Mentally Stucked Since Taking Prep

ensign

Hello guys,

I am living in a country where Truvada as PrEP is not available. But this january I managed to get the Truvada generic Tenvir EM which I bought in India. (It is not even possible to ship Tenvir EM from alldaychemist to my country, customs will block the delivery)

I found a physician for HIV who agreed to accompany me, so we did the initial tests and when they came out fine I started to take the pills.

After six days when I was nearby I asked him to make a check of the blood levels for tenofovir. Three weeks later the results came back and they were negative. It said there was no tenofovir in my blood. I have to say it was a little shock.

My doctor suggested to take a second test and to check one of the pills. And now they both came back and were both totally fine. I had a high level of tenofovir in my blood (I continued the medication meanwhile) and the pill contained everything it should.

So now I am very insecure about how to deal with this situation. It is likely that the first test results were false (maybe it was still to early to find something in the blood, maybe the blood sample took to long until it was checked, maybe the laboratory did a mistake). It may also be likely that I got a fake medication in India (even though both times I took the test were from the same package and I couldn't find a single report about a fake HIV medication in India).

So now it is 2:1, I keep on taking the pills but I can't really trust in the efficacy of my PrEP. And now since the first infection under PrEP showed up my doubts got worse. But somehow I don't want to go back to be a full time condom follower - it feels like living my life behind a wall by denying my sexual wishes. That was something I strongly hoped to leave behind me by taking the PrEP. Wrapped sex has lost its magic for me, but I can't really let go of my fear.

So now when I'm horny I don't want so step back, but I can't really take the step forward.

Does anyone know this kind of feeling of being stucked? And how did you deal with it?

I live in Germany. So medical care is very good.

That's why I might be also hesitating in joining facebook - you know the Germans like to be naked in the Sauna, but not on the internet. ;)

But thank you for your answers - I'll think about joining facebook. :)

From the research and reading that I did when considering the Truvada and Tenvir-EM, the recommendations are to be on it from a full seven (7) days to two (2) weeks before testing and evaluating the blood levels for the medication. You just may have jumped the gun a bit with the initial test before the levels in your blood reached high enough. Do a few subsequent tests at regular intervals to make sure though. One of the reasons fro the 7- 14 days waiting is that all individuals are different to how they react and or accept the meds and the time it takes to saturate the blood stream for protection, etc.