Breaking News: Doxycycline After Sex Reduces STIs (DoxyPEP)

This is interesting and hopeful stuff: 

An international group of researchers met in Seattle in March to review the evidence before conducting the literature review, the authors said. They started with the small existing trials for doxycycline as PrEP or post-exposure prophylaxis. A small open-label study of MSM with HIV and prior syphilis infection randomized to doxycycline found a reduction in Chlamydia trachomatis, Neisseria gonorrhoeae, and syphilis versus a control group.

Here's the whole article: https://www.medpagetoday.com/infectiousdisease/stds/81958

Edited by drscorpio
Removed formatting to make more visible
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

It will be interesting to see what the recommendations are. I am surprised gonorrhea was reduced by doxycycline as the strains that are circulating often have high resistance to doxy. There are concerns that it could also continue to drive antimicrobial resistance. 

"Doxycycline prophylaxis for bacterial STIs shows promise. Better and more robust data are needed on efficacy; target population; community acceptability; behavioral risk compensation; doxycycline dose, regimen, and formulation; long-term safety; antimicrobial resistance; cost-effectiveness and risk-benefit."

Edited by srider
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, srider said:

It will be interesting to see what the recommendations are. I am surprised gonorrhea was reduced by doxycycline as the strains that are circulating often have high resistance to doxy. There are concerns that it could also continue to drive antimicrobial resistance. 

"Doxycycline prophylaxis for bacterial STIs shows promise. Better and more robust data are needed on efficacy; target population; community acceptability; behavioral risk compensation; doxycycline dose, regimen, and formulation; long-term safety; antimicrobial resistance; cost-effectiveness and risk-benefit."

If u read the actual paper and a few publications in previous years, the use doxycycline as Prep and Pep of Gonorrhea has very high failure. It is only promising for syphilis and chlamydia. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Gonorrhea has also evolved over the years and there are versions that the basic versions of penicilan don't work.. testing to find out exactly what U have is now necessary .If u are relying on dosing in hope then there is a good chance that u are wasting your time and money.

I have a very sexually active buddy who is on Doxy daily for a dermatology issue... he says he has not had an STD in almost a decade of using it! After hearing this, I got a script from my doc and used it during a slut weekend when I took a dozen loads from strangers in Ft Lauderdale -- the verdict: ALL CLEAR! So, I will try this again in the future. I think the caution would be constant use isn't good for the liver, kidneys and of course could cause resistance. Hope the research continues!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

I spoke about antibiotics as pre exposure prophylaxis for STIs to my infectious disease doctor. He is the guy who wrote the STI/HIV guidelines for Canada. He is aware of the fact that research has been done in this area. However the main concern is that body gets resistant to antibiotics and then they wouldn't work in an intended way. Also there is no research for new antibiotics and doctors have to deal with what is available. Again antibiotics will kill the bacterial linings in digestive system. There are numerous reasons why this process may be difficult in near future. It's better for the humanity to deal with STIs as and when they occur rather.

Guest Gloryholee

Quite possibly. I spent a long time in Asia and Latin America and have been fucked bareback by countless Ladyboys and Travesti/Shemales.  Some everyday people. But a lot of them, street whores. Never caught an STD. And i was taking doxycycline as an anti-malarial (as opposed to the much more expensive Malarone).

• 3 months later...

Has anyone come across the use of doxycycline as a prophylaxis to help reduce the becoming infected with some sti's. Read an article about it being trialled with PreP and taking 2 x100mg within 72hrs post intercource. I assume you take the 2 pills 12hrs apart and soon the better really. Best within 24hrs. In the article it did state that you shouldn't take more than 6 pills a week to prevent antibiotics resistant. 

The article said that there was an decrease in incerdences or chlamydia and syphilis but not much of a decrease in gonorrhea. However it was quite a small sample. 

I was thing of try it my self and if it would reduce the amount of times I get chlamydia. May not help gonorrhea. Depends on whether the gonorrhea is resistant to doxycycline. From my understanding some strains are and some are not. 

Any more light on this would be interesting to hear. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is not good idea

Taking antibiotics when you do not need them is not good for your health also will increase the risk of resistance.

Some of these studies are poorly controlled also at times are money driven looking for ways to give us more pills we do not need (statins is prime example but im not going to get into that)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I have two buddies that take Doxy regularly for dermatology reasons -- they have not had an STD in 4 and 6 years respectively --since they have been on the regular dosage. I have started taking it when I have a sauna night or big group and likewise have turned up negative ever since. I'd check with your MD -- my use is not often, but as with all meds there are sure to be some downsides. Of course it does't protect against HEP-C or herpes regardless.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, atlfukbud said:

I have two buddies that take Doxy regularly for dermatology reasons -- they have not had an STD in 4 and 6 years respectively --since they have been on the regular dosage. I have started taking it when I have a sauna night or big group and likewise have turned up negative ever since. I'd check with your MD -- my use is not often, but as with all meds there are sure to be some downsides. Of course it does't protect against HEP-C or herpes regardless.

This is common for these type of doctors/nurses to prescribe them it's very poor that they do so rather then try alternatives I found myself taking a look at some ones lifestyle tends to find the cause for a lot of these issues but most modern medicine has no interest in this just wants to push more drugs US is highly known for this.

Their is no evidence to back up the lack of STD to tie in with taking the antibiotic if anything long term this is not a great outcome keep taking these pills.

This is why we have the likes of gonorrhea that can not be treated with this anymore.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mort said:

This is common for these type of doctors/nurses to prescribe them it's very poor that they do so rather then try alternatives I found myself taking a look at some ones lifestyle tends to find the cause for a lot of these issues but most modern medicine has no interest in this just wants to push more drugs US is highly known for this.

Their is no evidence to back up the lack of STD to tie in with taking the antibiotic if anything long term this is not a great outcome keep taking these pills.

This is why we have the likes of gonorrhea that can not be treated with this anymore.

The people at Oxford seem to have plenty of evidence suggesting the lack of STIs could be due to the daily use of Doxy - [think before following links] https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/70/6/1247/5557867 

And what alternatives are you putting forward here?

We have antibiotic resistance due to people not taking the full regime of antibiotics, overuse of antibiotics in livestock and fish farming and the lack of new options being developed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4