DoxyPEP being rolled out in San Franciso

On 3/11/2023 at 10:51 AM, DilfSub said:

Hrmm, is this distributed via St Pauls for PrEP too?

It is not covered by the provincial program like PrEP.   The script can be filled by any pharmacy (cost may be covered by extended medical) 

On 1/26/2023 at 12:14 AM, rawfuckr said:

So here's a testimony of DoxyPEP working.. so far. 

None of my 2022 PrEP quartely labs came clean. Usually chlamydia, sometimes chlamydia+gono.  This past 3 months, with 200ish cocks going into my ass during the xmas break and a good amount wrapping my cock too.. PrEP labs all clean.  Too early to tell if doxypep is making a difference but this looks promising.

Having been infected with chlamydia and gono that often do you still have symptoms and if you do, do you recognize them right away?  Or are you more or less asymptomatic and don't know you have it until you go in for your labs?

3 hours ago, austin_submale said:

Having been infected with chlamydia and gono that often do you still have symptoms and if you do, do you recognize them right away?  Or are you more or less asymptomatic and don't know you have it until you go in for your labs?

I get them mostly in the ass and mouth. In the ass I can almost always tell there's something going on although the feel is pretty subtle. Hole feels like 'puckered up', 'tight' and 'worked out'. It's hard to describe...  If you weren't in tune with it you'd probably wouldn't notice.   In  mouth most of the time is completely asymptomatic but when I do notice it it's usually a tingly feeling in the throat.  Both gono and clam behave the same for me.

The full blown symptomatic cases I've had have been on the dick and never gono or chlamydia. Got e.coli infection in the urethra that was very uncomfortable (non-stop pee sensation 24/7 but no pee) and made me seek care right away.  Fixed with ABs.  On another occasion another urethra infection that ended with a pyocele and my balls becoming 5x the size.. ended in ER. Fixed with ABs. Just comes with the territory when you dip your cock in bare ass, I guess.

Edited by rawfuckr
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, rawfuckr said:

I get them mostly in the ass and mouth. In the ass I can almost always tell there's something going on although the feel is pretty subtle. Hole feels like 'puckered up', 'tight' and 'worked out'. It's hard to describe...  If you weren't in tune with it you'd probably wouldn't notice.   In  mouth most of the time is completely asymptomatic but when I do notice it it's usually a tingly feeling in the throat.  Both gono and clam behave the same for me.

The full blown symptomatic cases I've had have been on the dick and never gono or chlamydia. Got e.coli infection in the urethra that was very uncomfortable (non-stop pee sensation 24/7 but no pee) and made me seek care right away.  Fixed with ABs.  On another occasion another urethra infection that ended with a pyocele and my balls becoming 5x the size.. ended in ER. Fixed with ABs. Just comes with the territory when you dip your cock in bare ass, I guess.

Thanks...  I probably should get tested...  I sometimes have some of those sensations but never really anything that sent me to the clinic.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a new study on the topic of Doxy as a prophylactic intervention for STD's.  

"The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is drafting recommendations for using it as a kind of morning-after pill for preventing STDs, said Dr. Leandro Mena, director of the agency’s STD prevention division.

The drug is already used to treat a range of infections. A study published last week in the New England Journal of Medicine showed its potential to prevent sexually transmitted infections.

In the study, about 500 gay men, bisexual men and transgender women in Seattle and San Francisco with previous sexually transmitted infections took one doxycycline pill within 72 hours of unprotected sex. Those who took the pills were about 90% less likely to get chlamydia, about 80% less likely to get syphilis, and more than 50% less likely to get gonorrhea compared with people who did not take the pills after sex, the researchers found."

[think before following links] https://www.oregonlive.com/health/2023/04/this-inexpensive-pill-might-fight-skyrocketing-sexually-transmitted-infections.html?utm_source=ground.news&utm_medium=referral

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Just spent a month of absolute debauchery, literally 100's cocks in me, dozens of loads, and... all clear. I'm fairly sure Doxy PEP is working at this point. Same behavior last year would have resulted in a + somewhere for gono or chlam or syphilis.

I'm still not 100% in with Doxy PEP because given the frequency I have to take it. There were some weeks in there were I took 200mg of Doxy every day for 8-9 nine days that feels like a bit too much. Feeling fine but wondering of the downside of taking so much Doxy.

Edited by rawfuckr
  • Piggy 1

5 hours ago, VersGuyAnon said:

I would have thought taking it regularly might lead to it eventually not being effective in treating the STI?

That's a misconception I've heard before.  It's not the human who develops resistance... It's the bacteria that becomes resistant. 

The human loading up on doxy just makes it less likely that if you get it, bacteria will spread. You need to get a resistant variant for it to be a problem. And this doesn't depend individually on how much doxy or less you take. 

• rawTOP unpinned this topic
On 6/10/2023 at 9:00 PM, rawfuckr said:

That's a misconception I've heard before.  It's not the human who develops resistance... It's the bacteria that becomes resistant. 

The human loading up on doxy just makes it less likely that if you get it, bacteria will spread. You need to get a resistant variant for it to be a problem. And this doesn't depend individually on how much doxy or less you take. 

This is partially, but not completely, accurate. Those resistant variants don’t just spontaneously appear. Resistance is generally a result of natural selection as an organism adapts to survive in an otherwise adverse environment. A drug may kill off almost all of a particular type of microbe, but perhaps a very small number of individuals share a genetic trait that enabled them to withstand the assault. They then go on to reproduce more with such traits, getting better at surviving with each exposure to the adverse condition.

Taking doxycycline only when you test positive for an STD only pits the organism against the hazard in those limited circumstances; taking it every time you fuck means that every fuck becomes an opportunity for the organism to select for the strongest, and if you then walk around with an untested asymptomatic infection and spread it, you’re spreading the survivors - increasingly stronger germs.

In 2015 the National Institutes of Health sounded an alarm about the danger to human health of growing antibiotic resistance as a result of the routine nontherapeutic use of eight classes of antibiotics in animal agriculture - including tetracyclines, the class that includes doxycycline. This principle is not dissimilar. Doxypep is a prophylactic, not a therapeutic, use of the antibiotic. It may be that in attempting to make ourselves infection-proof, we may do exactly the opposite, and leave ourselves with illnesses we can’t even treat.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, ErosWired said:

This is partially, but not completely, accurate. Those resistant variants don’t just spontaneously appear. Resistance is generally a result of natural selection as an organism adapts to survive in an otherwise adverse environment. A drug may kill off almost all of a particular type of microbe, but perhaps a very small number of individuals share a genetic trait that enabled them to withstand the assault. They then go on to reproduce more with such traits, getting better at surviving with each exposure to the adverse condition.

Taking doxycycline only when you test positive for an STD only pits the organism against the hazard in those limited circumstances; taking it every time you fuck means that every fuck becomes an opportunity for the organism to select for the strongest, and if you then walk around with an untested asymptomatic infection and spread it, you’re spreading the survivors - increasingly stronger germs.

In 2015 the National Institutes of Health sounded an alarm about the danger to human health of growing antibiotic resistance as a result of the routine nontherapeutic use of eight classes of antibiotics in animal agriculture - including tetracyclines, the class that includes doxycycline. This principle is not dissimilar. Doxypep is a prophylactic, not a therapeutic, use of the antibiotic. It may be that in attempting to make ourselves infection-proof, we may do exactly the opposite, and leave ourselves with illnesses we can’t even treat.

I'm with you.

I'm just fighting the concept that taking doxy regularly changes something in your body, so your body is now less able to fight bacteria. As you've explained, the way in where Doxy could be less effective over time is through the convoluted evolution process you've explained.

At the same time, isn't it true that if DoxyPEP is as effective as it seems, infections are stopped at its root and chances of resistance are diminished?

Edited by rawfuckr
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rawfuckr said:

I'm with you.

I'm just fighting the concept that taking doxy regularly changes something in your body, so your body is now less able to fight bacteria. As you've explained, the way in where Doxy could be less effective over time is through the convoluted evolution process you've explained.

At the same time, isn't it true that if DoxyPEP is as effective as it seems, infections are stopped at its root and chances of resistance are diminished?

That’s why I said you were both accurate and inaccurate. You were right that the medication does not cause a change in the host’s body that would reduce the ability to resist infection - or indeed, increase the ability, as antibiotics do not confer immunity any more than an application of bug spray grants our bodies lasting immunity to mosquitoes.

And, yes, ideally, if the prophylaxis is effective, infection should be stopped at the root. Ideally. If. Except there are simply going to be times when it isn’t 100% effective, and will instead leave hardy survivors to procreate hardier strains.

It’s the ramping up of the number of doses, the sheer volume increase of total exposure of the microbial populations as a whole to doxycycline, that will increase the potential for resistance, just as it’s doing in chickens and cows who are being fed antibiotics to make them more robust.

Edited by ErosWired