Do you worry about other STI's? How much?

wood

Just as the topic says.

Because I am Neg on PrEP, I rarely worry about HIV anymore. I still ask status, and when tested, but unless they are not on meds, and highly virulent, it doesn't make much of a difference to me.

What I have noticed I do think about is other infections, even if they are treatable. Ironically I have never had an STI that I am aware of, but it is still always in the back of my mind. I really have no desire to go to the doctor, and get painful shots in the ass, or deal with things like herpes. One of the things that I do always ask partners is if they not only got tested for HIV but other STI's. This is one of the reasons I tend to almost never go to bathhouses, and have never had anonymous sex. Anyone else feel this way?

Guest JizzDumpWI

I catch the occasional STI, but test every 3 months, or more often if my inner slut is particularly active. Herpes, been with me for years... Acyclovir 3x daily though keeps that in check. When there is a single shot solution, I go for it. Only hurts for a short time. A shame there isn't a PrEP for other STI's.....

I've said it once and I'll say it again - If you Bareback, you pay later - It's as simple as that. There are STI/STDS out there, and Yes Herpes is easily treatable as well. If you don't want a shot or two in your ass (It only hurts for bit) then keep your dick wrapped or the dick that is going into your wrapped. I test every 90 days, if not sooner if I suspect an STD. Enjoy Barebacking because to me it's the only sex that counts!

"Is anyone surprised more advanced animals like to fuck around? Monogamy is bad for a species. Promiscuous animals, generally, have a higher white blood cell count, making them more resistant to disease. And because monogamy limits breeding options, species are more prone to extinction when they choose only one mate."

^and this is why I enjoy phpBB code lol.

On a serious note, this may shine a little light into why some of us don't get an STI as easy as others. Of course, this doesn't mean that those of us who have large amounts of partners are going to be resistant to disease. I quoted this because it helps make a point: numerous partners may increase your risk, but more exposure to diseases/infections is going to help your body develop a better immune system. It's kind of like the 'pill for everything' idea versus living in a developing country with dirty tap water; if your body is used to the exposure, you're much less likely to have a problem (granted you're body is healthy, and you have properly inherited anti-bodies from your parents). But, my overall point is more direct than this lol.

Personally, I would rather take the risks with strangers, while exercising the "common sense" rule of not fucking someone when I just feel uncomfortable. I am more put off by fearing I won't enjoy the sex, or that I won't be good enough, over getting a disease. I've only turned partners down because of my lack of interest, never once because of the risk involved; however, if I saw a dick/vagina/whatever that just didn't look right, and made me wonder if I'm sane enough to fuck it, I'd turn it out. That kind of instinct is correlated to the same ones that we have for breeding; you choose a mate based on certain fertility markers and/or features that would produce the best offspring for you. If the potential partner appears unhealthy, most of us, in theory, should have some sort of awkward feeling that prevents us from desiring that partner; this helps us choose a better partner that will likely have better offspring. Using this instinct can help avoid certain types of infection. You can thank Darwin for that.

As far as shots/etc., you will only need that stuff IF you have something. With herpes, take the advice from my doctor, "If you have no symptoms, there's nothing to worry about." The chance of you having herpes is very high, and the actual chance that you'd test positive for it is not entirely accurate. Many people have it and always test negative, just like many people have it and never test for it because of the lack of symptoms. If you don't have it and don't have symptoms, you could infect someone... but considering the actual chance of someone having it, not on meds, and having sex between outbreaks is actually quite effective (even if risky), the chance of someone with no symptoms infecting another person is extremely low. Not to mention, herpes is one of those infections that's pretty much like a common cold to many; you may get it, but it never bothers you, if at all; and, for those who are effected by it, they can manage it very easily, with a high success rate. It's much more manageable than HIV, yet many people seem to be even more freaked out by herpes than HIV. Herpes is overplayed by everyone, except by my doctor and myself. ;)

Even if you don't go outside of people you trust for sex, people lie. Some people lie better than others, and some get away with bigger lies than most; but, my point is that trusting a certain group of people is not much more of a leap of faith than trusting some random guy at a bathhouse. I won't say anything too incriminating, but I was once given a forged government document, by a military recruiter, so I could lie to my boss about "not getting accepted" into the US military, just so I wouldn't have special treatment at work (like not getting a raise). Everybody lies; the only variable is what the lie is about.

At this point in my life, I have little fear of other STD's. I have recently converted poz and that was my biggest fear. I had syphilis two years ago and was diagnosed with herpes 3 years ago. The syphilis was a penicillin shot in the ass and it was gone. The herpes I still question whether I really have or not (the tests are said to be highly unreliable) and I have never had a single outbreak, not even once (knock on wood).

Right now, the only STD I somewhat worry about is Hep C, though I don't do any kinds of drugs nor play with guys that do. I have also heard that the jury is still out on whether it can be transmitted sexually as many seem to believe it is a direct blood to blood transmission. Those aside, I know that the others- gono, chlamydia, syph, etc are easily curable. Not to say that I would want them, but if I did get them, they aren't going to destroy my life. I already am poz, so that's the big one I no longer have to worry about.

As someone who was around in the 70s here in NY STDs, specifically gonorrhea, was a way of life, so to speak. Everyone made regular visits to the clinics. Having fairly recently (for various reasons) gotten back in the game I'm glad that this is no longer the case, but I suspect that as more and more people bareback this will change and we'll be back to what we had. Not a good thing. The biggest fear are those "antibiotic resistant" strains that everyone has always talked about.

As someone who was around in the 70s here in NY STDs, specifically gonorrhea, was a way of life, so to speak. Everyone made regular visits to the clinics. Having fairly recently (for various reasons) gotten back in the game I'm glad that this is no longer the case, but I suspect that as more and more people bareback this will change and we'll be back to what we had. Not a good thing. The biggest fear are those "antibiotic resistant" strains that everyone has always talked about.

The real problem is not the strains that become 'resistant' but the way we handle diseases. The only way these viruses/diseases become resistant is by the abuse of our cures for them; this is primarily antibiotics. It's the whole Darwinian natural selection thing at work, and most doctors don't seem to understand this. Sure, we always want the illness to go away, as fast as possible, and to not be inconvenienced by it; but when we know how these viruses mutate, we should probably take precautions to ensure this doesn't happen as easily. I'm not trying to advocate the reinvention of the wheel, but we need to figure something out to prevent these issues from arising.

Also, as I posted in another thread, when we stop being monogamous, our bodies develop stronger immune systems to fight off infections. Sure, we may see a rise in infections in the short term, but that's how your body learns to fight back. You can't train soldiers by keeping them locked in solitary confinement, you need to let them go out and get experience! If the virus starts to win, give the abody a boost; but if the body is handling things well, just be sure you give it proper nutrients. People have been letting their immune systems die off because of a fear of getting sick, which is entirely ironic.