AIDSMap.com Update on PrEP Failures

drscorpio

• Moderators

TL;DR - There are so far no more than 20 cases worldwide among the roughly 1,000,000 users. The biggest risk of a PrEP failure is not taking your meds regularly. After that is having sex with a toxic person who has a strain resistant to one or both of the drugs in PrEP. No cases of breakthrough in people taking Descovy. There are questions about the efficacy of the injectable version being tested. 
[think before following links] https://www.aidsmap.com/about-hiv/prep-failures-breakthrough-infections?fbclid=IwAR34iXs64QHQUWKsiXER8CFpaY9rqjax0_xYeOwhbT_EiEai0pSDqFLsaqM

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

• 3 months later...

Thanks to the help of the site Mistr for getting it all set and no cost out of pocket (for now) with my work's insurance, I just started it and got the Descovy version of it.  This was something that I was curious about for the longest time, and with me I felt that now was the time to just say "...fuck it..." and get set for PrEP.  Now when it's time for play, I just have to watch out for the other bugs that could be caught, but the main one of HIV is not as much of a concern.  

I'd assume the less case count for Descovy is due to the fact that is less prescribed regularly. I've been on Descovy for a bit and always wondering how effective really is. 

Also, the numbers for cabotegravir/apretude are not that great (compared to Truvada/Descovy). 7 cases when adherence is not an issue. I guess for those who can't do oral adherence much better than nothing.

Edited by rawfuckr