post election levity and comfort..

Guest PozGoat

Guest PozGoat

(mods, I know there is a political forum but please allow, can this thread to stay for 24 hours? The political forum isnt getting much attention right now. I'm writing this thread to hopefully help cheer up our fellow gay/bi men if they are suffering depression etc following the recent election. It'll get more exposure in the general forum. Again move it if you must but can you let it stay for 1 day so that guys will read it.)

First, I am not a Trump supporter. However, I'll give him a chance in the spirit of peace. He won the election, I'll live and move on.

I've researched Trump going back 30 years. To me, he is a fascinating individual that sprung my curiosity some 30 years ago. In the late 1980's he made an appearance on "The Montel Williams Show" where he discussed his recent 6 Billion Dollar bankruptcy. Since that day, whenever a Trump related article made the news, I listened. A 6 Billion dollar(1990 dollars) bankruptcy is eye and ear-popping. So I've been a fly on the wall with Trump for a long time. Trump has a long history of using influence to coerce local politicians to land-grab/eminent domain, steal land for his Trump properties.

He's a cut throat capitalist in that regard and to me, he reeks of political corruption.

But what does Trump mean for the LGBT community?

I've long observed Trump and have almost always gotten the sense that Trump is actually quite gay-friendly. How have I come to that conclusion?

Many very affluent gay people have long been Trump tower tenants/renters/condo owners. Trump actually comes off as rather gay-friendly, and AGAIN, I am not a Trump supporter. I did NOT vote for him. But as a gay man, I'm not worried about him and gay rights. Trump seems moderate-progressive on gay issues and even seemed to try bring gays into the fold during his RNC party nomination acceptance speech.

His VP, Mike Pence on the other hand, is a homophobe of the highest order. Mike Pence is a homophobic bigot, pure and simple.

I'm hoping gay rights and the struggle for LGBT progress won't completely regress under Trump, but I don't think he will help matters, either.

The point of all of this, let's not fall into a deep depression over this. Let's get on with our lives and continue to march forward and thrive.

Stay positive(in every sense!). Many of Trumps customers are gay. If we stay in his ear, I believe he will listen to us. Pence scares me on the other hand, but fuck him. He is only VP for now.