The Twitter takeover.

amsrat

A lot of people of have sex profiles on twitter and post explicit material on it. Now with the Elon Musk takeover (and possible demise) but also the reinstatement of Trump's profile (voted for solely by Musks own rightwing followers). How safe do you feel there now? And  if moving out, where will you be moving to?

• Like 2

Certainly not happy the direction things are going in, the Trump decision is not a good one and will only lead I think to bigger problems, but as yet no idea which other platform I would move to.

any suggestions for a good alternative platform would be appreciated 

• 2 weeks later...

As safe as I’ve ever felt on a social media platform .I’m prob not moving until it’s completely dead and don’t really have an alternative yet.  I’ll see what develops.  I block things I’m not interested in so I never really hear the Cheeto in chief anyway. (I do have a separate twitter account for just that purpose.). I also use it for professional organization and to keep in contact with my peers around the world.

So Musk unmuzzles Trump, who incited a mob to violence at the Capitol and just hosted the antisemite formerly known as Kanye West at Mar-a-Lago, then turns around and suspends West’s account for breaking Twitter’s rules against inciting violence.

😐

This is no way to run a railroad. And it suggests a significant deficit in understanding in how to run a social media platform, and possibly a native skill for running one into the ground.

I will say this, with a certain degree of experience, an an Autistic person: Musk, as an Autistic person, has no business being the head of a social media juggernaut. Autistic people, by and large, don’t do ‘social’. It’s not our strong suit. Musk may, in fact, possibly be the sort of person to get a spaceship to Mars, but he’s never going to understand people at a fundamental level and he’s demonstrating his social ineptitude at every opportunity. Call me crazy (actually, never call an Autistic person crazy) but it seems to me that if you expect to be successful running a business selling honey, you really ought to understand bees.

All of which is to say, I wouldn’t count on anything but chaos out of Musk’s (mis)management of Twitter, and my bet is that it will either fold or he’ll get tired of being the savior of free speech in a hurry and find some way to sell it in a fire sale once he realizes how damaged it is.

In any current scenario, my guess is that anyone relying on Twitter as a home for his Adult profile should start hunting for alternative real estate.

Edited by ErosWired
  • Upvote 3

I had twitter for an author project and I was considering to create one for sex-related matters. But, knowing how things are going, I have given it up. 

I closed Facebook account some years ago, I have not Instagram or tiktok, let me say I hate social networks because of those algorythms deciding to show you what _they_ decide is worthy for you, regardless of your real interests. So, I've decided to stay here for sex related chats and for the rest writing on a self-hosted website. I also heard about a social called Mastodon, but we're always in the same condition: you're welcome till the server maintainer decides you can. 

I see the hate towards conservative gay men is still practiced overtly by the sociopaths online. Crying about the loss of censorship and ability to interfere with elections on one social media platform, when the left is still controlling all the other ones, and also big Tech, the legacy media, most of corporate America, Hollywood, the banking industry, big pharma, etc, is so 2020, guys. Next thing you will probably tell me that you got assaulted by two white gay men wearing Tesla hats that were screaming "This is Twitter country", right before they put a noose around your neck and ran off into the back of the dark room. Trump 2024🇺🇲

1 hour ago, Amborius said:

I see the hate towards conservative gay men is still practiced overtly by the sociopaths online. Crying about the loss of censorship and ability to interfere with elections on one social media platform, when the left is still controlling all the other ones, and also big Tech, the legacy media, most of corporate America, Hollywood, the banking industry, big pharma, etc, is so 2020, guys. Next thing you will probably tell me that you got assaulted by two white gay men wearing Tesla hats that were screaming "This is Twitter country", right before they put a noose around your neck and ran off into the back of the dark room. Trump 2024🇺🇲

Sociopathy is subset of a specific clinical disorder identified in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual-5, and you do not appear to be familiar with its actual meaning. You are certainly using it incorrectly. I would refer you to Antisocial Personality Disorder, DSM-5 301.7.

I cannot comment on the remainder of the post, as it was so full of dog whistles I couldn’t hear a thing it said.

Edited by ErosWired
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have Mastodon, and it's refreshing really. There is no algorithm it serves most recent. I've had more enjoyable conversations there that Twitter. Not sure how long it will last but for now it's good. It is harder to find people because of the way it's developed but if you use hashtags, it's pretty easy to find people to follow.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I may be setting a target on myself here, but I honestly don't get the idea of feeling "safe" on Twitter (or any social media platform, really.) Now, I acknowledge that I am a white, cisgender male so my experience will be different than others.. but if someone says something I don't like, or is mean, or whatever.. I just ignore them. If it's super outrageous, I'll block them and move on with my day. Feeling "safe" never crosses my mind, because what are words on the internet going to do that I didn't already survive in high school?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, PendragonSpirit said:

I may be setting a target on myself here, but I honestly don't get the idea of feeling "safe" on Twitter (or any social media platform, really.) Now, I acknowledge that I am a white, cisgender male so my experience will be different than others.. but if someone says something I don't like, or is mean, or whatever.. I just ignore them. If it's super outrageous, I'll block them and move on with my day. Feeling "safe" never crosses my mind, because what are words on the internet going to do that I didn't already survive in high school?

The problem comes, when things like calling someone groomer, or using the N-word is normalized. That’s what’s  happening on Twitter right now.

I was raped as a kid, so someone calling me ‘groomer’ is incredibly upsetting. Even when it’s just stupid and offhanded and they’re trying to get my goat. It’s really upsetting and shouldn’t be allowed.

On 12/3/2022 at 3:47 PM, ErosWired said:

I will say this, with a certain degree of experience, an an Autistic person: Musk, as an Autistic person, has no business being the head of a social media juggernaut. Autistic people, by and large, don’t do ‘social’. It’s not our strong suit. Musk may, in fact, possibly be the sort of person to get a spaceship to Mars, but he’s never going to understand people at a fundamental level and he’s demonstrating his social ineptitude at every opportunity. Call me crazy (actually, never call an Autistic person crazy) but it seems to me that if you expect to be successful running a business selling honey, you really ought to understand bees.

I actually doubt that Musk is on the Spectrum - and the use of the term "Asperger's" is deeply horrifying seeing as where it originates. He's using his behaviour just to be an asshole.

If he is truly what he says he is, he should get his damn ass to someone whom can diagnose him correctly (he can afford it) before he fucks up other people's lives - and for him to claim he can "cure autism" begs belief - when every other single autistic person who I've met (I was given a "mild" diagnosis last year) KNOWS that it can't be "cured". This article says it better than what I can: [think before following links] https://slate.com/culture/2021/05/elon-musk-aspergers-snl-autism-spectrum.html

3 minutes ago, TaKinGDeePanal said:

and for him to claim he can "cure autism" begs belief

Indeed. But the general understanding that Autism isn’t a pathology that needs a cure is a relatively recent development, following on a history of movements in which people very publicly searched for a “cure” for their children. Musk apparently hasn’t gotten the most recent memo.

4 minutes ago, ErosWired said:

Indeed. But the general understanding that Autism isn’t a pathology that needs a cure is a relatively recent development, following on a history of movements in which people very publicly searched for a “cure” for their children. Musk apparently hasn’t gotten the most recent memo.

I think he has - but I think he immediately chose to rubbish it (but not as publicly or profanely as he dealt with those who said that his idea to save the teenagers in the flooded cave wouldn't work).

Did E.M really purchase the platform, or is he just the face behind something that the public are completely oblivious to? Rhetorical. One thing I have learned in recent years, do not believe anything you read, hear or see online as gospel. I wouldn't even trust a science paper these days. Anything can be skewed or manipulated in a world where there is so much deceit and very little if any truth. Anyone can say or write anything, doesn't mean it is true. Unless I was physically present and involved at any given situation then how can I have belief? I can't.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1