California Governor Gavin Newson pledges $100,000 to help Charlie Christ defeat Ron DeSatan (DeSantis)

ellentonboy

21 minutes ago, ErosWired said:

Not if he decides to run for President. Under Florida law, a holder of a federal, state, or local office who is seeking another office must resign from the office held no later than ten days prior to qualifying for the office sought. Failure to resign by that date will result in an automatic resignation with immediate effect. How this applies to a presidential race is unclear, but seems likely to apply to qualifying for the Florida Republican Primary.

In short, if he intends to throw his hat in the ring for POTUS, he’s a short-timer.

Perhaps (I'm not sure if that state law would be held constitutional or not; it depends on whether the courts construe it as an additional qualification to run for president, which isn't allowed). But even so, that won't make Crist governor; the Lt. Governor, who is certainly no progressive, will take his place.

And Lying Marco, who claimed his parents fled Cuba to escape Castro, when in reality they came to the US many years before and were already US citizens by 1956, will still be in the  US Senate regardless of what DeathSantis does. 

1 hour ago, BootmanLA said:

Perhaps (I'm not sure if that state law would be held constitutional or not; it depends on whether the courts construe it as an additional qualification to run for president, which isn't allowed). But even so, that won't make Crist governor; the Lt. Governor, who is certainly no progressive, will take his place.

And Lying Marco, who claimed his parents fled Cuba to escape Castro, when in reality they came to the US many years before and were already US citizens by 1956, will still be in the  US Senate regardless of what DeathSantis does. 

I would imagine the argument would be that it isn’t a requirement for running for an office so much as a restriction against holding an office. That is to say, “We as the state of Florida aren’t saying you have to resign as governor to qualify to run for President; we’re saying that once you qualify to run for President, you’re no longer qualified to serve as our governor.” As a state, they should have every right to make such a decision. As holders of positions in the public trust, officers are routinely subject to prohibitions against holding and/or running for public office, or participating in partisan political processes of various kinds. Conflicts of interest would be extremely difficult to reconcile, and the ability to fully execute the duties of the office would be impaired. Indeed, the very fact that compromising the ability to fully perform the duties of the office so that the campaign could be conducted would itself constitute such a conflict of interest.

6 minutes ago, ErosWired said:

I would imagine the argument would be that it isn’t a requirement for running for an office so much as a restriction against holding an office. That is to say, “We as the state of Florida aren’t saying you have to resign as governor to qualify to run for President; we’re saying that once you qualify to run for President, you’re no longer qualified to serve as our governor.” As a state, they should have every right to make such a decision. As holders of positions in the public trust, officers are routinely subject to prohibitions against holding and/or running for public office, or participating in partisan political processes of various kinds. Conflicts of interest would be extremely difficult to reconcile, and the ability to fully execute the duties of the office would be impaired. Indeed, the very fact that compromising the ability to fully perform the duties of the office so that the campaign could be conducted would itself constitute such a conflict of interest.

I agree that's what such a provision *should* mean. I'm just saying I cannot confidently predict what the current conservative majority of the Supreme Court would rule, especially given their willingness to toss precedent. If five of them really, really wanted DeSantis to be able to run, and he made it clear he wanted to keep serving as governor "just in case he lost", I could easily see them re-casting what the Florida law says as "effectively" a requirement to be a candidate (by effectively penalizing him unless he meets that requirement they imposed). I don't think it's a valid argument but then I don't have a vote on the Supreme Court. 

That said, unless elections are "aligned" - that is, one's re-election for current office is scheduled at the same time as the election for the office you're seeking - people run for office all the time while continuing to hold another office. And in fact, as I recall, when Al Gore ran for president in 2000, Joe Lieberman simultaneously (and successfully) ran for re-election to the US Senate at the same time he ran for vice-president on Gore's ticket.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BootmanLA said:

If five of them really, really wanted DeSantis to be able to run, and he made it clear he wanted to keep serving as governor

If five Supreme Court justices made their decisions on the basis that they wished to ensure a partisan candidate could run on his own bespoke terms, then said justices would need to be impeached for gross dereliction of their oaths of office, forthwith, immediately after being horsewhipped, tarred and feathered in the finest American tradition.

2 hours ago, hntnhole said:

From your fingers to Whatever's ears ..... we'd be thrilled to ditch the guy, one way or another.  

Be careful what you pray for - what if the sonofabitch won? Then we’d all have to suffer him for four years.

I’m afraid your “we” is pretty weak, considering Floridians elected him by a landslide. When I was driving through the panhandle a couple of weeks ago, it was nothing but DeSantis signs everywhere. He might as well have been running unopposed.

13 hours ago, ErosWired said:

If five Supreme Court justices made their decisions on the basis that they wished to ensure a partisan candidate could run on his own bespoke terms, then said justices would need to be impeached for gross dereliction of their oaths of office, forthwith, immediately after being horsewhipped, tarred and feathered in the finest American tradition.

Several of them should already be impeached for giving misleading testimony (if not actual perjury) during their confirmation hearings. We see how far that's going.

My point is that what we "need" and what we're likely to get, at any given point, are likely to diverge widely. I am now nearing 60, and I do not expect to see a non-conservative-dominated Supreme Court in my remaining lifetime, given the incredibly young ages at which the GOP has been putting their obedient lackeys on the Court.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BootmanLA said:

Several of them should already be impeached for giving misleading testimony (if not actual perjury) during their confirmation hearings. We see how far that's going.

My point is that what we "need" and what we're likely to get, at any given point, are likely to diverge widely. I am now nearing 60, and I do not expect to see a non-conservative-dominated Supreme Court in my remaining lifetime, given the incredibly young ages at which the GOP has been putting their obedient lackeys on the Court.

At 73 most assuredly SCOTUS will be substantially right wing.  (I was going to write "conservative"; which I had always taken in a more fiscal context with the social spectrum within both parties).  Local representative here in a non partisan village government.  I am on a committee which is a consortium with peers in nearby communities.  It is interesting how party simply isn't a driver for us.  All of us actually deliver services to our constituents.  We are also fellow tax payors so how we affect taxes affects us too.

I know in my lifetime we'll never achieve a rewakening of our common purpose with a lessening once again of "Hatfield's vs McCoy's" life we experience today.  

If we ever get to that point, I think one priority needs to be a reflection of how money and technology impact elected people in destructive ways.  

For myself, I am planting trees.  

57 minutes ago, JimInWisc said:

At 73 most assuredly SCOTUS will be substantially right wing.  (I was going to write "conservative"; which I had always taken in a more fiscal context with the social spectrum within both parties).  Local representative here in a non partisan village government.  I am on a committee which is a consortium with peers in nearby communities.  It is interesting how party simply isn't a driver for us.  All of us actually deliver services to our constituents.  We are also fellow tax payors so how we affect taxes affects us too.

I know in my lifetime we'll never achieve a rewakening of our common purpose with a lessening once again of "Hatfield's vs McCoy's" life we experience today.  

If we ever get to that point, I think one priority needs to be a reflection of how money and technology impact elected people in destructive ways.  

For myself, I am planting trees.  

Unelectable here, in a county where (I shit you not) the south half tried to secede from the north half two years after the Civil War was over, and nobody’s ever gotten over it. Barrel-bottom education standards to the point that if you said consortium they’d think it was some kind of conspiracy and talk about whether they out to go get their guns (you think I’m kidding). This is the state where the aforementioned McCoys lived and made moonshine, about three hours’ drive from my house (Kentucky’s broader than it is tall), and shot at their Hatfield neighbors over this’n’that. If folks here could get away with it today, they’d do the same damn thing. Which isn’t surprising. This is a state that builds its identity and stakes its pride in liquor, guns and horse racing. Not a folk much accustomed to enlightened thinking.

Early in the 20th Century, political observer James L. Mulligan wrote what might be generously called a ‘poem’ about Kentucky, famous mainly for its last stanza:

Mountains tower proudest

Thunder peals the loudest

The landscape is the grandest

And politics the damndest

In Kentucky.

I don’t have the heart to plant trees. have very little faith that, here, we’ll ever reach the reawakening of common purpose you speak of. Kentuckians are too goddamn clannish and ornery. What’s ironic is that our state seal shows a frontiersman and a statesman shaking hands, surrounded by the words:

United We Stand, Divided We Fall.

3 hours ago, BootmanLA said:

As a former federal employee, I’m frankly shocked at the utter abandonment of accountability in public service now. When I served, there were real consequences if you violated the code of ethics. You did not violate the Hatch Act. And when politicals (elected and appointed, as opposed to hired) they didn’t just brazen it out and walk scott-free. That is absolutely the legacy of Donald Trump, who showed people they could get away with anything as long as they did it without shame. And the body politic today have become so craven and weak that they permit it. Justice must be done and seen to be done to sustain an ordered society. Right now, we ain’t seein’ nothin’.