Using Pep as protection?

Btmboy92

Hey guys. I know this a fucking stupid question and I should just be on prep, but I’ve not been sexually actively the past few months after a knee operation. I will get back on it, I just can’t get a prescription before next week. 

my question is, I’ve got a trip next week and I know of a club there and I am Craving a good cum dump session. Would I, hypothetically, be able to get a course of Pep, as protection from HIV?  Or am I better to just leave my urges for the time being?

1 hour ago, Btmboy92 said:

Hey guys. I know this a fucking stupid question and I should just be on prep, but I’ve not been sexually actively the past few months after a knee operation. I will get back on it, I just can’t get a prescription before next week. 

my question is, I’ve got a trip next week and I know of a club there and I am Craving a good cum dump session. Would I, hypothetically, be able to get a course of Pep, as protection from HIV?  Or am I better to just leave my urges for the time being?

I recognize the tight spot you find yourself in. So a little background (maybe more than you want) and then recommendations.

In order to go on PrEP, you have to be confirmed to be HIV-negative. They also will test you for other STI's and make sure you are being treated for them. Most doctors are not going to start you on PrEP without that confirmation, because taking PrEP when you're already HIV-positive (even if you don't know it) can lead to your strain of HIV becoming resistant to the drug(s) in your PrEP prescription. Many HIV treatments use the same ingredients as are in PrEP *in addition to* other ingredients that make it capable of treating, as opposed to just preventing, an HIV infection.

That said - you say you were looking to "get back on" PrEP. If you had a previous prescription, it MIGHT be possible for the doctor to refill it before your trip, if it hasn't been too long since your last set of tests. It's worth asking about. But bear in mind that it takes several days from the time you start daily PrEP before it becomes completely effective. You could, however, try the "on demand" method for this trip - 2 tablets, taken at least 2 but no more than 24 hours before you have sex, then one tablet each day for two days, at 24 hours and 48 hours after the first "double" dose. In other words, take the medication as close as possible to the same time as the first dose, on the two days after the first. It wouldn't hurt to keep taking it a few more days after the first two, just to be sure, just as you would for daily use.

For this option, I can't recommend this, obviously, but there is the option of borrowing the necessary 4-6 tablets from someone you know who's also on PrEP, replacing them with yours once you get them. Or if you know someone who's built up a surplus - from missed doses here or there, or early refills - then they might be willing to share them. That's technically illegal (hence why it can't be recommended) but there's no reason it wouldn't work if used correctly.

There is the option of PEP - which stands for "POST Exposure Prophylaxis" - it's used as emergency treatment after a potential HIV exposure. But it generally needs to be started very soon after exposure - ideally within a couple of hours, and absolutely no more than 72 hours later - and it's more likely to be effective if taken VERY soon after exposure. Not sure what the success rate is at, say, 48 hours as opposed to 2 hours, but I believe it's a significantly less effective option then. If you're going to visit this club on a Friday night and will be home by Saturday evening, you could hit your ER or Urgent Care as soon as you're back and *probably* be safe. I wouldn't count on being able to find PEP while you're on your trip because you don't know what options there might be.

Ultimately, you might have to choose between running the risk of infection (because you can't get PrEP and won't be back in time to get PEP afterward) and not going to this session. Tough decision but one only you can make.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BootmanLA said:

I recognize the tight spot you find yourself in. So a little background (maybe more than you want) and then recommendations.

In order to go on PrEP, you have to be confirmed to be HIV-negative. They also will test you for other STI's and make sure you are being treated for them. Most doctors are not going to start you on PrEP without that confirmation, because taking PrEP when you're already HIV-positive (even if you don't know it) can lead to your strain of HIV becoming resistant to the drug(s) in your PrEP prescription. Many HIV treatments use the same ingredients as are in PrEP *in addition to* other ingredients that make it capable of treating, as opposed to just preventing, an HIV infection.

That said - you say you were looking to "get back on" PrEP. If you had a previous prescription, it MIGHT be possible for the doctor to refill it before your trip, if it hasn't been too long since your last set of tests. It's worth asking about. But bear in mind that it takes several days from the time you start daily PrEP before it becomes completely effective. You could, however, try the "on demand" method for this trip - 2 tablets, taken at least 2 but no more than 24 hours before you have sex, then one tablet each day for two days, at 24 hours and 48 hours after the first "double" dose. In other words, take the medication as close as possible to the same time as the first dose, on the two days after the first. It wouldn't hurt to keep taking it a few more days after the first two, just to be sure, just as you would for daily use.

For this option, I can't recommend this, obviously, but there is the option of borrowing the necessary 4-6 tablets from someone you know who's also on PrEP, replacing them with yours once you get them. Or if you know someone who's built up a surplus - from missed doses here or there, or early refills - then they might be willing to share them. That's technically illegal (hence why it can't be recommended) but there's no reason it wouldn't work if used correctly.

There is the option of PEP - which stands for "POST Exposure Prophylaxis" - it's used as emergency treatment after a potential HIV exposure. But it generally needs to be started very soon after exposure - ideally within a couple of hours, and absolutely no more than 72 hours later - and it's more likely to be effective if taken VERY soon after exposure. Not sure what the success rate is at, say, 48 hours as opposed to 2 hours, but I believe it's a significantly less effective option then. If you're going to visit this club on a Friday night and will be home by Saturday evening, you could hit your ER or Urgent Care as soon as you're back and *probably* be safe. I wouldn't count on being able to find PEP while you're on your trip because you don't know what options there might be.

Ultimately, you might have to choose between running the risk of infection (because you can't get PrEP and won't be back in time to get PEP afterward) and not going to this session. Tough decision but one only you can make.

Thanks for the reply.

I was using the on demand method prior. I’ve not bothered to renew my script, since I was out of action for a while after an injury, awaiting surgery. I’ve had the surgery and am back to full capacity now and have been sprung with a short notice work trip. I know I’m still negative as I’ve had no sexual partners since my last dosage. 

I know I can get pep where I’m going. The gay community is quite large. I just don’t know if I want to risk being a true cum dumpster, while not on prep. 

I’m probably overthinking all of this, and should just keep my pants on. 

12 minutes ago, Btmboy92 said:

Thanks for the reply.

I was using the on demand method prior. I’ve not bothered to renew my script, since I was out of action for a while after an injury, awaiting surgery. I’ve had the surgery and am back to full capacity now and have been sprung with a short notice work trip. I know I’m still negative as I’ve had no sexual partners since my last dosage. 

I know I can get pep where I’m going. The gay community is quite large. I just don’t know if I want to risk being a true cum dumpster, while not on prep. 

I’m probably overthinking all of this, and should just keep my pants on. 

You could be. But assuming you trust PEP and could get it fairly soon after an exposure, I don't know of any reason why it would be significantly less effective after a cumdump experience (where you took, say, 5 to 10 loads) than it would be just after one load.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1