HIV infection odds for a cut total top after one single potential exposure?

tonio

3 hours ago, tonio said:

Guess us total tops aren't ready to ditch condoms and lube until at least 2030 and the vaccine promised by Bill Gates.

Ha- I think there are plenty of ‘total tops’ who might disagree with you on this one… that’s certainly been my experience, anyway.

And as far as any future vaccine is concerned, one thing we’ve all learned in recent years (what with COVID, monkeypox, etc.) is that no vaccine provides 100 percent protection. Truth is, I’d be surprised if they come up with one that is more effective at preventing HIV infection than is currently the case with PrEP, so no need to wait till 2030…

• Like 1

Lots of us will say the same thing (i.e. that the risk is extremely low although not zero), but you've received information/advice from a medical expert, so I'd recommend you listen to that first and foremost.

As for lubrication and condoms, if they're used properly they should provide protection, but you need to ensure they remain intact, don't slip off and continue to be lubricated. I always prefer water-based lube, simply because silicone can be messy and hard to wash off, but it remains slippery for much longer than water-based. 

I think it's a good question to ask, so I hope you can relax and enjoy whatever type of sex you decide upon.   

Why do you not just use PrEp like any normal person would, PrEp is basically a miracle drug it’s almost 100% affective if you take it daily and has zero side effects, if you don’t want to worry about making mistakes just take it, it also encourages you to test regularly and get checked every 3 months. 

21 hours ago, Spunkinmyarse said:

Ha- I think there are plenty of ‘total tops’ who might disagree with you on this one… that’s certainly been my experience, anyway.

And as far as any future vaccine is concerned, one thing we’ve all learned in recent years (what with COVID, monkeypox, etc.) is that no vaccine provides 100 percent protection. Truth is, I’d be surprised if they come up with one that is more effective at preventing HIV infection than is currently the case with PrEP, so no need to wait till 2030…

A vaccine, even if it's let's say, 90% effective, would be enough to reduce the risks from "very low" to "virtually impossible", at least for cut total tops.

Maybe for bottoms the risk would still be substantial (i.e from 3% risk, a vaccine would lower it to 0.3%), but for cut total tops the risk is already 0.11% only, so a vaccine would further reduce these odds to 0.01% or so, that is, ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO GET INFECTED.

In my book, a three-dose vaccine which lasts a lifetime (like the hepatitis B vaccine) is WAY BETTER than drugs that have to be taken everyday and are potentially harmful/toxic.

So no, I am not a fan of PrEP, nor I will be. I'll stick to water-based lubricants and skyn non-latex condoms, at least until a viable vaccine is released. 

Edited by tonio

16 hours ago, Mcv69 said:

Why do you not just use PrEp like any normal person would, PrEp is basically a miracle drug it’s almost 100% affective if you take it daily and has zero side effects, if you don’t want to worry about making mistakes just take it, it also encourages you to test regularly and get checked every 3 months. 

The problem with that is that if you take PrEP you automatically fall upon the "receptive anal sex" category, at least in the eyes of your doctor.

Plus, a cut total top who always uses lubricated condoms does not need to be tested every 3 months...

I have a general feeling that for this category of sexually active people, PrEP is overkill.

Edited by tonio

8 hours ago, tonio said:

The problem with that is that if you take PrEP you automatically fall upon the "receptive anal sex" category, at least in the eyes of your doctor.

Plus, a cut total top who always uses lubricated condoms does not need to be tested every 3 months...

I have a general feeling that for this category of sexually active people, PrEP is overkill.

That’s the biggest load of nonsense iv ever heard.

• Upvote 2

• Moderators
9 hours ago, tonio said:

In my book, a three-dose vaccine which lasts a lifetime (like the hepatitis B vaccine) is WAY BETTER than drugs that have to be taken everyday and are potentially harmful/toxic.

It certainly would be. But the drugs have a similar efficacy, and are AVAILABLE NOW, which a vaccine is not.

9 hours ago, tonio said:

A vaccine, even if it's let's say, 90% effective, would be enough to reduce the risks from "very low" to "virtually impossible", at least for cut total tops.

.a vaccine would further reduce these odds to 0.01% or so, that is, ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE TO GET INFECTED

There's a big difference between 0.01% per event and "almost impossible".  For example, your odds of dying in a natural disaster this year are well under 0.01% (unless you live in a small island off the coast of Florida). That may be negligible, but it's certainly not impossible. And the 0.01% is per event, so if you have a lot of sex, it does add up.

You're being quite sensible in seeking out the best information you can find on the risks. You have an approach that works for you. Excellent! You do you. Don't argue with the other people here who have a different assessment of the risks and benefits here. They're making decisions for themselves. And don't forget that if you're constantly worrying about HIV or other STDs, it will probably detract from your enjoyment of sex.

• Upvote 1

All if that sounds like you are worrying too much, as long as you use protection the way its meant to be used, you should be fine in most circumstances, but i have a question, why did you not use protection this time? I mean, sounds silly, but if you didn't use it this time, you will probably not use it again down the line

On 12/25/2022 at 9:57 AM, tonio said:

Thanks Austin. Well I would like to avoid taking medications, that's why I was asking if water-based lubricants + condoms were enough if you only top (100% of the time, NO exceptions) and you're circumcised. Is the risk to get HIV is marginal in these conditions? (like less than 1% in a 10-year period?). HIV is not the common cold, even if it is manageable you still have to take medications everyday. Maybe in 10 years... we'll see! Haha.

I don't give oral sex in the sense that I never let my face come into contact with blood/sexual fluids.

The only unprotected sex act is when I receive oral sex.

All of my risky hookups are sex workers (mostly TS sex workers but also women), and I have about 15-20 encounters per year, tops.

With oral sex chances of catching HIV is extremely low but there’s always a chance , a  perfect storm of  getting blown by someone who’s positive unbeknownst to them with a high viral load happens to have cut or open sore in the mouth breaks the skin on your dick while sucking you. Could possibly lead to you getting infected 

1 hour ago, vladkor said:

All if that sounds like you are worrying too much, as long as you use protection the way its meant to be used, you should be fine in most circumstances, but i have a question, why did you not use protection this time? I mean, sounds silly, but if you didn't use it this time, you will probably not use it again down the line

Simply because I did not carry condoms. Now I know that some sex workers don't always have condoms, and as a result I always carry at least 4/5 condoms plus a bottle of lube in my pocket. That bad experience made me become a real condom nazi. So no... I'll always use lubricated condoms from now on. 

28 minutes ago, analluv27 said:

With oral sex chances of catching HIV is extremely low but there’s always a chance , a  perfect storm of  getting blown by someone who’s positive unbeknownst to them with a high viral load happens to have cut or open sore in the mouth breaks the skin on your dick while sucking you. Could possibly lead to you getting infected 

There are simply NO documented cases of guys getting HIV after receiving a blowjob. It never happens. 

It seems like the only tangible risk with blowjobs is when someone gives a blowjob and the HIV+ guy cums in the HIV- mouth.

Edited by tonio

21 hours ago, viking8x6 said:

It certainly would be. But the drugs have a similar efficacy, and are AVAILABLE NOW, which a vaccine is not.

There's a big difference between 0.01% per event and "almost impossible".  For example, your odds of dying in a natural disaster this year are well under 0.01% (unless you live in a small island off the coast of Florida). That may be negligible, but it's certainly not impossible. And the 0.01% is per event, so if you have a lot of sex, it does add up.

You're being quite sensible in seeking out the best information you can find on the risks. You have an approach that works for you. Excellent! You do you. Don't argue with the other people here who have a different assessment of the risks and benefits here. They're making decisions for themselves. And don't forget that if you're constantly worrying about HIV or other STDs, it will probably detract from your enjoyment of sex.

Yeah I perfectly understand your point. Some people, especially barebackers, use PrEP in order to be protected and Im totally cool with it.

It's just that I humbly think that cut total tops can rely on lubricated condoms instead of using PrEP. This way, they'll be protected against HIV but also against syphilis.

Edited by tonio

21 minutes ago, tonio said:

There are simply NO documented cases of guys getting HIV after receiving a blowjob. It never happens. 

It seems like the only tangible risk with blowjobs is when someone gives a blowjob and the HIV+ guy cums in the HIV- mouth.

Hey you do you