On 6/30/2022 at 2:45 PM, Hornyone said:

I just got vaccinated. There are 270 cases in Canada and 200 of them are in Quebec, all gay men. I did it for peace of mind and it was free and very easy.

What makes Monkeypox different from an STI, is that if a guy gets infected in a darkroom at a sauna, he can infect others without having sex.

5 hours ago, AirmaxAndy said:

UK Based here... went for a check-up at my local clinic this week (first in three years so should be interesting results) and asked about Smallpox vaccine. Initially they said that they were making a list of guys and putting it in risk/priority order, but as I was about to leave they said that their delivery of vaccine had arrived and they'd be happy to give me a dose, but it was still frozen - so they made an appointment for Friday (yesterday) to give it. 

They key thing was mentioning 'saunas' and 'parties in Berlin, similar to Darklands'. That seemed to get me the #2 slot in their list. I am only wondering who was #1 and what they said!

They explained the vaccine they are giving is a much more modern vaccine than that given in the 60's and 70's and it doesn't leave a scar - the older vaccine left a 5p coin sized scar apparently. They did warn there may be some reaction around the injection site. They were also quite careful to talk through any possible allergies. They said egg is used in the production process. The info also said that 'flu like symptoms' are possible in the days or so afterwards. The shot was given in the flesh and was like the B12 shots I have each quarter, and no weird aches afterwards like you get with the covid shots. They wanted me to hang around for 20 minutes 'just in case there is a reaction' but I needed to get to the gym for a PT session, so I left early.  

They reckon it takes "a week or two" to build immunity after having the shot. So far no, symptoms at all except wanting to get out there again!

A buddy of mine I go out cruising with is older and has had the smallpox vaccine in the 70's. I asked if he would need a booster, and they said that if he fits the risk profile, he'd get a shot whether or not he'd had the smallpox vaccine years ago, so don't discount the idea if you had a shot in the 60s/70s.

This was my experience at a smallish provincial clinic in the UK - your experience may vary depending on your local NHS Trust's policies etc. 

I know we’ve chatted about this between ourselves but I’d just add that a mate of mine currently has it. He’s been told to isolate for two weeks, which he finds absurd given the way it is spread (“I’m hardly likely to pass it on buying milk in Sainsbury’s, am I?” were his words) but he’s doing everything he’s been told - which is a first! The doctors aren’t treating him and just told him to let it run its course. He says he’s finding the spots annoying but nothing more than that.
When I asked my GP, she suggested the smallpox shot I had as a kid (yes, I still bear the scar) probably does offer some protection and cited as evidence that there have been very few MP cases in the over 50s - at least in the UK. I’m not 100% reassured by that, but I’m going to keep monitoring it.

1 hour ago, RawPlug said:

When I asked my GP, she suggested the smallpox shot I had as a kid (yes, I still bear the scar) probably does offer some protection and cited as evidence that there have been very few MP cases in the over 50s - at least in the UK. I’m not 100% reassured by that, but I’m going to keep monitoring it.

The figure that it saw reported was about 70% effectiveness. 

4 hours ago, RawPlug said:

I know we’ve chatted about this between ourselves but I’d just add that a mate of mine currently has it. He’s been told to isolate for two weeks, which he finds absurd given the way it is spread (“I’m hardly likely to pass it on buying milk in Sainsbury’s, am I?” were his words) but he’s doing everything he’s been told - which is a first! The doctors aren’t treating him and just told him to let it run its course. He says he’s finding the spots annoying but nothing more than that.

As someone old enough to have been vaccinated as a child, I've also been trying to get stats on how many older men have been infected. I just had 5 days of complete debauchery in an area that has seen a low number of cases. I have a doctor's appointment in a couple of weeks and will definitely ask if I should be trying to get a booster shot.

31 minutes ago, NWUSHorny said:

As someone old enough to have been vaccinated as a child, I've also been trying to get stats on how many older men have been infected. I just had 5 days of complete debauchery in an area that has seen a low number of cases. I have a doctor's appointment in a couple of weeks and will definitely ask if I should be trying to get a booster shot.

My GP was very laid back about it all, to be honest. So I’m not sure I have the utmost confidence in what she said.

I've been officially diagnosed with monkeypox now.

I was in one of my whore trips around UK and Spain, and probably messed around with about 50+ guys?  In saunas and cruise clubs.  So not too surprised this happened. 

I started noticing white 'pimples' around my butt cheeks that progressed into bigger blisters. White at the beginning, they develop a dark inner part, get darker and eventually burst. They are itchy.  I've got them in the butt cheeks, dick, legs, back and the worst place, the soles of my feet; it's making it super painful to walk on them.  I've also been having problem shitting, was difficult at the beginning, sensation of wanting to go to n2 but nothing would come out. Eventually it'd happen and I've been seeing some blood in the stool. 

I did test negative for other STDs (incredibly) but I did test pos for covid again, had it originally in 2020. So I'm dealing with monkeypox + covid infection. Surprisingly I'm feeling quite well, no fevers or pains. Just the logistics of dealing with the blisters, a bit of blood when shitting. I got tons of swabs done by the SF department of health and they are sending them to the CDC so they can track things better. Testing for this is a pain, literally, they have to crush the swab against the blister to try to get as good as a sample as possible for PCR to pick it up. 

All this may sound horrible, but seems all these blisters will clear in 2-4 weeks and I'll be like new. I'm feeling just fine, even with covid, so just taking it easy and isolating a bunch until this resolves. 

The worst part has been without a doubt the response from some of the people I've talked with. Some have instantly called me 'whore' and 'reckless'. I'm open about the sex I have, which involves many guys in a single night, but I never expected this much judgment from people with a feeling of 'you are getting what you deserve' and 'you are toxic, get away' kind of talk....

Edited by rawfuckr
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Went to the NYC vaccination clinic today in Harlem.  Line up around the corner of gay men with appointments for first of 2 course vaccination with Jynneos.  Someone asked me to describe the crowd... I'd say the common thread of the guys in line is that they all looked DTF!   Early 20s to late 40s. The clinic was well organized but a bit slow.  Took me an hour to go through the line, check-in, consent, vaccination, and 15-minute adverse reaction waiting period.

I understand that the U.S. has very limited quantities of Jynneos, but they've ordered more. 

I tried to get it at Dean St in Soho on Friday and was told no. She didn't even ask about how much sex I'm having. Just said the NHS are releasing almost no vaccines. This means that my trip to Amsterdam next week is going to be a waste of time. I would be tempted to risk it except that i am going on afterwards to visit a Top in Germany for 3 days of 1-2-1 BDSM and he wont be happy if i turn up covered in blisters.