[Bare Sqwhirl] It's Ok To Tell

Feeder

Click here to see Bare Sqwhirl's original blog post...

0001 20Sep2011 Secure From DADT.

On 20 September the US government repealed ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ (DADT) – the policy, signed into US law by President Clinton in 1993, that said it was okay to be gay but not to be honest about it. As of the moment DADT was lifted, a raft of legal cases and charges were dismissed, and recruitment applications from openly gay civilians started to be processed. As a veteran of the US Navy and being Gay I wish they had done this sooner I may have changed my mind and stayed in.

Copy+of+Rob22a.jpgThis is what a Gay Sailor looks like, yes it's Me.

The repugnics say that we need to save money and cut deficit the repeal of this inept policy will do just that. In 2005 a GAO study that put the cost of the first decade of “don’t ask, don’t tell” at $190.1 million. More than 13,000 service members have been discharged for violating the military’s ban on openly gay and lesbian troops since 1993, according to GAO. The reports note 2,215 of those men and women held “critical” roles in the service branches, including voice interceptors, data processing technicians, translators and special security forces.

In my estimation this policy cost us the taxpayers $3.421 BILLION dollars over the 18 years of this policy not including adjustment for inflation. Why did it cost so much? To train each of those servicemembers it's around $150,000.00 per trooper/Sailor/marine/airman when you figure in all the cost's of training, drill instructors, schools and pay for all involved. Of course this will vary depending what job that service member is expected to fill.

DSC_0867.JPGThis is what a Gay Sailor looks like, yes it's Me.The cost of graduating one officer, likely specializing in science and engineering, from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point was $340,000. But let’s say that officer likes to fly. Put him in a $19 million F-16 fighter. Because a person is different we trained them and then discharged them and had to train a new replacement. This does not take into account how if effected the unit that was now short one person and the skills they possessed.

This also does not take into account the additional stress a servicemember was under because of their secret. If they were having troubles at home they had no resource that they could use through traditional channels. If something were to happen to him or her their partner would not be notified or given support. If there was something to celebrate at home they could not share it with the mates at the command. If the command was having a party, function or they were given a promotion couldn't incude their partner, they were alone in that respect of their lives and career.

Now be on guard because two of the repugnic candidates and biblethumpers Governor Rick Perry and Representative Michelle (Crazy Bitch) Bachmann have openly stated that they would turn back the clock and reverse the DADT repeal if they get elected as President. Something to think about and one more reason they should not elected.

nodu246dego@post.wordpress.comemail]

More...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use, Privacy Policy, and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.