Getting Prep online verses going to the doctor

brownsfan8912

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Has anyone had legit success with getting prep online from a real doctor from a legit site and doing those at home tests or whatever they have? Is it more cost effective to go to the doctor and get it? I have good private insurance and im sure it covers it. My doctor refused to write me the script. My work schedule makes it damn near impossible to do anything during normal business hours. Hell, I've put off getting a vasectomy for over a year now bc of how many hours I work. A few times a year I like to unwind at Flex Cleveland (bathhouse) and would like to have that piece of mind. I always hold out from pigging out bc of not being on prep. I really wanna let loose and have a good time finally.

Also a further dumb question and I'm sure its been asked a zillion times. Other than my PCP who can I go to see and get on prep or some form of it, if the online option isn't a good avenue to go down?

Thanks in advance

I think this will be a country specific answer.  In Australia it’s definitely easier to get it direct from a doctor.  I had all sorts of problems when I tried to get prep online; the testing place I went to wouldn’t do the tests.  Whereas when I went to my doctor it was much easier.  I think the online version would work for people in remote areas.  Mind you, you still have to go to a pathology lab. In the States with all your health insurance complications I don’t know how it works. 

For a start, you'd need to test to make sure you are HIV negative. I would imagine you'd need to do that in person. Home test kits are fine for checking for general STIs, but again every six months you'd need your bloods done to check kidney function. Meds can have an adverse effect. 

Do you have sexual health clinics you can go to, rather than a GP? 

To answer your last question first: you have multiple options for an in-person PrEP prescription. In the United States (which your profile says you're in), any doctor of medicine (M.D.) or doctor of osteopathic medication (D.O.) can prescribe any medication for which a prescription is required.

Additionally, in many states, there are other medical professions which have prescriptive authority, including (in some states) nurse practitioners or Advanced Practice Registered Nurses, Physician Assistants, and sometimes others. In some cases they can prescribe with no oversight by a physician; in others they must get approval from a supervising physician before the prescription can be released to the patient.

The requirement for STI testing beforehand is not, technically, a legal requirement but a guideline that the FDA, the pharmaceutical industry, and the doctors' organizations adhere to because it's very unwise for someone who is HIV+ (and may not know it) to begin taking PrEP. So you'll probably need to get bloodwork done; but the health care provider may be able to send the prescription in to a pharmacy to be filled without a second doctor's visit if your blood tests are clear.

Unfortunately, in the United States, cumbersome insurance requirements sometimes make it difficult to see a doctor other than your PCP without a referral from that PCP. A urologist would be a good candidate for someone to consult regarding PrEP but other types of doctors could do so. 

My question for you is: Do you want to continue using a PCP who ignores your sexual health concerns? If you like the doctor otherwise, I would ask him to reconsider, telling him that your sexual practices put you at risk, and you want the peace of mind of being protected; if he refuses, ask him for a referral to a doctor who would be willing.

If he won't give you a referral, I'd strongly consider changing doctors, period, because while you want him to use his expertise, you don't want his personal moral choices and opinions shaping your care (or lack thereof, in this case).

There may also be government-funded or sponsored clinics in your area that focus on STIs. That includes prevention, not just treatment, and they'd probably be happy to keep you from needing treatment services by helping you locate preventative care. They may even be able to arrange eveything themselves.

• Upvote 2

Well I guess first off I really would like to change my PCP. She is a nice lady but in reality she is just a nurse practitioner. I seen her when I didn't have insurance and she is a good overall doctor. She just didn't feel qualified or know enough about Prep to write me a script. I live in north western Pennsylvania (Mercer County to be exact ) I have zero idea of where to even look for a doctor in my area which would take united healthcare insurance.  Can anyone help since it sounds like seeing an in person doctor seems to be the better option. Its extremely difficult for me to take off work work during the week so I have to put off things which are not dire emergencies. It is sad but that is the life for so many people in the US bc we are slaves to our jobs. Anyway thanks for the thoughtful responses. I hope someone can point me in the right direction. To my knowledge there isn't even a legit Planned parenthood clinic around anymore.  

2 hours ago, BootmanLA said:

To answer your last question first: you have multiple options for an in-person PrEP prescription. In the United States (which your profile says you're in), any doctor of medicine (M.D.) or doctor of osteopathic medication (D.O.) can prescribe any medication for which a prescription is required.

Additionally, in many states, there are other medical professions which have prescriptive authority, including (in some states) nurse practitioners or Advanced Practice Registered Nurses, Physician Assistants, and sometimes others. In some cases they can prescribe with no oversight by a physician; in others they must get approval from a supervising physician before the prescription can be released to the patient.

The requirement for STI testing beforehand is not, technically, a legal requirement but a guideline that the FDA, the pharmaceutical industry, and the doctors' organizations adhere to because it's very unwise for someone who is HIV+ (and may not know it) to begin taking PrEP. So you'll probably need to get bloodwork done; but the health care provider may be able to send the prescription in to a pharmacy to be filled without a second doctor's visit if your blood tests are clear.

Unfortunately, in the United States, cumbersome insurance requirements sometimes make it difficult to see a doctor other than your PCP without a referral from that PCP. A urologist would be a good candidate for someone to consult regarding PrEP but other types of doctors could do so. 

My question for you is: Do you want to continue using a PCP who ignores your sexual health concerns? If you like the doctor otherwise, I would ask him to reconsider, telling him that your sexual practices put you at risk, and you want the peace of mind of being protected; if he refuses, ask him for a referral to a doctor who would be willing.

If he won't give you a referral, I'd strongly consider changing doctors, period, because while you want him to use his expertise, you don't want his personal moral choices and opinions shaping your care (or lack thereof, in this case).

There may also be government-funded or sponsored clinics in your area that focus on STIs. That includes prevention, not just treatment, and they'd probably be happy to keep you from needing treatment services by helping you locate preventative care. They may even be able to arrange eveything themselves.

to be completely honest

I'd do it online in the short term. sites like qcareplus /heymistr (add dot com) should make it extremely easy--in almost every state you can perform the sample collection at home. In the USA it's also mandatory that any recent insurance plan cover 100% of PrEP costs.

Longer term you should probably find a better doctor. If you've told them you're having raw gay sex and they aren't actively trying to get you on PrEP they're either completely incompetent or willfully negligent. The CDC's guidance could be understood by an elementary school child and googling PrEP indications for prescription has the handy flowchart as literally the 1st result.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, loadsgoinside said:

I'd do it online in the short term. sites like qcareplus /heymistr (add dot com) should make it extremely easy--in almost every state you can perform the sample collection at home. In the USA it's also mandatory that any recent insurance plan cover 100% of PrEP costs.

Longer term you should probably find a better doctor. If you've told them you're having raw gay sex and they aren't actively trying to get you on PrEP they're either completely incompetent or willfully negligent. The CDC's guidance could be understood by an elementary school child and googling PrEP indications for prescription has the handy flowchart as literally the 1st result.

Do Doctors actually ask if you have male-male sex or if you have unprotected sex?  I've never been asked that.  The initial screening questions when I started going to the clinic I go to (a big chain) asked if I was sexually active and whether I was monogamous or multiple partners, but nothing about the genders I play with.  The lady nurse gave me a very interesting smirk when I answered "multiple".  Made my little cock twitch in my pants...

They asked me if I wanted to add any STD testing to my regular physical this year, but I think that's a standard question.  Not sure if it is triggered by my "multiple" answer a few years ago, but I suppose it could be.

They've also never said anything about PrEP, but I suppose if they assume I'm a straight guy they might not.

Well after the feedback and further research I found a clinic that isn't that far away (about 45 min) and I made an appointment for Nov 4th. I'm over the moon excited about the opportunity that is just around the corner. Sexual liberty from the fear of having my life upended by the possibility of getting hiv is something that I've sought the courage to tackle for a long time. There has been a number of obstacles that were in my way but no more. I will be waiting my week for it to take full effect and then Ill be sprinting to my local bathhouse (Flex Cleveland) for a well earned over night stay. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Dynamix. Their website is Purchase-prep (add dot com)
They are a non-profit, global-shipping business whose goal is to make sure ANYONE can get it. Does require an image of your prescription and your passport. My latest 3 month supply cost $69 with free shipping. It's on its way now.