Steamworks In Chicago Has A Pretty Strict Entry Policy And I'm Glad..

PozSlime

after the recent tragedy in Orlando. Most gay clubs have some kind of door security staff but not all. I know it can be expensive to have a security staff and many gay clubs are struggling nowadays..

I just wanted to write this op about the measures that SW in Chi goes to when member check in. They're quite strict about who they let in. No obvious drunks etc.

They will kick anyone out at the door that even looks the most remotely suspicious. They work behind a thick steel and glass protected entry desk. That is where members enter, or can be denied and kicked out.

I've seen SW staff kick many people out at this entry desk. They control the door into the main club from behind the desk.

IOW, Steamworks goes to great lengths to ensure the safety of its members. I've always appreciated that they are kinda strict at the doorway, almost everyone that gets denied at the door likely deserves it.

SW feels like a very safe place in part because of their strict door entry.

After the horrible tragedy at Pulse in Orlando, it really made me think about the possibility of that happening anywhere else, like the bars and baths that I go to here in Chi or whereever the clubs are that you may go to.

Do all gay clubs have to tighten their door security now since the tragedy?  I try to remain sympathetic to these gay club owners, securing the place isn't always an easy or affordable task but there has to be a solution.

Do the clubs you go to feel safe? What can gay clubs do to better their security? I think the gay community needs a good dialogue on this.

• Upvote 1

During Gran Canaria pride Zoo bar didn't hold their usual Mask party due to fear of Terrorist attack as they didn't want guys to not show their faces. It seemed ridiculous to me at the time as it's a Naked/Underwear bar but I appreciate their caution now after yesterday. Guys sometimes would show up with their masks on so nothing to stop an unknown assailant walking in armed and shooting the place up and getting away without their face being caught on camera.

It's not right we we have to change things to keep ourselves safe, but I accept that now it's probably necessary.

• 3 weeks later...

Obviously safety is important.  But being out in public is being out in public and there are always risks and business operators are not necessarily the right people to be trying to distinguish who might be a true, serious risk to their customers - even the so-called police and terrorism experts are unable to prevent bad things from happening. 

Also, I always worry that "security" measures at gay locales can very easily be a cover for, or evolve into,  racist, ageist, look-ist discriminatory door policies. For instance, being "an obvious drunk" is a standard that is often very much in the eye of the beholder...I think it's fair to guess that in many cases a 23 year old white frat boy and a 45 year old balding Asian chub, both with the exact same blood alcohol level, may find themselves treated very differently by the door staff at a place that has started to pick and choose its potential customers for "security reasons." (And, for that matter, while some drunk guys can be a pain to deal with do they really represent "security" risks?) At 2:30 am on Sunday morning after the bars have closed, it's probably fair to assume that at least 2/3 of your customers are showing up after a night of drinking.  Besides, over the years, I've had some fun times (including at Steamworks) with men who were not in the most sober state of mind. 

While we all want to feel safe where we play, we need to understand that when we are out in public -- whether physically on the street or in a bath or in a sex club, or electronically in a chat room or a hook up site -- that we are in a riskier place than if we were staying home reading a book and that the responsibility for taking care lies primarily with ourselves -- not with the business operators and service provides we are patronizing.