Starting Prep

Guest TravelGuy4Bareback

Guest TravelGuy4Bareback

Have decided to start PrEP treatment. Feel I've been blessed to not be HIV+ after 10+ years of barebacking and many times with either Poz guys or guys who status I didn't know. I didn't want to go to my regular doctor as he is in my small town and I know the nurses outside of work and people don't know about my lifestyle. I called the doctor who treats most of the HIV+ guys in the city about 20 mins away from me. This doctor has been big into HIV treatment since the early 80's. I thought this would be the best bet for me to get treatment.

I made the call yesterday and got the run around for about 5 mins, being transferred to multiple people. None of them didn't even know what I was talking about. Key, don't call it PrEP treatment, call it Prophylaxis treatment. I finally got transferred to the doctor's main receptionist and she knew what I was talking about. She asked why I wanted it, if my partner was HIV+ already. I just told her lifestyle choices. She informed me they would have to talk to the doctor first, as PrEP is new and they have new policies to follow on it. She took my name and number.

Today they called back. I thought they had blown me off actually. They had a few more questions to ask me, mostly about insurance and life, nothing sexual. They scheduled the appointment for next week. Guessing there will be more questions next week, blood work and hope to have the Rx written the same day. Doing my mail order prescription service, as a 90 supply shows to be $75 for me. And with the co-pay assistance card, it will be free overall.

Have decided to start PrEP treatment. Feel I've been blessed to not be HIV+ after 10+ years of barebacking and many times with either Poz guys or guys who status I didn't know. I didn't want to go to my regular doctor as he is in my small town and I know the nurses outside of work and people don't know about my lifestyle. I called the doctor who treats most of the HIV+ guys in the city about 20 mins away from me. This doctor has been big into HIV treatment since the early 80's. I thought this would be the best bet for me to get treatment.

I made the call yesterday and got the run around for about 5 mins, being transferred to multiple people. None of them didn't even know what I was talking about. Key, don't call it PrEP treatment, call it Prophylaxis treatment. I finally got transferred to the doctor's main receptionist and she knew what I was talking about. She asked why I wanted it, if my partner was HIV+ already. I just told her lifestyle choices. She informed me they would have to talk to the doctor first, as PrEP is new and they have new policies to follow on it. She took my name and number.

Today they called back. I thought they had blown me off actually. They had a few more questions to ask me, mostly about insurance and life, nothing sexual. They scheduled the appointment for next week. Guessing there will be more questions next week, blood work and hope to have the Rx written the same day. Doing my mail order prescription service, as a 90 supply shows to be $75 for me. And with the co-pay assistance card, it will be free overall.

10+ years of barebacking and still neg? Maybe you are homozygous for CCR5-Delta32 and you are immune to HIV. You may want to test for this, PrEP maybe redundant.

PrEP stands for Pre exposure Prophylaxis, that's why the doctors know it for that name.

Hopefully all will go well and you'll be on PrEP soon.

Guest TravelGuy4Bareback

10+ years of barebacking and still neg? Maybe you are homozygous for CCR5-Delta32 and you are immune to HIV. You may want to test for this, PrEP maybe redundant.

PrEP stands for Pre exposure Prophylaxis, that's why the doctors know it for that name.

Hopefully all will go well and you'll be on PrEP soon.

Others have said I should test for that. I've done 3 tests in the past month, all neg. All part of a at-home study by a university. They send you three at home kits. One oral, two blood. Two of the three tests are rapid results, and the third is a mail-in test. They only contact you if your third mail-in test is a different result than the two rapid tests. My two rapids were neg and I never received a call about my mail-in test.