HIV - is the message getting through?

rangus

The do-gooders succeeded in de-stigmatizing HIV and letting guys know that it is not a death sentence. And the drug companies succeeded in glamorizing HIV-infected men and making once-daily meds look as easily manageable as a multi-vitamin. So yes, the messages got through.

Well ironically I completely agree with this.

Many people today, especially young people are VERY naive about HIV. I've even had conversations with a few guys that I know bareback about PrEP, saying that its very effective, and a great way to stay neg. Even then about 50% of them are unsure, and say things like "I think i will be okay" and "I don't like taking pills if I dont have to" Even more ironic is that in both cases they were gay black men where the infection rate in that community is roughly 50%.

I think that for more than a few guys they either a) just dont care, or B) are completely apathetic to the whole thing. They see HIV as a more manageable diabetes, or high blood pressure, not something that can kill. Even more so I think that many of the guys underestimate the stigma that HIV causes. I know more than a few guys who would never seriously date an HIV+ person, and that really limits options. Many of the HIV+ undetectable guys I meet say are actually surprised I take it in as much stride as I do, and they are really happy to meet a neg guy who isnt afraid of them. But until they are infected it seems many guys dont understand HIV is still a lot more than a pill a day. Infact even with treatment, and good health over 75% of HIV+ men will still develop PCP pneumonia at some point... something that is rare in HIV- people in good health.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic