Prep In Uk

Letsdothis

is it possible to get PrEP in the uk?

ive been on PEP twice now, and am basically now not having the sex I want due to the fear of becoming POZ.   PrEP obviously looks like a good option, but although ive seen profiles on BBRT with neg + prep on I don't understand how as it seems to be unavailable?   any UK guys here on PrEP how did you get it?

When I went to hospital for HIV test they asked about my sexual history took test they arranged with go for me to get prep as I'm high risk,whilst waiting weeks for results the prep medication made me violently sick and gp think it lowered by CD count anyway after then got results HIV negative my gp stopped prep with me and I became better and CD count went off the chart meaning HIV negative,so to top it all the doctors won't give prep unless your in the high risk group but is down to the doctors with their decisions.

PrEP is NOT currently available in the UK as it's still in trial: the Proud study is hoping for funding to recruit another 2,000 gay men. http://www.proud.mrc.ac.uk/ . There are about 500 gay men currently on the trial (pointless in my view as the USA have already done the groundwork, love you guys!) Keep an eye on the PROUD webpage for more information, because that's where it's going to appear first.

Blonde607, sorry you had such a negative experience with PrEP - sure it wasn't PEP (post exposure prophylaxis which involves extra drugs and can be nasty) you had? I'm afraid a high CD4 count has nothing to do with HIV exposure or infection: I know people with four figure CD4 counts who are HIV+.

For neither love nor money can you get PrEP in the UK right now without being part of the PROUD trial or having a doctor prepared to write some very dodgy off-label prescriptions.