What should gays do to stay politically "relevant"...?

harrysmith25

Uh, so I can't help worrying that us gays might be viewed as incredibly passé by the left, which is in control of the US presidency, and also dominates other parts of the western world in general politics and culture.

Aren't we just "old hat" to the lefties? Trannies are where it's at now. Everyone knows that: there's a million headlines about trannies, and 1 per week about us.

What happens if those in power just kind of forget about us cause we're so 2013 or 15 (at best) with our precious "gay marriage" and whatnot. Sure, Biden may have signed gay rights into federal law, but so what? Cranky old farts like him are fickle customers, they really are. Anyone who's spent time with the old know how they can be just as fickle as toddlers, change their minds like that.

What if tomorrow, Pete Buttigieg is talking with Biden and mentions his husband, and then suddenly Biden says "COME ONN, MAAAAAAN". Then we'd be finished, because as everyone knows "COME OOOON, MAAAAAAAAN" is the wittiest put-down in history, and Mark Twain himself could not have outbarbed our current heroic leader of the free world.

Should we start threatening a children's author, or would that just be unimpressive copycat behaviour?

Should we get our own version of JK Rowling, but who or what would that be? It's important to be threatening violence, or just being nasty. The culture of "liberals" today only appreciate you when you're being nasty, like how they tweet that they love the taste of "Republican tears". Lefties do not do it for "love of their fellow man" any more or "stand up for the little guy", those days are long gone. it's about "pwning" people and drinking their tears. right?

So what do we have to do to impress those bloodthirsty, nasty goons  that I just described. And also what can we do to please the ornery, borderline-senile old men they choose as their leaders.

Edited by harrysmith25
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, harrysmith25 said:

Uh, so I can't help worrying that us gays might be viewed as incredibly passé by the left, which is in control of the US presidency, and also dominates other parts of the western world in general politics and culture.

Aren't we just "old hat" to the lefties? Trannies are where it's at now. Everyone knows that: there's a million headlines about trannies, and 1 per week about us.

Anyone who uses the slur "trannies" to refer to transgender persons, in 2023, can safely be discounted as a bigoted nut. I'd almost expect you to be talking about "what the coloreds want". 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

@harrysmith25 a million headlines about transgender people?  Where are those statistics kept?

@BootmanLA it is certainly harrysmith25's right to use any reference he chooses.  And others may react however they will to his less than sensitive references.  If we ever hope to work ourselves off the wingtips of political discourse, we would to well to ignore the words and focus on what was said.  While Transgender individuals certainly are working as hard as us queers of the 70's to get themselves recognized; I suggest paying attention to local (city, county, state) legislative agenda.  Gay rights are definitely on the line here in Wisconsin.  Unless we stand back up again we're apt to see much of our progress the past 50 years roll back along with RVW.  

On 1/17/2023 at 3:04 AM, BootmanLA said:

Anyone who uses the slur "trannies" to refer to transgender persons, in 2023, can safely be discounted as a bigoted nut. I'd almost expect you to be talking about "what the coloreds want". 

Well of course I briefly suspected someone lame enough would try to use one word to avoid addressing the  (incredibly truthful) rest of my epic rant. 

No I don't say outdated names for black people, that's um.. your guy, that's your pitifully embarrassing hind-leg-walking tortoise of a "president" who does that.

Lemme guess you won't be labelling him any kind of 'insane bigot' or whatever? Yep, it's definitely just another day in our so-called new "sane" Trump free era  -  in which I have special rules thrown at me that only apply to me but not to people who are actually in charge of stuff.

And also, being laughably labelled a "nut" by someone who couldn't be any more insane, frothing-mouthed and filled with malice even if he was a rabies-afflicted chimp with chronic constipation

Edited by harrysmith25

@harrysmith25 - Had you simply focused on proposing your legitimate question as to how LGBT interests can remain vital and relevant in a shifting and polarized political climate, you might have found yourself taken mote seriously. As it is, you instead burdened your inquiry with hyperbole and a plethora of references and descriptions that betray strong political and social assumptions on your part.

In a single screed you manage to find a way to be offensive to people on the political left (‘lefties’), Trans persons (‘trannies’), senior citizens (‘fickle as toddlers’), and by inference anyone who supports the current President. In particular, calling those on the left ‘bloodthirsty, nasty goons’ and piling absurd insults onto Biden (‘ornery, borderline-senile’) make it crystal clear that your political philosophy is not that of a reasonable centrist, but rather that of an entrenched partisan on the right.

The most telling passage is where you suggest (and this appears to be the core of your argument) is that gay men need to find a target similar to JK Rowling to harrass in order to draw political attention - as though such negative tactics ever persuaded anyone if anything - any sensible person should reject that uncivil nonsense out-of-hand as nothing more than a furtherance of the trend toward collapse of civil public discourse. A trend aptly illustrated, by the way, by your over-the-top ad hominem attacks on anyone who challenges you - such tactics are the mark of someone with a limited capacity for rational debate.

This isn’t an interpretation; this is a textual analysis of what you yourself wrote. If you come across as an insensitive right-wing reactionary, you have only your own words to blame.

As @JimInWisc correctly notes, there are legitimate concerns for LGBT rights in many areas of the country, issues raised by the actions, or threatened actions not of the ‘lefties’, but of those on the political right. Your proposed solutions would only pour gasoline on a dumpster fire.

Edited by ErosWired
  • Upvote 6

I'm absolutely certain that emulating the Que, Que for Quoquo puffs right is going to make being gay more politically relevant or accepted. The only thing it has done for the MAGA is create even stronger resistance to their increasingly radical agenda. I lean pretty far lower case l libertarian, i.e. live and let live as long as you aren't harming others, but also believe that to really make that work you have to lead by good example.

Edited by NWUSHorny
  • Upvote 2

On 1/16/2023 at 10:04 PM, BootmanLA said:

I just say trans, but I have personally met trans ladies and other trans people who call themselves a tranny, she-male, "man" with a cunt, etc.

6 hours ago, TotalTop said:

I just say trans, but I have personally met trans ladies and other trans people who call themselves a tranny, she-male, "man" with a cunt, etc.

The British artist and activist Grayson Perry (now Sir Grayson Perry after his recent Knighthood) calls himself “a tranny potter”. I doubt anyone would call him bigoted. They would look rather foolish if they did. 

• Moderators

There is a difference between what a person calls themselves and asks/tells their friends to call them and terms getting bandied about on the Internet. 

I have had black friends who liked me to use the N-word in race play because it was their kink. That doesn't give me license to say that word anytime and anyplace to any audience. 

It's a simple difference that we all understand. You folks are being disingenuous. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

On 1/16/2023 at 7:36 PM, harrysmith25 said:

What happens if those in power just kind of forget about us cause we're so 2013 or 15 (at best) with our precious "gay marriage" and whatnot. Sure, Biden may have signed gay rights into federal law, but so what? Cranky old farts like him are fickle customers, they really are. Anyone who's spent time with the old know how they can be just as fickle as toddlers, change their minds like that.

What if tomorrow, Pete Buttigieg is talking with Biden and mentions his husband, and then suddenly Biden says "COME ONN, MAAAAAAN". Then we'd be finished, because as everyone knows "COME OOOON, MAAAAAAAAN" is the wittiest put-down in history, and Mark Twain himself could not have outbarbed our current heroic leader of the free world.

Should we start threatening a children's author, or would that just be unimpressive copycat behaviour?

Should we get our own version of JK Rowling, but who or what would that be? It's important to be threatening violence, or just being nasty. The culture of "liberals" today only appreciate you when you're being nasty, like how they tweet that they love the taste of "Republican tears". Lefties do not do it for "love of their fellow man" any more or "stand up for the little guy", those days are long gone. it's about "pwning" people and drinking their tears. right?

So what do we have to do to impress those bloodthirsty, nasty goons  that I just described. And also what can we do to please the ornery, borderline-senile old men they choose as their leaders.

I'll set aside your use of some... questionable terminology and address the question. But before it can be answered, what does it mean to be "politically relevant"? At the top of the headlines? Honestly, why would we want to be? Seeing stories about "the gays" diminish means we're... well, we're mainstream. And isn't that what we wanted in the first place, to not be a talking point? To not be a headline? We've still got some steps to go, to be sure, but for the most part... well, congrats, kiddos. We made it!

As far as needing our own JK? Don't we already have that in Milo Yann... Yanni... Yannop... Yannowhothefuckcares? 

Personally, I don't think we need to be "politically relevant", because that just means we're being weaponized by one side or the other. Or both, really.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PendragonSpirit said:

Don't we already have that in Milo Yann... Yanni... Yannop... Yannowhothefuckcares? 

Mi... -lo... that guy? Yeah... seriously?

Clearly here I'm talking to someone who's got their finger firmly on the pulse... of February 2015...

To answer your first question about "why should we be relevant", i was going to say something so that *dumb people* don't forget we exist. Cause they are more important than you think and they do vote.

But then... after your mentioning "Milo"..... talking about dumb people to you seems... weird and redundant

In case you can't tell my jaw is absolutely nailed to the floor here by the pitifulness of you bringing up fucking "Milo"... Milo...

Milo.. Yiannopolis

As father jack said......."Don't tell I'm still on that feckin' island" (In this case, not craggy island but Brit-tardistan)

Edited by harrysmith25

28 minutes ago, harrysmith25 said:

As father jack said......."Don't tell I'm still on that feckin' island" (In this case, not craggy island but Brit-tardistan)

Again, loud and clear with the racism, message received.

Why, for some reason, do I think you had an account on here before and came in with this same Islamophobic diatribe mess? I suppose there are probably more than one of you over there, but still, this sounds so familiar.