Updated HIV Statuses

rawTOP

• Administrators
I don't disagree with it, but it's like admitting you are poz when you say DADT.

Funny, people on BBRT (which uses "Ask Me") say "Ask Me" = poz.

In contrast, DADT = "I don't want to talk about it" or "It's none of your business". It's not saying anything about whether your poz or neg.

That said, "assume everyone is poz" is a good mantra when it comes to bareback sex. The fact that "Ask Me" or DADT may be interpreted as poz is not a bad thing.

I just find the whole thing rude and it's not any websites business what my neg or poz HIV status is, unless is it a site specifically for Poz issues.

Given the discussion on this site, HIV status is very relevant.

How bout "ask me in person when we are gonna hook up for a fuck"...as a status.

Because no one ever does. If you want to state your status you can either be up front about it or mention it privately. "Ask Me" puts a false veneer on the issue, and if there's one thing I don't like is false veneers.

Again, just my personal opinion: Saying that it is normal not to talk about HIV, is a sad thing, as it implies that there's something wrong or shameful about being poz. Again, I believe it is a valid personal choice (because of work etc.) not to disclose status, but it shouldn't be a policy. With DADT, too, you put a veneer on the issue as it a.) creates a false sense of harmony by stifling discussion (more of a general observation, as it is not the only option on breedingzone) and b.) misrepresents guys who have no problem with talking about their status in private. For those guys "Ask me" would be a better choice, while others would prefer DADT. It's not one instead of the other, IMHO both are necessary.

Call me an idealist, but I truly believe that if everyone was open about his status, barebacking habits its, we'd realize that we are all men and a.) the stigmatization of barebackers and poz men (even by other barebackers) would soon end as well as b.) increased testing and timely medication would eventually put an end to the AIDS scourge.

• Administrators
Again, just my personal opinion: Saying that it is normal not to talk about HIV, is a sad thing, as it implies that there's something wrong or shameful about being poz. Again, I believe it is a valid personal choice (because of work etc.) not to disclose status, but it shouldn't be a policy. With DADT, too, you put a veneer on the issue as it a.) creates a false sense of harmony by stifling discussion (more of a general observation, as it is not the only option on breedingzone) and b.) misrepresents guys who have no problem with talking about their status in private. For those guys "Ask me" would be a better choice, while others would prefer DADT. It's not one instead of the other, IMHO both are necessary.

Call me an idealist, but I truly believe that if everyone was open about his status, barebacking habits its, we'd realize that we are all men and a.) the stigmatization of barebackers and poz men (even by other barebackers) would soon end as well as b.) increased testing and timely medication would eventually put an end to the AIDS scourge.

All I can say is 5 out of the 6 status options encourage people to be open and honest about their status. But then there's the one for the people who don't want to share their status (for whatever reason).