Justice Thomas makes it clear decisions support our rights are next

drscorpio

On 6/24/2022 at 3:06 PM, BlindRawFucker1 said:

It seems to me, that interracial marriage could also be at risk.

He believes that no one has the right to privacy in the bedroom, no matter who they are.

I guess politicians and religious leaders really need to worry about that.

Some interesting and scary times are ahead.

Interesting as he's in an interracial marriage!

1 hour ago, TotalTop said:

This is fear mongering, and nobody can actually accurately predict the future.

No, but Roe ending was pretty obvious once Ginsberg died.  Republicans keep talking about how much they hate gay marriage, and how much they resent losing sodomy laws.  When someone tells you their life goals, believe them.  I’m in a safe enough state, although we’re thinking of relocating to Washington State or Portland just to be a bit safer (and closer to Canada.)

I think the treatment that the log cabin morons got first at CPAC and then in Texas last weekend should make it clear that the party doesn’t think they belong, and probably don’t have any rights.  If I were in Texas I’d be deciding on whether you need an exit plan after November.  

Edited by NEDenver
Spell check fix
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, NEDenver said:

If I were in Texas I’d be deciding on whether you need an exit plan after November.  

Which is exactly what the red states want. They want to drive away anyone who is different from them, or doesn't agree with their ideals. They are actively trying to divide the US.

• Upvote 1

On 6/24/2022 at 3:13 PM, viking8x6 said:

Gee, do you think he'll recuse himself if they take up a reversal of Loving vs Virginia? 🤨

thomas.jpg.a8f9f406d148fb5736114b9305287b02.jpg

5 hours ago, hntnhole said:

I had no idea you actually are blind ... sorry to know that, bud.  I assumed it was a cultural statement.  My apologies.

Yes, "Ginny" (as in drunk) Thomas is Caucasian, and under investigation herself for meddling in the electoral process.  It's hardly likely that Mr.* Thomas will recuse himself either, if the issue comes before the SCOTUS.

* I realize he holds a different title, but "Mr" is all I can manage in honoraria just now.

I wouldnt call him mr. Ill use a pretty nasty six letter word that ends in R. 

• Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, pervinmt said:

Which is exactly what the red states want. They want to drive away anyone who is different from them, or doesn't agree with their ideals. They are actively trying to divide the US.

No one in the gay community needs to sit around waiting for Texas to arrest them under their still sitting there sodomy laws so that Texas can run it back up to the SCOTUS.  Fuck whether they're "trying to divide us".  We're already divided into civilized states and Republican states.  The easiest ways to fight back are a couple hundred thousand people moving into ND, SD, ID, MT, and WY in the next 60 days, registering to vote and voting out Republicans in November--especially the senators.  But that's not going to happen, so you have to take care of yourself.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, drscorpio said:

Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, and Coney-Barrett who were all nominated by the last President were all asked under oath by the Senate their position on Roe v Wade. They all stated unequivocally that it was settled law and not up for reconsideration. There was nothing new in the case that was just decided that warranted overturning a 50-year-old precedent. They simply lied under oath, and are guilty of perjury. 

The only consequence by which a Supreme Court Justice may face removal for misdeeds is impeachment and trial by the Senate. Only one Justice has ever been impeached, in 1805, for allowing his political views to interfere with his decisions, and the Senate acquitted him (that has a familiar ring to it).

Out country is no longer going to be Red and Blue states - it’s going to be Taliban and Non-Taliban states, a patchwork of jurisdictions in which majorities trample the rights and freedoms of minorities because they now can. These five justices have just set Americans at each other’s throats in a way that causes the culture wars of the past to pale in comparison.

Some commentators have referred to this as the “victory of conservatism”. It is nothing of the kind - it is simply a formal declaration of war, and Clarence Thomas has laid naked his ambition as a war-monger. The first casualty of the conflict was the trust and integrity of the Supreme Court; it is no more. Now the struggle for the soul of the nation begins in earnest.

3 hours ago, TotalTop said:

When you tip over the first domino in a line, the rest start to fall, one after the other. Each one knocks over the next. Some things are as predictable as gravity. Human beings are pretty damn predictable. But in this case we don’t have to predict how certain forces will take advantage of this ruling to curtail the freedoms of other people - they wasted not one second in doing exactly that. Not satisfied with the insta-bans popping up across the states, Republicans in the house immediately started floating the idea of a national restriction. They would like nothing better than for the opposition to believe, as the perjuring Justices would have us do, that nothing more is going to happen.

Bullshit. They say you can never let a pig taste blood or it will turn bloodthirsty - these have had a drink of it now, and they like it.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, TotalTop said:

True but after what happened with Roe vs Wade they’re drunk with power and since they feel that they have the ball they might be willing to go for broke. I don’t think anyone would believe that RvW would be effectively dismantled, but it was and we have to learn from this in order to protect everyone’s civil rights and liberties 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, TotalTop said:

Not fear mongering at all. Thomas said that there is reason to revisit the right to contraception, gay sexual acts and same sex marriage. He clearly stated his agenda. 

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, drscorpio said:

Gorsuch, Kavanaugh, and Coney-Barrett who were all nominated by the last President were all asked under oath by the Senate their position on Roe v Wade. They all stated unequivocally that it was settled law and not up for reconsideration. There was nothing new in the case that was just decided that warranted overturning a 50-year-old precedent. They simply lied under oath, and are guilty of perjury. 

How come the rights from Roe v Wade, hasn't been codified in Federal law in the last 50 years as to protect the rights of women a bit more against judicial review?

Are there now plans, to codify the right to gay sex, to marry someone of your own gender and other gay (human!) rights through either Federal Law, or amendments to the US constitution?

The Supreme Court overturned a ruling that Republicans have been promising to overturn for decades and in doing so one of the justices put it in writing he was in favor of overturning sodomy laws, same sex marriage, and access to contraceptives but yes saying it's going to happen is "fear mongering." 

Some people really do keep their head in their ass I see.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

16 hours ago, NEDenver said:

If I were in Texas I’d be deciding on whether you need an exit plan after November.

I think that should apply across the board.  I haven't seriously considered it previously, but ...... 

12 hours ago, TotalTop said:

Racism is not cool.

Certainly true.  Your guess didn't occur to me (fuckewas my guess), which I thought a bit generous, given that I'm one.  If your guess is the correct one, and it may well be, it's definitely regrettable.