what are the risks of Hepatitis for the top during unprotected anal sex?

last week i made a REALLY stupid decision that i should have never done.

I barebacked a guy i didnt know so well, only to find out after that he was quite promiscious -_- so far i dont have any symptoms, but i am on PEP right now... but he knew that i was worried after so he got tested for hiv a day later & that came back negative for him, but im still taking the PEP anyway...

BUT THEN HE ENDED UP DROPPING ANOTHER BOMBSHELL ON ME... 

later on he mentioned to me that he "use" to have hepitatis but he had "gotten rid of it"...

I understand that hepitatis can be passed on through anal sex. but how likely is it for the Top to catch hepitatis? i did come in contact with quite a bit of his rectal fluids (he didn't clean out very well either). and how soon should I be tested for it?

ALSO isn't hepitatis a permanent disease? does it ever go away? 

After this expirence, I will fully commit myself to NEVER barebacking again & will just stick to being sucked off instead... 

8 hours ago, ANastyMind said:

last week i made a REALLY stupid decision that i should have never done.

I barebacked a guy i didnt know so well, only to find out after that he was quite promiscious -_- so far i dont have any symptoms, but i am on PEP right now... but he knew that i was worried after so he got tested for hiv a day later & that came back negative for him, but im still taking the PEP anyway...

BUT THEN HE ENDED UP DROPPING ANOTHER BOMBSHELL ON ME... 

later on he mentioned to me that he "use" to have hepitatis but he had "gotten rid of it"...

I understand that hepitatis can be passed on through anal sex. but how likely is it for the Top to catch hepitatis? i did come in contact with quite a bit of his rectal fluids (he didn't clean out very well either). and how soon should I be tested for it?

ALSO isn't hepitatis a permanent disease? does it ever go away? 

After this expirence, I will fully commit myself to NEVER barebacking again & will just stick to being sucked off instead... 

1. Hepatitis is a disease involving inflammation of the liver that comes in multiple forms, the most common/widespread of which are Hepatitis A, Hepatitis B, and Hepatitis C (each of which is caused by a different virus). Which type he has/had had a lot of bearing on your risk.

Hepatitis A is spread through the stools (ie poop) of an infected person. As such, coming into contact with his stools, IF he had hepatitis A, would put you at risk (though that is not the same thing as "infecting you"). There is no treatment for Hepatitis A, but once you've had it, you can't get it again (generally speaking).

Hepatitis B is spread through bodily fluids - primarily blood, although other bodily fluids can contain the virus as well. Because this virus is spread through fluid contact, it's much harder for a top to contract it from anal sex unless the bottom bleeds while being fucked. There is no effective treatment for Hepatitis B, but it can be managed if it becomes a chronic disease.

Hepatitis C is also spread through bodily fluids. However, it is much more serious than Hepatitis B. There is a cure for Hepatitis C, but it's expensive and requires a long regimen of oral medication.

2. There are vaccines available to PREVENT Hep-A/Hep-B infections. There is no vaccine for Hep-C, but it is much more rarely spread through sex.

3. You mention getting PEP. It's certainly your choice whether to bareback or not - or to restrict yourself to oral sex. That said, if you get vaccinated for Hep-A/Hep-B (assuming you did not contract them this time), you will be protected from that. You should also look into the HPV vaccine. With those, and with PrEP, you should be protected against most of the viral STIs.

4. The bacterial ones (syphilis, gonorrhea) are harder to prevent (although there is some work being done with antibiotic PEP (taking antibiotics after sex to ward off infection). 

It's true that only you can determine what level of risk you're willing to take, sexually. But I will note that it's not as easy as it sounds to avoid fucking - the desire will still be there. Unless you have a will of iron, you're better off taking reasonable steps to protect yourself instead.

5. Lastly, I'll note: sticking to "guys you know well" is no guarantee of anything. First, you can't really know who all they may be fucking when you're not around. They may travel and engage in a lot more risky sex while there, or they may "entertain" someone else who has an STI of some sort (even without either of them knowing it) and thus share it around your group of "guys you know well." Closed loops of sexual activity are seldom truly closed.

• Upvote 1

Great summation BootmanLA.

I have had both Hep A and C over the years.. the Hep A came via contaminated shellfish.. and cleared after 3 weeks - no fatty foods or alcohol.

The Hep C was contracted during a major overseas sex holiday (probably at Folsom in Berlin). Fortunately it was one of the weaker versions and it cleared spontaneously after two months. Frequent blood tests over the past 7 years have all came back negative. 

In short all gay guys who are going to be fuck-ing should be inoculated against both Hep A & B.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2