Am I an old creeper? Honest opinions please.

negativenuance

I am searching for an old, old friend, and hope that the members of this list can be of service. My understanding is that many of the gentlemen here also remember "the gold old days" - the 80s and 90s - and might be able to help me out. 

My (real) name is Jack. I am in my late fifties and have been a resident of the West End in Vancouver since June 1982. I moved to the apartment I'm still living in (at Denman and Comox) that year. I was a young man then. Now, I have less going on. Throughout the 90s, I worked at a travel agency (now long gone) on Davie Street. I've worked at the Safeway in the Village for the last several years. I'm based in Vancouver. 

In the summer of 1992, I turned 33 and tried to begin to seriously meet men. I placed a couple of ads in the print gay newspapers of the time. Back in those days, you would correspond through those ads, and share photos back and forth before agreeing to move to the telephone and then, maybe, meeting in one of the local bars on the Davie strip and seeing what happened. Not too unlike what happens nowadays, I guess. 

In December of 1992, I had a response from a young man, Brad Wong, of Calgary. He was 21. He responded to my ad. We spoke on the phone, and agreed to meet in a couple of days in Vancouver, where he would spend a weekend with me. On December 20th, he arrived in Vancouver; we met at the Sylvia Hotel's lobby, lit in warm circle of yellow light, and walked to my place. I carried his luggage for him. It was a warm, damp night.

Brad and I spent the weekend together. We went to the local clubs, we shared chrysanthemum tea, we talked of books and travel and desire. We cooked for one another. We connected sexually more than once. His last night here, we shared a salad of butter lettuce, herbal wine, foil-wrapped salmon and potatoes, enveloped in candlelight. Looking at him in that light, I was taken with Brad's beauty. His golden skin, his dark eyes and sleek hair haunted me. I asked him if he loved me, and he could not answer. For one weekend, though, we were joined, and the Davie Village was our place. 

When it came time to bid Brad farewell at the bus depot, he didn't offer his phone number, and I didn't ask. I know he was heading back to university in Calgary, and to a closeted life. We never connected or spoke again, but the experience continues to haunt me. 

What Brad doesn't know is that I recorded some of our time together on VHS, and that, even to this day, I often watch the dim and greying footage on dark and lonely nights by myself, in the very same easy chair, living room and apartment that Brad himself spent time in so many years ago. (I still have the sheets we used, too). 

Men have long stopped responding to the ads I run, but my memories remain. 

I see so many guys on here, posting and seeking all kinds of things. I am past the point in my life where I can realistically compete for sex or intimacy. But I do have my memories of what has been. 

I'm looking for anyone else who might remember Brad Wong, who spent some time in Vancouver in late December 1992, in the West End? Or anyone in Calgary who might know what became of him? He would be in his late forties by now. He was studying to be an engineer. 

If anyone knows how to reach him, I would be appreciative. I'm also interested in hearing from other guys with stories like this, and who remember that era in general. 

And, Brad, if you in some insane chance see this, know that I haven't forgotten our weekend together. xoxox