Saliva Test

Remember the Iceberg adverts on TV? I worked on the helpline that backed them up and I feel I can say fairly confidently that you are one of what we used to call the "worried well". I suggest you look in the phone book for your nearest STI or GUM clinic and go along for a blood test. That will be conclusive. Should it turn out positive (which I think is what your guilt feelings want) I will do everything in my power (which probably isn't much) to support you. Should it turn out negative (as I fully expect it will) all I can do is suggest you get in touch with a counsellor to resolve the issues the that are causing you so much stress.

• 3 weeks later...
Eight years??? So have you had this kit for all of those eight years that you describe as buying "a few months back"? If that is the case, get yourself a new oraquick test. Or, better yet, get to and STD clinic and get the whole STI screening rather than just HIV....

Just did one of those myself. Was a bit concerned with some of the symptoms I'd been showing for a while now, so I bought one. Turns out I'm still neg, and that those symptoms are attributed to my workplace. But yeah, definitely get a fresh test/kit.

Just did one of those myself. Was a bit concerned with some of the symptoms I'd been showing for a while now, so I bought one. Turns out I'm still neg, and that those symptoms are attributed to my workplace. But yeah, definitely get a fresh test/kit.

Well the kit was all sealed and had a use by date of the end of this year. The test came back negative.

Test came back negative. How accurate are saliva tests? do you need alot of saliva for a result?

Oral HIV tests don't use saliva. They use secretions from around the gums on your mouth where HIV antibodies can be found. If you didn't swab your gums the results of the test are invalid.

• 4 weeks later...