Neutering HIV...

• Administrators

A researcher in Australia has figured out how to modify HIV viruses so they don't lead to AIDS.

Researchers at the Queensland Institute of Medical Research, led by Associate Professor Dr. David Harrich, say they have developed a form of gene therapy that turns the HIV protein against itself and ultimately stops it from replicating, according to the Australian Times.

"What we've actually done is taken a normal virus protein that the virus needs to grow, and we've changed this protein, so that instead of assisting the virus, it actually impedes virus replication and does it quite strongly,"

Further testing needs to be done, of course, and Harrich said trials on animals will begin this year. If successful, Harrich's one treatment could replace more traditional, multiple drug therapies. Harrich remarked to ABC that these advances could give HIV patients a way "to go on and live happy and productive lives with as little intrusion as possible."

Source

I wonder if you were infected by someone with the modified virus whether your virus would be modified as well. In that case bug chasing the modified virus would make a lot of sense - it might be able to protect you from the deadly form of HIV.

But best yet it will mean poz guys can go off meds.

It's very exciting news, but it's only a report that such a thing is possible in vitro. In vivo syudies will take longer and human studies longer yet.

It won't necessarily mean that we can go off meds completely: HIV and the meds have left a long bloody track in their wake, if you pardon the somewhat medieval imagery. I've always said that the majority of my medical problems have been caused by being one of the front runners in the race for new medications.

Nevertheless I finally feel that I can say to newly diagnosed people "hang in there for ten years or so (not so difficult now that so many of the problems with meds have been sorted out) and there will be a functional cure"

A researcher in Australia has figured out how to modify HIV viruses so they don't lead to AIDS.

I wonder if you were infected by someone with the modified virus whether your virus would be modified as well. In that case bug chasing the modified virus would make a lot of sense - it might be able to protect you from the deadly form of HIV.

But best yet it will mean poz guys can go off meds.

Hmmm not necessarily... I mean bearbandit is correct in saying that it will take many many many many years before it will be widely used on humans.

Genetic sharing between viruses does occur, however the probability of HIV sharing this one gene is highly unlikely.

Generally genetic information is exchanged through such things as homologous recombination (which requires a minimum region of homology to occur).

Now then they can insert this gene at a site near a region of homology, however, this will only work for other HIV of the same strain (or clones of that particular specimen and by strain I don't mean HIV1/2).

as there is a great genetic variance between different people, this is highly unlikely.

Another problem with this is that (from my understanding at least) the HIV will become latent (and therefore it is in the lysogenic cycle), so the treated person will still have the HIV DNA imbedded within their genome, however the HIV will be unable to replicate and therefore, very difficult to actually spread

Guest JizzDumpWI

Science continues. Indeed we are at a time in history where the current medications do a pretty good job with relatively less side effects. But they'll continue this sort of research not only for HIV; but for a host of other viral conditions. I'm glad the research continues...