Antidepressants, Anti Anxiety And Prep

sinfuljock

Does anyone know if PrEP effects the absorbtion/effectiveness of antidepressants or anti anxiety meds?

I've been on PrEP now for about four months, and on an antidepressant (Celexa) for about a year and also an anti anxiety med (Buspar) for about ten months. Lately I feel like they are not working as well. As in some days I don't feel like getting out of bed and I've had a few panic attacks also.

I have a doctor appointment next week but am somewhat concerned that I'm going to have to try different combinations/dosages to find something that works for me again (was quite a process to find this combination) so am curious if PrEP is know to throw these kinds of meds off?

Celexa is an SSRI antidepressant and there are seveal different ones in that category:

BRAND NAME GENERIC NAME Celexa citalopram hydrobromide Lexapro escitalopram oxalate Luvox fluvoxamine maleate Paxil paroxetine hydrochloride Prozac fluoxetine hydrochloride Zoloft sertraline hydrochloride

I had to try a few before finding one that worked.  For me Paxil has sexaul side effects, Celexa was ok but when I went on Prozac it worked best took away that not wanting to get out of bed mood.  So you might want to consider trying one of the others out you can usually just switch without a ramp down since they are the same class of drugs.

I was on Buspar about 10 yrs ago but it make me feel weird so I stopped taking it.  When I would drink alcohol it was even worse.

Edited by seaguy

I've tried Celexa (what I'm on now and has had the least side affects for me), Zoloft, Prozac, and Paxil (lots of side effects for me) as well as Cymbalta which is a SNRI. I have appointment with psychiatrist next week so hopefully she can get meds adjusted.