Issues with Taking PrEP

On 9/5/2022 at 6:38 AM, TwistedPrince94 said:

Hello 

Before Covid took over the world I had started PrEP since I am forever on my knees. I was prescribed with Tenofovir. The issue though is, I have never been able to swallow tablets. No matter how hard I try and i probably sound like such a baby. My doctor said i can cut it in ahlf but it made it ten x worse cos of the taste. 

I stopped taking PrEP when covid happened because I wasn't having sex 

does anyone have any advice as I am considering PrEP again

I don't know how big they are but I genetically have a smaller esophagus (got it from my dad and all my siblings share this trait) so I can't swallow nyquil/dayquil pills but anything smaller is fine. I put them in my mouth, then take a big gulp of water into my mouth so the pills are floating in the water and I can't feel them, then I swallow and continue to drink/swallow more water after to make my esophagus do the motions to get it down. Works great for me for most medication. 

Also if I'm crushing pills I've noticed I can do it with my teeth and get them submerged in water like above and with a quick swallow I can barely taste them. 

15 hours ago, hntnhole said:

I think you're first-class for getting back on PReP.  Getting the stuff down your throat shouldn't be all that tough.  Maybe in a spoonful of your favorite ice cream?  Or, have a spoonful ready and waiting, just after you take the pill?  A swig of chocolate syrup (or any other), maybe some jam or jelly?  Or a shot of whiskey, if that's your preference.  

In any case, kudos for getting back to protecting yourself and enjoying your sex-life again.  A moment's worth of bad taste (either literally or eyejunk from some jerk) is a small price to pay for taking all the precautions to protect your health.  

This is how when I was a kid, we used to give our cats and dogs their pills when they needed medication.

Not in ice-cream, but by putting it into some meat. The cat especially would have just licked the ice-cream and left the pill.

14 hours ago, TwistedPrince94 said:

I do know in america there is a PrEP vaccine you take 4 times a year id rather have it but don't think it is in the UK yet 

That's probably what @viking8x6 meant with the injectables.  Technically not a vaccine, but protects you or anyone else from HIV nonetheless. 

2 hours ago, BareLover666 said:

This is how when I was a kid, we used to give our cats and dogs their pills when they needed medication.

I still do that with the dog.  He knows he'll have to take the pill, but he squeezes his eyes shut, just like a little kid, when I pry his mouth open ... it's a hoot !!!

I am on injectable prep.  It's called apretude, think I spelled that correctly.  It's still new, just had my 4th shot this week.  And I see from the posts here if outside the US might not be an option yet where you are.    But definitely makes me feel better about climbing into a sling.

I am on injectable prep.  It's called apretude, think I spelled that correctly.  It's still new, just had my 4th shot this week.  And I see from the posts here if outside the US might not be an option yet where you are.    But definitely makes me feel better about climbing into a sling.

And it's not 4 times a year it's six.

This sounds like a bit of mind over matter.  It sounds like you have an issue with swallowing the size of pill. So start with something smaller so that your mind doesn't get stuck up on swallowing a pill perhaps start by swallowing a tick tac or small candy.  Slowly work your way up to a larger size perhaps swallow small peas.   Then take a piece of bread the soft part and roll a section into a small ball and learn to swallow that.  Eventually you can switch over to the real pill cuz your mind won't be stuck on the fact that you're swallowing the pill.  On a daily basis when you're eating you swallow items much bigger than the size of the pill is but you don't think about it so you just do it so train yourself to do that with a thing called a pill.

Okay I’m gonna sound stupid. It works I swear my whole fam has a problem with pills. Chocolate Milk I swear by it p. Now prep is ok but like the fiber horse pills. Anti biopics that are huge. I know it sounds weird but it works well

7 hours ago, Hairypiglet said:

This is fucking ridiculous. 

You eat don't you?

So fucking swallow. 

I really isn’t that simple for some people. Pills can choke you mine can get past the pipe. But sit there and nothing I do gets them down. My mother had her throat stretched. Because food started to choke her

7 hours ago, Hairypiglet said:

This is fucking ridiculous. 

You eat don't you?

So fucking swallow. 

WOW. Thats such a horrible comment. Its not that easy you know. I have a fear of pills. I also have severe anxiety as well as autism. I am sorry that there is so much hatred in your albeit very obviously tiny heart. I can't take pills normally like most people and it isnt for lack of trying. Please be sensitive and empathetic towards people instead of being horrible

I had this problem when I was younger. Just don’t overthink it relax take a sip of water and take the pill followed another sip of  water. I know it can be difficult but you can get there. Just don’t build up the issue in your mind beforehand. People who never experienced it and can swallow anything don’t understand.

And it's not 4 times a year it's six.

• 7 months later...
On 9/6/2022 at 8:23 PM, Drienk said:

Have you tried switching to Descovy? I noticed they’re  smaller pills.

Good suggestion; they're tiny, and could easily be inserted into a small cube of cheese, for instance, or a grape, or anything else.  or just gulped down with a swig of beer - "root" or "real" ...