What are you favourite Koran quotes?

Cumlaut2

9 hours ago, funpozbottom said:

I think that calls for another glass of Jameson!

I read the Koran. Can't remember any of it.  Also read the Bible, Upanishads, teaching of the Buddha, Confucius, Chang Tzu, and more. Can't remember them either. For true insight, I recommend the writings of Dorothy Parker, Samuel Clemons, Groucho Marx, and Ben Franklin. But I think the best religious quote I know is one of my own:  "Anything that needs to be interpreted from the Divine, can be manipulated by men."

I'm out of Jameson. My mooching neighbor finished it off along with a couple of my cigars. To be fair, I do get quite a bit of help out of him on various projects so I don't begrudge him (too much) a drink and cigar. I did however, invest in a jug of Courvoisier VSOP this morning and had a taste or three of that earlier.

I haven't read many religious screeds but did enjoy the Bhagavad Gita which I believe is included in the Upanishads. Also read some stuff by an Indian who wrote, I think, under the name of Aurobindo in which he made the case that we are not only evolving biologically but also into higher states of consciousness. That recalled to me an obscure little book written by an Englishman in 1900 or 1901 in which he said much the same thing. I think it was "Cosmic Consciousness" by one Richard Buck, or Bucke. Yes, even ol' Mark Twain tackled religion in some of his short stories, mostly to make fun of it. He did write one entitled "The Mysterious Stranger" which was a serious and bizarre piece of writing that seems totally out of character for someone who wrote about Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn. It was basically a book about the Matrix well over a century  before anyone had ever heard about the Matrix. Of course Mr. Clemens also enjoyed a nice glass of bourbon and a good cigar which might explain "The Mysterious Stranger."

I like your quote from you.

• Moderators
On 4/8/2024 at 4:09 PM, norefusal said:

i do however live a very white life in a very white country that is very segregated. 

unfortunately, i'm also attracted to men of color (and often, them to me).

On 4/9/2024 at 8:59 PM, topblkmale said:

Was this a typo and you perhaps meant very white county that is very segregated in the US?

3 hours ago, norefusal said:

lol if you want to believe the USA is one big melting-pot love-fest where the average person's dinner party looks like a Beneton ad, knock yourself out. but statistics don't lie.

@norefusal - I believe @topblkmale actually was trying to clarify whether your first post (quoted above) was referring to a COUNTY (in a US state) as rather than a COUNTRY (elsewhere in the world), the latter having been the way I also first read it. It was not a question about the segregation (which is a very real thing for much of the US, especially the large part of it more than 100 miles from the coast).