Considering a move to LA

Hey there SoCal pigs,

I'm reaching a point in my life where I'm making a number of changes, affecting pretty much everything but my love of lots of hot raw sex with all kinds of men LOL

So I'm thinking of moving somewhere new, and the LA area is one of the places on my list of possibilities, mostly because of the hopefully steady supply of guys like me.

Anyone have any information they can give me about general job prospects, good places to live, and information about the gay scene, especially as applies to bears, leathermen and raw sex pigs.

As far a living arrangements, I'd prefer something small and affordable (studio apartments are fine; my own needs are pretty spartan), but in or relatively close to a gay friendly neighborhood. I'm planning on building my transportation around biking, walking and transit, although I do currently have a pickup truck (which I'd probably sell before moving to a city like LA) and I'm working on a plan to acquire a motorcycle.

As far as work goes, I'm pretty much a jack of all trades, but have experience driving trucks (even in LA!) doing remodeling work, working in a kitchen, and even as a cubicle dwelling wage slave.

And finally, anything about the general vibe of the city...what you love, what you hate, whether you'd move there again or can't wait to leave and why.

Feel free to post to this thread for the benefit of others, though I have only very intermittent access to this site right now, and would heartily appreciate an email sent to me at geoffguth (at) gmail (dot) com, especially if you'd like to make contact in anticipation of the move and/or want to send me any dirty pictures :)

Timeframe on this is about six months to a year from now.

Thanks guys!

• 2 weeks later...

Just checking in again to see what's up. I've been doing a little research online and have been thinking about possible neighborhoods. Silver Lake seems like it would be right up my alley, but it's a bit pricy. Echo Park looks a bit more in line with what I'd be interested in, and not too far from the scene. Koreatown looks like another possibility.

Anyone care to comment on good neighborhoods to check out? Which are gay friendly, close to the active cruising spots (bars, baths, dark alleys and parks :) )?

If you're thinking about moving to SoCal, LA is definitely one place that has a pretty vibrant community of bears, leather man and raw sex pigs that you're looking for. As you've found, Silverlake and it's surrounding areas are centrally located to the gay scene you're looking for. Probably the most important thing to know about LA is that being close to work is probably far more important to being close to the gay scene. After all, it's easier to commute to the scene at night and on weekends than it is to commute to work during the day. Depending on where you work, other pockets where you may want to live are Hollywood, North Hollywood, Van Nuys (cheaper), Valley Village, Highland Park and Eagle Rock. All are within an easy drive to the Silverlake scene. LA is what you make it: it's a huge city with millions of people...and a lot of job prospects. With a city the size of LA you get a huge variety of social, sports, cultural, sex-related and other groups. Connect with any number of them that pique your interest.

Another SoCal city with a vibrant gay life for bears, leather men and raw sex pigs is Palm Springs, 2 hours east of LA. For a smaller city it has a huge gay male community. Life in general is slower there in that the town shuts down week nights by about 9:00. Because it's a gay "destination" city, however, the steady stream of weekend visitors from LA, San Diego, Phoenix and longer-term vacationers from elsewhere around the country make it seem bigger than it is. There's also LOTS of raw sex pig parties...even more so than LA. Housing is also much cheaper than LA, yet so are wages. Because of the smaller population, there are fewer job prospects, yet PS is just one city in the Coachella Valley so the other 10 or so cities there can possibly offer more jobs.

San Diego is also a good prospect. At about 1 million population, it's a very livable city. Also has a vibrant gay scene that you're looking for.

All 3 of these cities are spread out so you'll need a car. Pubic Trans in LA and San Diego is very limited. Non existent in PS. So I would get rid of your pickup. If you're gonna work, you'll need to drive. Biking it or using public Trans probably won't work. Given how much driving you may have to do, a motorcycle as your primary source of trans may not be practical for a variety of reasons.