PREP - Protecion after how long ?

Took a Prep holiday to see if side effects were TRuvada-related, there are not. Went back to Sexual Health clinic, saw one of the doctors there. He said that I should have a good level of protection after just 3 days of PREP.

That seems low, on the forums here it seems that consensus is 7 days. I know I could wait 7 days, but I've had no sex for a month. This Sunday would be day 4 of me being back on PREP - Long enough ?

Depends on your metabolism. I've found that the side effects of therapeutic ARV goes after about three weeks, but as we seem to be seeing HIV- and HIV+ guys process the drug differently. If you've gone a month, those extra few days to be certain aren't going to kill you...

Last November the Impulse Group hosted a roundtable discussion called "

." In the
section Dr. David Hardy of UCLA's David Geffen School of Medicine said a minimum of two days. Based on that comment, your doctor's advice of three days is not out of line.

On page four of the Important_Safety_Information_for_Uninfected_Individuals.pdf pamphlet from Gilead, it says "You may have to take TRUVADA for a few days before there is enough in your blood for it to help decrease your chance of getting HIV-1."

The standard recommendation I've seen is seven. A friend who just started PrEP was instructed that he needed an absolutely wacko 28 days.

Edited by Poz1956