DoxyPEP being rolled out in San Franciso

• Administrators

The leading edge of STI prevention is DoxyPEP. Basically it amounts to taking doxycycline after having sex. Multiple studies have shown that it reduces incidents of chlamydia, gonorrhea, and syphilis by more than 60%. That said…

Preventive use of doxycycline is not without concerns. One is that overuse of antibiotics can lead to drug resistance. Another is whether frequent antibiotic use would disrupt the microbiome, the ecosystem of healthy bacteria that normally live in the gut and elsewhere in the body.

"This isn't meant for everyone," she said at an AIDS conference media briefing. "But there are populations that are really suffering from the STI epidemic, and it's time to take action on the data and really think about incorporating it into guidelines and rolling this out in a safe and thoughtful way."

So if you get frequent STIs, talk to a doctor who specializes in sexual health about DoxyPEP. (Your regular doctor probably know what in the fuck you're talking about when you say DoxyPEP).

https://apple.news/AjoWzXDCqRVqayuxg-wkuGg

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

This subject has lead to some heated discussions elsewhere in this forum- I’ve been made to feel very naughty and even downvoted for admitting that informal DoxyPEP is something I’ve occasionally indulged in on the sly, usually after particularly slutty sessions with multiple partners.

Nice to see that there are clearly some medical professionals/authorities who are now endorsing this approach- I feel somewhat vindicated, though I’m sure I’m still gonna get a slap on the wrist from somebody on here for self-medicating and not waiting for official approval.

• Like 3

Ok, I'm officially in!

Called one medical here in SF and they were up to date with the recommendations. Was advised to take 200mg after the action and that's it. Rx sent to Walgreens and in hand. Amazing 

Edited by rawfuckr

On 10/24/2022 at 8:52 AM, rawTOP said:

The leading edge of STI prevention is DoxyPEP. Basically it amounts to taking doxycycline after having sex. Multiple studies have shown that it reduces incidents of chlamydia, gonorrhea, and syphilis by more than 60%. That said…

So if you get frequent STIs, talk to a doctor who specializes in sexual health about DoxyPEP. (Your regular doctor probably know what in the fuck you're talking about when you say DoxyPEP).

[think before following links] https://apple.news/AjoWzXDCqRVqayuxg-wkuGg

Correction, unfortunately DoxyPEP doesn't protect against Gonorrhea, as the bacterium Neisseria gonorrhoeae nowadays is immune/highly resistant to penicillin, tetracycline (doxycycline belongs to this group), and fluoroquinolones. Immunity to  cephalosporin is growing which is very scary. In 2017 The WHO put Neisseria gonorrhoeae to HIGH priority pathogens list for R&D, since then the situation hasn't improved. See the details here [think before following links] https://www.who.int/news/item/27-02-2017-who-publishes-list-of-bacteria-for-which-new-antibiotics-are-urgently-needed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/3/2022 at 1:03 PM, someboy said:

Correction, unfortunately DoxyPEP doesn't protect against Gonorrhea, as the bacterium Neisseria gonorrhoeae nowadays is immune/highly resistant to penicillin, tetracycline (doxycycline belongs to this group), and fluoroquinolones. Immunity to  cephalosporin is growing which is very scary. In 2017 The WHO put Neisseria gonorrhoeae to HIGH priority pathogens list for R&D, since then the situation hasn't improved. See the details here [think before following links] [think before following links] https://www.who.int/news/item/27-02-2017-who-publishes-list-of-bacteria-for-which-new-antibiotics-are-urgently-needed.

In SF DoxyPEP study they saw 55%ish reduction in gono with DoxyPEP. So there's that... 75-80%ish for syphilis and clam

I’m not in SF.  Just as a test I tried a couple of the online providers, one who I had used to get PreP years back and none of them were really ready to prescribe doxy.    As a health care worker myself, I’m used to initiating practice changes and have put together a packet of studies for them.    Have included it in post exposure protocol in my ED, which includes doxy, flagyl and antiviral.

Just dumped packet off with my PCP.   My concern is shelf life of the doxycycline.  How many of us keep our meds in the correct environment for long term storage?

• 1 month later...

I'm glad that doxy is finally becoming more mainstream. Any practicing cumdump will eventually pick up chlam, gono and syph, it's just how it is. What I think many don't realize though is that aside from the more overt late stage symptoms, fairly early on left untreated, you'll start getting skin problems, put muscle on much slower, be more tired, more depressed and get stressed out more easily from all the systemic inflammation caused by chronic infection (if you don't believe me, go track your c reactive protein levels next time you pick up something) i.e. they progressively make your skin, body and hair less and less attractive thus hamstringing your capacity to bring in a daily dose of cock. Unacceptable. Doxy on its own is actually a mild anti-inflammatory as well, and maybe I'm imagining it but I feel like my mood is better when I'm on it than when I'm not.🤷

On 11/6/2022 at 9:13 AM, Oldercumslut said:

My concern is shelf life of the doxycycline.  How many of us keep our meds in the correct environment for long term storage?

Not concerned about this. I get the same dosage 100mg doxy prescribed as a treatment for acne and for CA$10 it comes as 100 pills in a container with a label that says store at room temp and avoid sunlight. Seems pretty stable. Also, minocycline is apparently pretty similar and often used interchangeably with doxy for acne. Havent looked up any studies on mino but I'd bet it's just as functional

On 11/3/2022 at 2:03 PM, someboy said:

DoxyPEP doesn't protect against Gonorrhea

It does protect against and treat it. There might be an increasing prevalence of resistant strains but there are several clinical studies showing a stat sig change in incidence when used as PEP

On 10/24/2022 at 6:52 AM, rawTOP said:

I think that number is for PEP but there are also studies showing a much higher incidence reduction and reduced recovery time when used as a prophylaxis.

Your point on antibiotic resistance is a fair one and legit, but on the other hand, not using it will mean more occurrence of late stage syph patients and the only treatment for that is a butt shot with penicillin for which resistance can also develop with increase use. Also, penicillin is way more valuable imo as an antibiotic than doxy considering it can save your life from things like sepsis or pneumonia for example.

Edited by rock-cock-jock

3 hours ago, rock-cock-jock said:

On 11/6/2022 at 8:13 AM, Oldercumslut said:

Not concerned about this. I get the same dosage 100mg doxy prescribed as a treatment for acne and for CA$10 it comes as 100 pills in a container with a label that says store at room temp and avoid sunlight. Seems pretty stable. Also, minocycline is apparently pretty similar and often used interchangeably with doxy for acne. Havent looked up any studies on mino but I'd bet it's just as functional

The tablets are much more stable than the capsules. Follow your doctor's advice for storage and use. The capsules can go bad, and they can lead to kidney damage if used after the have gone bad. Right now the shelf life of doxycycline is expected to be four years if stored properly. It is one of a handful of drugs with a short shelf life. Also, be aware some people are sensitive to doxycycline and can develop kidney issues with long term use. Have your doctor check your kidney function regularly.

[think before following links] https://medssafety.com/what-is-the-shelf-life-for-doxycycline/

From the site above: 

Can doxycycline be used after the expiration date?

No, the safety of doxycycline beyond its shelf life or the expiration date cannot be guaranteed and it can also be risky and potentially harmful to the patient’s health. Not only is there the possibility that the medication is less effective, but there is also a chance that there has been the growth of bacteria or degra­dation of the drug that can lead to toxic effects.

• 3 weeks later...

does any one have any idea what's the best time to take doxyPEP? From the SF study all they say is the next 72 hours.. but that feels too long. Also for some reason, I think there's a 'too early' period to take it, like right after fucking. I'm just doing next day but I wish there was more info on when its the optimal time.

Bear in mind this is not an official medical opinion, but reading reports about the study, they said "Participants in the intervention arm were told to take a single dose of doxycycline as soon as possible and no more than 72 hours after condomless sex."

By "as soon as possible" I would imagine they mean within a few hours, if not right after.

Bear in mind that if you're infected during a sex act, that infection begins to spread almost immediately - as soon as the bacteria can make a beachhead. When you take medication, unless it's a time-release form, it enters your system pretty quickly as well, and starts distributing itself through your body.

One of the reasons Doxycycline was chosen as an STI-PEP medication is that it has a long half-life - that is, it takes longer for your body to eradicate it from your system, so it remains efficacious for longer than some other antibiotics. That means it'll keep knocking down the nascent STI for a longer period than an antibiotic with a short half-life.

So I would say the sooner the better. Certainly there's no evident reason to wait a full day to start the treatment; the infection, if there is one, is going to be getting established before that (although the dose may, in fact, knock it out). 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So here's a testimony of DoxyPEP working.. so far. 

None of my 2022 PrEP quartely labs came clean. Usually chlamydia, sometimes chlamydia+gono.  This past 3 months, with 200ish cocks going into my ass during the xmas break and a good amount wrapping my cock too.. PrEP labs all clean.  Too early to tell if doxypep is making a difference but this looks promising.

• Upvote 1