Anyone know a low-cost Prep provider in San Francisco or San Jose for those without insurance?

MikeyM

9 hours ago, MikeyM said:

Title said it all. I'm looking to pay for Prep out-of-pocket, and preferably not have too much of a paper trail. Thanks!

There is ALWAYS a paper trail for this sort of thing. It's a prescription medication, so there will at a minimum be a prescription record at the prescribing end and at the pharmacy/filling end. And since you want low-cost, that means a prescription assistance program, and those always have paperwork. The paperwork is largely confidential, of course (HIPAA rules) but without knowing what you're trying to conceal, it's hard to advise.

If you simply want to make sure that someone in particular doesn't find out - like a parent or a spouse/partner - then get a P.O. Box somewhere, use that as your mailing address, and don't give anyone else permission to get information about your medical history with the providers. That's not particularly difficult.

In any event, the starting point for finding low-cost PrEP would probably be getyourprep.com (which redirects to [think before following links] https://readysetprep.hiv.gov/). 

Whichever health provider, pharmacy, etc. I have visited or purchased from has a record of all prescriptions  prescribed to me.  This information informs the health care provider, pharmacist, etc. of what medications are prescribed and who prescribed them in order to prevent medication contraindications.  All of my physicians, pharmacies, health insurers will know what medications I have been prescribed regardless of whether I paid cash, were paid through insurance or received as a sample from a licensed health provider.  Welcome to modern medicine in the USA.

Edited by Barebackbottomno
Added last sentence.

On 8/3/2022 at 11:21 AM, MikeyM said:

Title said it all. I'm looking to pay for Prep out-of-pocket, and preferably not have too much of a paper trail. Thanks!

Magnet/strut in the Castro does PrEP for free (meds + testing + visits). Paper trail is minimal, just your medical profile in their systems. 

On 8/8/2022 at 7:46 AM, rawfuckr said:

Magnet/strut in the Castro does PrEP for free (meds + testing + visits). Paper trail is minimal, just your medical profile in their systems. 

Thanks everyone, especially @rawfuckr! I've made an appointment to get myself prepped up, so I can pig out. LOL

Edited by MikeyM
  • Like 1