Technical Issue with BZ and Safari 16.1 / MacOS Ventura 13.0

AirmaxUK

TL;DR - You may need to switch off "Hide IP Address from Trackers" in latest Safari/MacOS (or use Chrome)

----

For admin/geeks - Have noticed since updating my Macbook a couple of days ago that pages on here are failing to load completely and the progress bar freezes up.

Looking into this a bit with the Timeline Inspector in Safari it appears that two bits of google analytics are what's freezing - it looks like both analytics.js and api.js are getting stuck. 

Although I could live without google analytics, their being non-operational seems to stop other parts of the page from rendering - for instance the Create New Topic page doesn't load the editor to type in the post content. 

Switching to Chrome on the same machine, everything loads OK. 

Figuring it's something to do with the extra security in the new MacOS / Safari I switched off the "Hide IP Address from trackers" in Safari Preferences. Breeding zone now loads ok in Safari.  I switched them back on again and it continues to load ok - until you quit and restart Safari.  I guess something gets cached and works for a while.  In the new safari you can choose options on a site by site basis, so Un-ticking "Enable Content Blockers" in "Settings for breeding.zone" seems like it might work, but it doesn't. 

Have noticed similar behavior on Lenovo's and Aliexpress... there's likely others too. 

Be interested to know the root cause?

• Thanks 4

• Administrators

I've been considering dropping Google Analytics completely for a while now. Was definitely going to do it before next year when they're forcing people to migrate to GA4. Guess now is the time to turn it off.

Thanks for giving such a good bug report!

Update:

Google Analytics is now turned off.

api.js is part of reCAPTCHA v3 (also by Google). That I'm reluctant to turn it off because it's how I tell if site visits are by humans or not. Once you're logged in I don't mind turning it off (since that's another way to tell if you're human), but I'll need to do some research to figure out what my options are.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 5

On 10/28/2022 at 2:08 PM, rawTOP said:

I've been considering dropping Google Analytics completely for a while now. Was definitely going to do it before next year when they're forcing people to migrate to GA4. Guess now is the time to turn it off.

Update:

api.js is part of reCAPTCHA v3 (also by Google). That I'm reluctant to turn it off because it's how I tell if site visits are by humans or not. Once you're logged in I don't mind turning it off (since that's another way to tell if you're human), but I'll need to do some research to figure out what my options are.

Thanks for fixing this. 

• 3 months later...
On 10/28/2022 at 2:08 PM, rawTOP said:

Update:

Update: Just got a new iPad Air and tried accessing BZ… Despite your fix, I still need to turn off the Apple Limit IP address tracking in the Wi-Fi settings or pages on here fail to load completely. Usually on forum pages the reply box at the bottom of the page never works, and on picture galleries the image never shows. You can also tell there’s a problem because the url bar shows the cross icon to stop loading the page rather than the circular arrow ‘reload’ icon. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.