giardia

bosguy

has anyone here ever had giardia? I think I may have it, and I'm looking for information on it? Namely, if it'll go away itself or if I'll need to see a doctor. Any advice would be great, thanks!

I'm sorry to say that I've had giardia. It took about a week after exposure for symptoms to develop, then had to wait a few days more after visiting doctor for tests to confirm the diagnosis.

Definitely won't go away on its own. Fortunately, metronidazole (also known as Flagyl) starts to provide relief relatively quickly.

Having giardia was probably the worse illness I have ever had in my life. Since then, I'm careful to the point of obsessive about rimming .... and absolutely no scat!

I've had it as well, and can confirm that it is absolutely miserable. It definitely won't clear on its own, so go to the doctor asap to confirm. You also can't drink alcohol while you're on the antibiotics they give you (or at least I couldn't - I tried once and vomited red). Hope you're feeling better soon!

So from all of our experiences, I really hope what you take away from this is go to your doctor. One side affect of Flagyl can also be the development of fungal infections (jock itch, toenail fungus, yeast infections) so be on the lookout for those as well.

Giardia ( /dʒiːˈɑrdiə/ or /ˈdʒɑrdiə/) is a genus of anaerobic flagellated protozoan parasites:eek:

Infection and symptoms

Giardia lives inside the intestines of infected humans or other animals. Individuals become infected through ingesting or coming into contact with contaminated food, soil, or water. The Giardia parasite originates from contaminated items and surfaces that have been tainted by the feces of an infected animal.[3]

The symptoms of Giardia, which may begin to appear 2 days after infection, include violent diarrhea, excess gas, stomach or abdominal cramps, upset stomach, and nausea. Resulting dehydration and nutritional loss may need immediate treatment. After 1-2 days of diarrhea, the opposite occurs, constipation for 4-7 days, still with acute gas production. The typical infection within an individual can be slight, resolve without treatment, and last between 2–6 weeks, although sometimes longer and/or more severe. Coexistance with the parasite is possible, symptoms fade, but one can remain a carrier and transmit it to others. Medication containing tinidazole or metronidazole decreases symptoms and time to resolution, albendazole is also used and has an anti-helmintic (anti-worm) property as well, ideal for certain compounded issues when a general vermicidal agent is preferred.

Prevention

Person-to-person transmission accounts for a majority of Giardia infections and is usually associated with poor hygiene and sanitation. Water-borne transmission is associated with the ingestion of contaminated water. In the U.S. outbreaks typically occur in small water systems using inadequately treated surface water. Venereal transmission happens through fecal-oral contamination. Additionally, diaper changing and inadequate hand washing are risk factors for transmission from infected children. Lastly, food-borne epidemics of Giardia have developed through the contamination of food by infected food-handlers.[4]

Doctor, treatment. A lot of intestinal parasites are self limiting, but if you've any reason to suspect that your system is compromised, you're dangerous to people with lowered immune system, whether the cause is HIV, age, other co-morbidity or what. A person with an average immune system can shrug off cryptosporidiosis in a few days. Damn near killed me... You have a responsibility to yourself, and to those you come into contact with. Brotherhood: we look after one another, or am I being impossibly naive?