Did you ever get "The Look"

Guest Bunburryist

Guest Bunburryist

I was out this afternoon, talking with a friend. I'm still not sure how the topic came up but he asked me about bbrt. He mentioned a fuck buddy used it. He then asked me when was I going to tell him about being poz, and that he was hurt I didn't tell him. We discussed it. Then "The Look" descended. The one of pity. The one that says "you poor thing, your going to die soon" The one that says "there goes your sex life."

My reaction was initially anger. At his condescension, and probably at myself for being so taken aback at him. My final words on the matter were that since I've been diagnosed HIV+ I've never felt so alive, and had many more offers of sex than before diagnosis. Both true bTW

Has anyone else encountered "The Look", and what was your reacton to it??

It's probably not much different from 'the look' I get over being a smoker, or the look I give to people who can't survive without a car to get to the corner store, or the look people get for having a diet that puts them at risk for diabetes or heart disease.

People like to think that their way of life is better than other's. People do not like to be challenged when their source of enjoyment or safety is criticized by others. Gun control, marriage equality, etc...

Best you can do is to either let it pass and stay true to your desires, or say something that shares your views and hope you make an impact.