Shooting blanks

i know there are a lot of knowledgeable people on here and even a few in the medical community, so i'm hoping i might get at least a general answer here..

last year went through a bit of a cancer scare... i had a type of skin cancer in the fatty folds surrounding the sphincter which had to be treated with chemo and 6 grueling weeks of radiation of the pelvis... the question i have here is:

my doctors warned me before the radiation that it would leave me infertile and i would never have the ability to produce children, being gay i really wasn't worried about that. now i know i dont produce as much sperm as i used to but i still put out a lot of semen (the watery carrier for the sperm) is the DNA of HIV more prevalent in the semen or in the sperm itself? just curious sine if the answer is sperm would that further reduce the risk of transmission in a undetectable person?

Guest JizzDumpWI

Rawdad4sons; you definitely have me curious. I suspect semen not sperm; pretty much for the same reason it is in blood, not necessarily anal tissue itself; but I don't actually know...

Rawdad4sons; you definitely have me curious. I suspect semen not sperm; pretty much for the same reason it is in blood, not necessarily anal tissue itself; but I don't actually know...
Really good question since I was cut years ago but I'm guessing it's the fluid.

• 3 weeks later...

HIV isn't in the sperm cells, It's in the liquid part of the semen. That's why they can do sperm washing so a Poz daddy to be can have a kid based on his own DNA, without endangering the mother. I don't know if they do that much any more, or if the just use PrEP.

Most Semen is produced elsewhere, not in the balls. Only about 5% is produced in the Testes. Most of the viral particles are free floating in the seminal fluids. Some CD4 cells are also shed into the semen. With an uncontrolled viral load a chunk of them are going to be in the process of producing viruses.

There was a study that said HIV will bind to sperm. That may allow it to be carried further into the system.

But now researchers have found that peptides clustered together into long fibres may be more important for HIV transmission than seminal viral load. They physically capture the virus and help it interact with the cells that it will infect.