Undetectable

Mcv69

Being undetectable means you can not pass on HIV all the studies have been proven, so why do guys still freak out about having sex with Poz men, of course reading some posts on this forum would freak anyone out about what men choose to do, but how can we really convince people to trust the Science and to start treating undetectable guys just like guys who are using PrEP? I guess this forum for me is conflicting on one hand I read all the great stuff about healthily medicated Poz men and on the other hand I read some really wild stories about Stealthing unmediated high viral load etc. Is it all a fantasy or does that world really exist? 

• Like 2

Sadly there are those who look at someone who is undetectable and think that they’re irresponsible because they caught HIV in the first place and immediately want nothing to do with them. Not bothering to take the time to think that perhaps that person trusted someone who believed that they were negative. Not do they think about the time they were not one hundred percent responsible. 
Now I’m regards to the stories posted who can truly say which are true and which are fantasy, only the person who’s posting knows for sure. Then sometimes a story is mostly true with some embellishments added for flourish. Some live  by the saying “Never let the truth get in the way of a good story”. Sometimes it’s better to just enjoy what you read and leave at that

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

There is a lot of ignorance in the world, particularly when it comes to science and healthcare. As a nurse who's cared for a lot of Covid patients , i encontered family  who were convinced we were keeping their very sick family members in the hospital unnecessarily. Honestly, some of the stuff people would say to me left me speechless. Science supports vaccines, yet look at the large number of people who are afraid or reject them.  People watch a youtube vid and are convinced they are medical experts afterwards, there are many people who really don't grasp what science is or how it works. 

i'm more often than not convinced that people act out of emotion more than reason. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Mcv69 said:

Being undetectable means you can not pass on HIV all the studies have been proven, so why do guys still freak out about having sex with Poz men, of course reading some posts on this forum would freak anyone out about what men choose to do, but how can we really convince people to trust the Science and to start treating undetectable guys just like guys who are using PrEP? I guess this forum for me is conflicting on one hand I read all the great stuff about healthily medicated Poz men and on the other hand I read some really wild stories about Stealthing unmediated high viral load etc. Is it all a fantasy or does that world really exist? 

I often have wondered this myself. And I am also similarly conflicted. Do we undermine ourselves and our own progress or are people as ignorant as @tallslenderguydescribes??  I appreciate this community and everything about it. I do have to remind myself though to be cautious as there is the potential for an echo-chamber effect.

"Bug-chasers" and the fetish of catching HIV or any STI is something I will never understand either and I find it also under mines the joy of bare back sex...whether it is or is not just part of the possible consequences. I mean seriously , everyone can be responsible and stop the spread by getting tested and being aware.

Anyway...I fear things are not getting any better these days.

• Like 3

I guess it really comes down to the individual really. I was scared AF about taking an undetectable load and read up on it and got over that phobia but it wasn’t easy. I still get a bit nervous to be honest. But guys who are undetectable tend to be very upfront and honest about their status and I can’t say that for most other guys who will say they’re neg just to end the questions or who lie and say they’re on Prep when they aren’t. In some respects it’s like undetectable guys get unfairly put in the penalty box for their status and their honest and that’s fucked up.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well I think there are a lot of different reasons 

A LOT of guys still don’t know that Undetectable =Untransmitable (or U=U) I don’t think there was a very big/effective campaign around it

i think most of the press around it was in the Poz press  - and not the general community- and not that many neg guys read tge Poz press - and it was a long time ago and so it is no longer “news” so no one is going to get excited about the story “now”

PrEP is only getting a big campaign because the Rx companies can make money off it - and the more they get the word out the more customers they will get (and I just heard that the Biden administration is about to pass (has just passed) a regulation that all insurance plans have to cover PrEP

mind you I am not complaining about any of that but no Rx co is going to get new customers out of advertising U=U so who is going to spring for tge a big ad campaign?

and then we are still left with the old original binary definition of “safe sex” which is condoms or die

where as safe sex is now really a multiple choice menu where you can order one, two, or all three from: U=U, PrEP,  condoms depending on your comfort level 

• Upvote 1

The other day I read a Really stupid blog written by Rahmel Reid, that was sent in an Andrew Christian email about “Raw is Law”

Where he kept equating “raw sex” with “unprotected sex” 

yes - sometimes raw sex is the same as having unprotected sex - but both guys are on PrEP,  or one is Undetectable, or one is U and on on P - than they are as protected from HIV as two guys using condoms (admittedly they are only protected from HIV and not the other STIs we can get) 

but it still drove me nuts who little he seemed to know about safer sex

so I guess it is just up to us - one a time educating guys about the science 

• Upvote 1

For what it's worth. 

I'm poz, on meds and undetectable.  I have been for 30 months now.I don't really know who pozzed me- I have a good idea but not certain.  I was taking event based PreP and assume I got my timing wrong. 

I was fucking raw anyway and HIV was really the last STI I hadn't got over time.  

As someone said a couple of days ago "thems the breaks " and I live with the consequences of my sex life.

Moving on, I take 1 tablet a day (duvato) but that is just added to other tablets I take for high blood pressure and statins. I still take bareback cock and loads given the choice.  I visit 56 Dean St every 6 months for a check up and another lot of meds. 

Other than that my life hasn't really changed too much. Still a dirty slut with a hole begging for cum!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I found out I was poz in he early ‘90s. There is no way for me to know who pozzed me because at that time I only did group sex (as I still do now). 
I never stopped taking raw cock but started on meds immediately. I don’t recall how long it took me to become undetectable and at the time I didn’t even know there was such a thing as undetectable. 
I infected my wife early on but never infected other girls I fucked raw as I dropped to undetectable. We have both been undetectable for about 30 (give or take) and neither of us have infected anyone else. 
I always try to explain to guys that being poz but undetectable is like living a normal life. I take one pill a day. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 1hornyjohn said:

For what it's worth. 

I'm poz, on meds and undetectable.  I have been for 30 months now.I don't really know who pozzed me- I have a good idea but not certain.  I was taking event based PreP and assume I got my timing wrong. 

I was fucking raw anyway and HIV was really the last STI I hadn't got over time.  

As someone said a couple of days ago "thems the breaks " and I live with the consequences of my sex life.

Moving on, I take 1 tablet a day (duvato) but that is just added to other tablets I take for high blood pressure and statins. I still take bareback cock and loads given the choice.  I visit 56 Dean St every 6 months for a check up and another lot of meds. 

Other than that my life hasn't really changed too much. Still a dirty slut with a hole begging for cum!

And did you have to tell everyone of your new status.  I'm still going over it in my mind. No-one knows I'm a cum whore. I always bb but that doesnt happen as often as I'd like it to. I don't know enough about  prep. Is there a discreet way to get it? One tablet a day doesn't sound a big deal.

• Piggy 1

47 minutes ago, borntosuck said:

And did you have to tell everyone of your new status.  I'm still going over it in my mind. No-one knows I'm a cum whore. I always bb but that doesnt happen as often as I'd like it to. I don't know enough about  prep. Is there a discreet way to get it? One tablet a day doesn't sound a big deal.

I only mention it if asked as I can't pass it on. Prep generally available in UK sexual health clinics 

11 hours ago, 1hornyjohn said:

For what it's worth. 

Interesting. This concerns me a bit as I'm on event-based PreP too. Sometimes I get anxious about whether I've taken today's tablet or not. I switched on to event-based during the pandemic, probably should switch back but sourcing PreP has been an issue lately. If you don't mind me asking, did you often have issues with correct adherence?

On 6/25/2022 at 2:47 PM, Mcv69 said:

From my experience, myself having permanent std, many many people arent educated on sex, stds, and medications. And those who are are afraid that someone on meds might be lying and prefer not to take the risk. It all comes down to sexual education. I usually have to explain to someone that any sexual act has risk, even without penetration, so i usually take the time to educate them. It does get tiring and it disappoints me that alot of people dont know enough about what they participate in.

• Moderators
23 hours ago, onlyraw said:

mind you I am not complaining about any of that but no Rx co is going to get new customers out of advertising U=U so who is going to spring for tge a big ad campaign?

I have seen ads for various HIV meds making the point that being undetectable will give you peace of mind. 

I think the more important issue is that unless one is suicidal, HIV meds are a necessity for poz folks. Ads for such meds are only going to encourage you to perhaps ask your doctor to  switch meds. 
PREP, on the other hand, is entirely elective, so ads are more likely to generate new customers.