Are there fields of work where HIV status must be disclosed?

vrsbbltn

I have always wondered what kind of jobs, if any, require you to disclose your HIV status and/or get tested, and if you could be rejected for being positive.

I guess military, health and maybe culinary areas could be like this. But I wonder if any fields of work besides these three are also like this.

I think that if a nurse becomes HIV+, and is already working at a hospital, most probably he cannot be fired, but, if he tries to find a job in another hospital for whatever reason, and must disclose his status, even though he cannot be discriminated because of this, there would be a 99% probability he will be and nothing can be done, as it happens everyday with gays, old people, etc., who are discriminated and its very hard to fight it in courts, to prove it, despite what laws rule.

So, do any of you know of any type of jobs where this is asked, do you or someone you know of feel that HIV status has made it difficult to find a good job, or been rejected from a position even though of being qualified for it?

I appreciate any feedback, as I'm totally ignorant on this.

I don't understand why nurses can't be HIV+ All the protection nurses use are there to prevent that a nurses gets infected. But the same protection ensures that a HIV+ nurse doesn't infect the patient ... so there is no problem for a nurse to be HIV+

HIV is covered by equalities act and your employer doesn't have to know - you have to disclose it to occupational health BUT this is no barrier to employment as a nurse. ALl occupational health with say is either any adaptations to work or resitrictions on duties.

I think there might be a difference between OR nurses and nurses in general. I know that surgeons - due to the risk of cuts (bones can be very sharp) - have to disclose.

Another field is aviation, where it is usually no problem for flight attendants on domestic flights to be poz, but there are problems on international flights, as these FAs cannot be used on routes to countries with archaic HIV laws.

I remember job hunting in south Florida a couple years ago. There was a job opening for a counselor for newly converted HIV+ persons. The job required applicants to be poz, not due to risk of transmission, but because (supposedly) someone who had already come to terms with being HIV+ would be better at counseling others through it.

Guest Matias47

I met a nurse, female, on an HIV dating site and she could do everything but be in the OR.

There's a section at thebody.com where a guy answers legal and workplace questions. Though they really push safe-sex, much of their info is helpful.