BBBH Website and Trademark

JockTopNyc

Sorry if we're not supposed to talk about this. Seems like bbbh is a collective membership mark. It can be used by anyone who meets the organization criteria or goals. Trademark doesn't reward the first person to "coin" an idea. It's always consumer focused. I've battled Trademark disputes before. It's a nauseating process. But eventually you win or enter into a settlement agreement.

• Administrators

Discussion of the general issues surrounding BBBH is welcomed. iBi did what he did and the discussion of him and his actions should end. But I welcome the discussion of BBBH in general. What does BBBH mean? Who should be entitled to use the term? What are the limits on use? etc.

To your point - a collective membership mark is owned by a organization.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collective_trade_mark

In this case there is no legally recognized organization, hence even that kind of trademark doesn't apply.

I'm 99% confident that my use of BBBH is 1) legal, and 2) within the bounds of what most in the BBBH community would say is a good, acceptable use. I'm pushing forward with the site as envisioned.

Guest JizzDumpWI

Thanks rawTOP. So what will BBBH stand for? Brotherhood or bunkhouse? Of the two I lean more towards bunkhouse. Reminiscent to me of bathhouse (which migh be a good name if not taken).

• Administrators
Thanks rawTOP. So what will BBBH stand for? Brotherhood or bunkhouse? Of the two I lean more towards bunkhouse. Reminiscent to me of bathhouse (which might be a good name if not taken).

I don't think it's my place to change the meaning of BBBH. So it'll continue to be Bareback Brotherhood. Except in a year or two when I put out an iPhone app then I'll call that Bareback Bunkhouse. It will be pretty tongue and cheek so everyone will know Bunkhouse is just a joke to get past Apple's censors. It'll be "the app for gay cowboys looking for temporary accommodations". I should be able to say things like "looking to be on the top bunk" without it being considered sexually explicit. Only "family friendly" photos will be in the app, etc. The idea is a bit too kitsch to be the concept for the main site.

The reason I really want to use Brotherhood is because of what it embodies. To me #BBBH is a community united through the giving and taking of anal loads. The power of the Brotherhood concept is that you cum inside someone and you become part of them. Then they cum inside someone and pass pass part of your essence on. Or to put it another way, the more you give and take loads the closer you get to what it really means to be part of BBBH.

And to be clear, I think the concept has been around since at least the late '90s (and probably pre-HIV/AIDS as well). It's just someone finally gave it a name and an abbreviation. Just like the term "bareback" didn't exist before HIV/AIDS - bareback was just regular sex. IMHO, this really isn't a concept anyone can own. At most a few of us are custodians of the concept, but our job is to keep it true to its fundamentals.

Edited by rawTOP

Hi Rawtop. I was going to say that you should use both of the titles/terms to name the site. That way people will be familiar with both terms if you need to switch it up and loss one term. However, you just argued the point of not using that term as a title or description. You will have to save that title and use it later to post the app on Apple. Then again we may have already tarnished the name by speaking of it on here.

I believe that the starting page needs to have a paragraph or few from you (the site owner), describing what you think the site is and the goals of the site to the community as a whole. From all of the post you, have highlighted several fluid points. I recommend that you take out a piece of paper and start composing these thoughts. All of this information will eventually slide to the about page, but I think a lot of the visitors to the site will get a strong sense of what is and what you don't want the site to focus on or turn into. (bugchasing not, stealthing not, being one with another, etc)

• Administrators
I believe that the starting page needs to have a paragraph or few from you (the site owner), describing what you think the site is and the goals of the site to the community as a whole. From all of the post you, have highlighted several fluid points. I recommend that you take out a piece of paper and start composing these thoughts. All of this information will eventually slide to the about page, but I think a lot of the visitors to the site will get a strong sense of what is and what you don't want the site to focus on or turn into. (bugchasing not, stealthing not, being one with another, etc)

I'm not going to impose one concept of BBBH - it means different things to different people. But there does seem to be a central core (giving/taking anal loads), so I'll focus on that.

Bug chasers will be welcome. But I am planning features where if guys don't want to see a particular type of guy (say a bug chaser) that those people can be filtered out. The lesson I've learned from this site is don't scare people off. So that's my approach with BBBH.com.

Stealthers do their thing on non-bareback sites so they're not really an issue. I mean you can't stealth someone who wants to get fucked raw and take your load.