Telephone hook up boards v. Online

funtime42013

I never did the phone hook up boards much: in the UK they tended to use £1/min premium rate numbers and had looooong messages you had to listen to in order to maximise profits...  What I did have success with was newspaper small ads, especially in the free papers. Craigslist, but in print. Also ads on Teletext (for those not in the uk, teletext was a free videotext service broadcast on tv channels) yielded some interesting meets. There used to be fetish clubs you subscribed to and they sent printed news letters in the post with personal ads and member lists in the back with phone numbers. In the early days of dial-up internet, IRC text based chat was very popular as well as email mailing lists. That was a really good community, and the two main UK channels, used to have regular events and meet-ups. When it became mainstream it began to become the cyber wasteland you describe... 

3 hours ago, AirmaxAndy said:

I never did the phone hook up boards much: in the UK they tended to use £1/min premium rate numbers and had looooong messages you had to listen to in order to maximise profits...  What I did have success with was newspaper small ads, especially in the free papers. Craigslist, but in print. Also ads on Teletext (for those not in the uk, teletext was a free videotext service broadcast on tv channels) yielded some interesting meets. There used to be fetish clubs you subscribed to and they sent printed news letters in the post with personal ads and member lists in the back with phone numbers. In the early days of dial-up internet, IRC text based chat was very popular as well as email mailing lists. That was a really good community, and the two main UK channels, used to have regular events and meet-ups. When it became mainstream it began to become the cyber wasteland you describe... 

There was actually a few in NYC that were free.  One was called the number where you could leave a free message complete with a contact number.  To actually chat live  or to answer an ad was a small fee.  I would just leave a message with my beeper number and would receive calls within minutes. Guys would actually leave their phone numbers and were actually able and willing to host.  Nothing at all like the fuss pots and scaredy cats of today. No one even demanded a face pic back then. 

4 hours ago, AirmaxAndy said:

£1/min and so not worth it...😂

I had one interesting encounter on the phones with a guy in Greenwich. He liked a blow job and insisted on paying £80 a time, even though I wasn’t rent. He wouldn’t take no for an answer. I felt a bit awkward at accepting. Got a nice pair of trainers out of it, mind.