OraQuick?

Guest BtmByTheBay

Guest BtmByTheBay

I've recently heard about over-the-counter oral HIV tests you can get at drug stores. Anyone else made use of these? I'm curious to know experiences and opinions . . .

Guest JizzDumpWI

The only downside is that it doesn't test for other STI's. That's what your local STD clinic has over OraQuick. BUT, if you're in a job situation (for example) it might make sense to know HIV result before heading to your favorite clinic.

• 3 weeks later...

Oraquick is indeed a good accurate test, but as others have said, if you are a sexually active gay man who rarely uses condom, you really need screened for other STI's too. Plenty of STI's in gay men can go undetected because they can be asymptomatic. Syphilis is a good example of that, and can lead to neurological problems among other things if untreated.

OraQuick has been used for years in professional settings. If you go to an STD clinic, that's what they'll probably use to test you (and not just STD clinics, either--lots of clinics, hospitals, doctors, etc., use OraQuick on a daily basis). It's super accurate, and if it gives any wrong reading (very rare), it will be a false positive rather than a false negative.

It's just new on the over-the-counter market, which may be why you haven't heard of it.

• 3 months later...

I have used the OraQuick at home test. My only gripe with it is that it costs $40. I think it could be a little more cost effective than that, especially considering that there is so much unnecessary packaging that comes in the kit (when you try it, you'll see what I mean). If they cut some of that crap out, maybe it could cost only $20 or $30.

But anyway, that gripe aside... What I really like about it is that I gain the following advantages using the OraQuick over having to go to a clinic to be tested:

- No need to worry about clinic hours (their hours during the week are usually erratic, at least the ones by me). You can take this test whenever you want.

- No waiting room anxiety- there is nothing I hate more than getting the test and then being told to wait in the waiting room for a half hour, wondering...

- Though it is pricey, the cost is about the same as an insurance copay if you go to a doctor or Planned Parenthood- only way to beat that is go to a free clinic.

- I have the peace of mind knowing that IF the test should come back positive, I can have some time to myself to figure out how I am going to proceed with my life. I can inform who needs to be informed and worry about going to a doctor to get confirmatory testing and meds. I know I don't have to worry about having ten clinicians up my ass bombarding me with 54 questions about my most recent partners and our sexual roles, etc... I can just deal with it myself.